Sunseeker Stand - Southampton Boat Show 2021

DAW

Visit site
Your reputation proceeds you……….they know your a fender kicker !

Based on my experience at the shows in Cannes, Genoa and Monaco over the last few weeks, I think the better brokers for brands like Sunseeker, Princess, Ferretti Group. etc. are working flat out on putting together off-market deals for customers that they know are serious buyers. They know which owners are looking to place orders for new boats in 2022 or might be persuaded to do so if the price is right, which of their brokerage clients might consider upgrading and which used boats are easy to move quickly.

At one of the recent shows, I mentioned that I might be considering an upgrade to something larger ... this generated the opportunity to view a couple of used boats which are not currently on the market (owners in discussion on something new), 2-3 new boats which may be available for almost immediate delivery (cancelled orders), firm indications of interest and/or part-exchange value for my existing boat, and reasonably attractive proposals on price and commissions on all of these.

I'm sure they will continue to maintain contact with long-term prospects and will continue to be polite to "fender kickers" at shows, but at the moment, unless you are a credible buyer with the ability to move quickly, you are unlikely to get a lot of their time because they are so busy.

CUE99T

Visit site
DAW.....Chris and I know each other from further afield.....he just likes to yank my chain!! lol

But I'm sure you're right, and I always make it clear that I like to take my time on a large purchase and Ive had a few large car purchases over the years (well large to me - 6 figures) but its also as I like to choose who I buy from so the experience is a pleasure. It's a bit like how my wife likes 1st class and business cvlass when flying, she enjoyes the time on the plane and see's it as a part. ofthe trip, not just the mode of transport to get the the start of the trip if that makes sense.

I'm slow to buy I agree but I like a bargain, and in the current makret I',m concerned about buying too small and then wanting to change and the market downshifts leaving me ..... well sunk! lol

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Based on my experience at the shows in Cannes, Genoa and Monaco over the last few weeks, I think the better brokers for brands like Sunseeker, Princess, Ferretti Group. etc. are working flat out on putting together off-market deals for customers that they know are serious buyers. They know which owners are looking to place orders for new boats in 2022 or might be persuaded to do so if the price is right, which of their brokerage clients might consider upgrading and which used boats are easy to move quickly.

At one of the recent shows, I mentioned that I might be considering an upgrade to something larger ... this generated the opportunity to view a couple of used boats which are not currently on the market (owners in discussion on something new), 2-3 new boats which may be available for almost immediate delivery (cancelled orders), firm indications of interest and/or part-exchange value for my existing boat, and reasonably attractive proposals on price and commissions on all of these.

I'm sure they will continue to maintain contact with long-term prospects and will continue to be polite to "fender kickers" at shows, but at the moment, unless you are a credible buyer with the ability to move quickly, you are unlikely to get a lot of their time because they are so busy.

They do put a lot of effort into their shows.....like F1 :cool:

CUE99T

Visit site
If that was aimed at me, then I think after 2 emails, 2 phone calls and a text which shows as read....but a Salesman who WAS actually sitting talking to no one but sitting on his phone when I passed him.......isnt who I want to work with tbh. I may or may never afford a Y90 or even want one but Ashley at Ancaster who was on the SL showed us around like a true gentleman and I made it clear that I'd probably never be a buyer as I want to be Owner Operator yet couldsnt be nicer.....

a simple text back saying "sure just come see me I'll be at the show wouldn't have been hard"......or was he on the phone to you in good company?

CUE99T

Visit site
Oh and the reason that SL was right opposite the Sunseeker stand is cos they fell out and he cancelled his Ywhatever.....so even a buyer of that size still gets the same treatment by the sounds of it.......

