Surveyors - words of encouragement req'd

Windfall

Visit site
Surveyors - words of encouragement req\'d

AGHH

We've just (3 weeks ago) bought a She 31b (beautiful boat) that has been neglected for a long long time. We bought her without a survey.....it was clear to our eyes what was wrong (lots) and the broker let us have a copy of a survey carried out last May. We've been steadily working through those recommendations - loads of silly fitting out errors - eg gas pipe going through 2 90 degree bends by just creasing the copper pipe - but have chosen to leave the blister/wet bottom problem till next Winter. We find we can't insure without a survey (she's a 70's boat). The original survey declared her a mess but structually sound with no significant problems. We can't get a legit copy of that survey for the insurers so have commissioned another one, his initial comments? That she's a very poor moulding and he has some grave concerns.

Our thoughts now? (apart from spending the eveing staring into the bottom of my beer glass) how can a boat change so much in 8 months? - she's been ashore the whole time?

Should we just disregard either survey? both surveys? carry on crying? or spend yet more money on a 3rd surveyor?

Any words of comfort gratefully rec'd.

ex - Windfall

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site
Re: Surveyors - words of encouragement req\'d

Hi,
I would be interested to know how much you paid for the boat, because if it was a cheapie, well just sort out the practical problems, get her ready for sea and go sailing! Don't worry too much about the bottom, it 's probably unlikely to fall out just yet. The thing that I've found with copies of other people'ssurveys is that they are very easily photocopied, with important chunks blanked out and you'd never know!In my experience, there aren't actually many really good surveyors around, although the ones that are can be helpful. For peace of mind and probably not too much money, you could get one to come along to look at the hull for a couple of hours, tell him how much you paid for the boat, that you just want to sail her locally for the next 2-3 years, don't want to spend too much dosh etc., and ask him for a realistic appraisal of the bottom, ie that she's not going to sink beneath you, which she aint! Then expect to sell her cheaply again when you've had your fun.
I would personally recommend Tony S-B

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site

Either shop around the insurers to find one that doesn't require a survey or does, but understands that osmosis is almost never a terminal problem; or shop around the surveyors to find one that takes a less cataclysmic view about a few blisters. All you'd need would be a new hull survey presumably, not the full nine yards.

Rock and hard place situation, though. Maybe you'll have to bite the bullet and do something about the bumps and lumps sooner rather than later.

PS - is there an Owners' Association that has a favourite surveyor?

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site

Well, a 70's boat isn't gonna have a totallty brilliant ace fab moulding anyway, now is it? have a look at yachtsurveys.co.uk - seems loads of boats have some osmosis (if that's the problem) and it can be cured not to much of a prob. And, it's not too much of a prob anyway - a few blisters isn't dire.

It can't be the case that every insurer needs a survey before taking on a new vessel can it? - else there would be zillions of surveyors belting around the place.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Yup, that\'s what its come to.

All part of creeping bureaucratisation and the compensation culture. You need insurance to enter a marina and the insurers require a surveyors report. Forget about the survey being for the purchaser's benefit.

Course, no two surveyors ever say the same thing. To keep the insurers satisfied, any chance Windfall could get the surveyor that did her 8 months ago, again?

Windfall

Visit site
Re: Yup, that\'s what its come to.

Yup we could if we're prepared to part with yet another arm & a leg....and between the two of us we're rapidly running out!

<hr width=100% size=1>

wpsalm

Visit site

Pardon for butting in here sorry for your problems but the thing that caught my eye was needing insurance for entering a marina. Is this typical of U.K. marinas and does it extend to other facilitys moorings etc. ?? also what kind of insurance ,would have thought 3rd party for sure, but if so why a survey ?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site

I had problems getting cover from a UK insurance company for my new old yacht. Apparently leisure marine insurance is not profitable at the moment and in the last few months insurers have become choosey about what new risks they take on.

I was contemplating an uninsured delivery trip back to the UK when the Dutch broker stepped in and got cover for me from a Dutch company.

Have you looked at 3rd party only insurance?

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site

Compulsory 3rd party insurance is part of the standard conditions recommended by the Yacht Harbours Association and adopted by most if not all of the larger and more modern marinas. This applies to visitors as well as residents though in practice visitors are not required to show proof.

Changes to international maritime liability laws are making marinas more particular about this.

Small family 'mud-creek' yards though generally are not so particular.

In the past there was no concern with moorings, but the same condition is beginning to appear in the terms for publicly (local authority) owned moorings.

<hr width=100% size=1>