DAW

Visit site
I'm slow to buy I agree but I like a bargain, and in the current makret I',m concerned about buying too small and then wanting to change and the market downshifts leaving me ..... well sunk! lol

I think you are right to be concerned ... Prices for used boats remain very strong today, particularly for recent boats, and there's not much on the market. However, I think there are deals out there if you are working with a good broker who can find you the right boat and make sure you don't overpay. From what I've seen and heard, the gap between asking price and selling price for used boats has got bigger and the discounts available on new boats are also increasing, so the market remains good but is softening somewhat.

stelican

Visit site
If that was aimed at me, then I think after 2 emails, 2 phone calls and a text which shows as read....but a Salesman who WAS actually sitting talking to no one but sitting on his phone when I passed him.......isnt who I want to work with tbh. I may or may never afford a Y90 or even want one but Ashley at Ancaster who was on the SL showed us around like a true gentleman and I made it clear that I'd probably never be a buyer as I want to be Owner Operator yet couldsnt be nicer.....

a simple text back saying "sure just come see me I'll be at the show wouldn't have been hard"......or was he on the phone to you in good company?
Perhaps the salesman was taking a call from a potential customer who had visited earlier during the show. Nobody wants to miss a deal.

CUE99T

Visit site
Possibly......

I guess the bit I don't see is why bother having me on their sales database and send me emails for years inviting me to things and sending me boat offers when I had no intention of buying a 50ft plus as it was no use to me, and then when I actually come to them and say "hey I'd like to try and see what you have in the 50ft plus range" they just don't bother. Seemed a no brainer to me.

Guess everyones different and maybe half the stories of dealers on forums of all types are the truth and people prefer the rose tinted view...each to their own, only telling the facts.

SC35

Visit site
As for fender kicker....hold my beer......

... while I swing my handbag at you from behind :D

I had no problem getting on any of the boats I wanted to on the first day of the show.
That included a £2.9m Princess which I have no hope of ever buying.
Even the Fairline stand was welcoming.
Large Sunseekers: they know who their customers actually are, and prioritize them.

CUE99T

Visit site
Megs, Chris and I have been pals for years and he just likes to wind me up....fairly easily tbh but I concur with the view of him...... he's no einstein! lol

Ian h

Visit site
A few years ago My eldest son and myself went to the Sunseeker factory tour organised by the owners of this forum. we then went to have a look around what they had for sale Asked to view a couple of boats in our price range, The Sales person could not be bothered and just Said they are over there, That was it, From that moment onwards we have said never going to buy a Sunseeker,
The funny bit though was when we went to leave the event. We had parked on site at the sales area in Poole, The Same sales guy was there at the gate and was gutted when we pulled out of the carpark in a brand new Porsche, he was falling over himself to get our details then, Just too late...................

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
A few years ago My eldest son and myself went to the Sunseeker factory tour organised by the owners of this forum. we then went to have a look around what they had for sale Asked to view a couple of boats in our price range, The Sales person could not be bothered and just Said they are over there, That was it, From that moment onwards we have said never going to buy a Sunseeker,
The funny bit though was when we went to leave the event. We had parked on site at the sales area in Poole, The Same sales guy was there at the gate and was gutted when we pulled out of the carpark in a brand new Porsche, he was falling over himself to get our details then, Just too late...................
Pretty Woman syndrome.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
I went to the show and have to say Sunseeker couldn’t have been more helpful. Access to the boats, meetings with all the right people tickets and parking for a return visit the next day, even a couple of branded sun caps.

Boat shows are a nightmare for builders. Everyone’s there to buy a boat, they’re all loaded financially despite outward appearance and all their mates are looking as well.

How is it that I left Southampton feeling that the Sunseeker crew couldn’t have done any more? An open invite to Poole and contact numbers from the MD down.

Those of you who know me will be aware I’m very much associated with Princess who were equally obliging but I can’t sit idly by and see unwarranted criticism.

Just for full balance we also got treated fantastically by Fairline.

Henry :)

Intelmacs

Visit site
Completely agree, Sunseeker was very accomodating at Southampton. I made it clear that I couldn't afford to buy one but would love a look around. Not a problem at all, straight on and didn't make you feel inferior to the customers who were serious. Fell in love with the Predator 55 Evo, what a machine!