Sunseeker Abandons £6M+ of boats on the Medway

tr7v8

Visit site
Am I missing something here? All this stupid hatred for a company that employees 2500 in the UK & earns huge amounts for its exports. As for the above retarded comment, I give up. I now know why I went away from these forums. Although I sold my boat I used to come on here as it was a pleasant place to be.

Paddingtonbear

Visit site
That argument could be applied to the drug cartels of Columbia. On second thoughts perhaps that is where they are going as I don't understand how any honest person could possibly afford one, apart from the odd motor racing driver etc and that small market is not going to keep the company going.

Chris_d

Visit site
That argument could be applied to the drug cartels of Columbia. On second thoughts perhaps that is where they are going as I don't understand how any honest person could possibly afford one, apart from the odd motor racing driver etc and that small market is not going to keep the company going.

I think you need to get out a bit more, Sunseeker only make production Yachts mostly anyway they don't cater for the really rich :D

oldgit

Visit site
They were a pretty impressive sight and along with Princess,Fairline and Sealine are one of the very rare examples where UK PLC can manufacture and export goods capable of comparison with anything in thw world.
Go to any marina any where in Europe and it is stuffed with boats built in UK,while you are there try to find anything else apart from the odd Aston that tells the same story.
Few will be owned by an individual,most will be company owned and eventually all will slide down the food chain to become affordable by more ordinary mortals.

Last edited:

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site

I go to many boat shows throughout the world where Sunseeker are quite often the smallest production boats there. It not only the boats that keep half of Poole in employment but each and every bit that goes in it.

There are many people who can afford such things and most make their money from the simple things in life, I meet many owners (not footballers or drug runners) who often leave me wondering...why did I not think of that.

There are folk out there that own for example Mc Donald's franchises, dating websites, import the next big thing toy wise...and without these people the good folk of Poole (where they are made) would be doing something else, proabbly claiming dole money that you and I pay for...

Have a little look into this industry and it might open up your eyes that little bit more.

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
Looking at Mr Bears previous posts he likes being grumpy, owns a old wooden boat and old volvo which perhaps explains his comments on all things plastic.

As Richard says, nice to have a UK company that has a reputation and sales worldwide. Yes, very few can afford them but it certainly brings money into the country and into Dorset.

watson1959

Visit site

Good grief man.....do you realise how silly that sounds? I suppose Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley and every other luxury brand is similarly 'kept afloat' by the Mafia??

D

Deleted User YDKXO

What a nasty little envious person you are. The very fact that honest people can afford Sunseeker's products and those of other UK boat manufactures keeps tens of thousands of people gainfully employed in this country, contributes to our export effort at a time when we badly need it and generates considerable tax revenue for the country.

rustybarge

Visit site
No guarding. Just a quartet of Marie Cellestes. Not very well tied up either.

They are pretty 'orrible things, all wavy gell coat and all that. The "teak" furniture on the rear sundeck or whatever the exposed bit is called is getting a bit dirty now.
Is it me, or is there not a lot of room once you leave the ginormous wheelhouse/greenhouse bit?

and before anyone says it, I am not jealous.

Anyway, I will be down there this w/end - so will report back. Perhaps. After I have been to the brewery. Did I mention that? A brewery in / near the marina?

+1

I agree with bass player,
these boats are 'ghastly', crass, low class, chav taste, Tupperware boats. Bet they have designer disco plastic interiors to match ( mirrors on the ceilings?)

I was once invited by a friend of my sis onto a super yacht in Antibes by a member of the crew who was the chef. It was an aluminium 50 mtr jet powered Mobo, originally owned by a middle eastern prince, then bought by a Russian oligarch......you get the picture. Cost £60 m new. Disco interior etc.....fits the description above.

You know what they say, money is great impediment to taste.

Last edited:

dash300

Visit site
+1

I agree with bass player,
these boats are 'ghastly', crass, low class, chav taste, Tupperware boats. Bet they have designer disco plastic interiors to match ( mirrors on the ceilings?)

I was once invited by a friend of my sis onto a super yacht in Antibes by a member of the crew who was the chef. It was an aluminium 50 mtr jet powered Mobo, originally owned by a middle eastern prince, then bought by a Russian oligarch......you get the picture. Cost £60 m new. Disco interior etc.....fits the description above.

You know what they say, money is great impediment to taste.

Not to my taste either, but boating would be pretty dull if we all had the same taste in boats. Another saying - variety is the spice of life.:)

xyachtdave

Visit site
What a nasty little envious person you are. The very fact that honest people can afford Sunseeker's products and those of other UK boat manufactures keeps tens of thousands of people gainfully employed in this country, contributes to our export effort at a time when we badly need it and generates considerable tax revenue for the country.

+1
Have a look through PB's previous posts and you'll notice a theme......

rustybarge

Visit site
Not to my taste either, but boating would be pretty dull if we all had the same taste in boats. Another saying - variety is the spice of life.:)

This how I see it.
Good taste has got nothing to do with money. You can have a starving artist from a poor background with exquisite taste. He may live in a council house, furnished with with old country furniture bought in the flea market, yet still have taste based on the classical style. He may wear charity shop cloths, gave old scruffed shoes and long hair, yet have that hard to define good taste and style.

Contrast that to the crass Delboy slab sided chav super yacht style. It's the in your face ' I've made it' syndrome. Best example of that is ' two jags Prescott' and Alan Sugar, I hesitate to use the word ' lords of the realm'.

What's the world coming to??

Last edited:

Crabman

Visit site
Your all only jealous coz you havn't got one .I would buy one if it had a pole dancing pole to go with the disco ball. You should worry more about the UK goverment charging 81 pence tax on a litre of petrol and that does not include vat and the UK is still skint.

reginaldon

Visit site
Mystery solved!

They all had to take refuge from the recent furious tempest and went into Dover Marina - maybe a bit cheaper there?

dash300

Visit site
This how I see it.
Good taste has got nothing to do with money. You can have a starving artist from a poor background with exquisite taste. He may live in a council house, furnished with with old country furniture bought in the flea market, yet still have taste based on the classical style. He may wear charity shop cloths, gave old scruffed shoes and long hair, yet have that hard to define good taste and style.

Contrast that to the crass Delboy slab sided chav super yacht style. It's the in your face ' I've made it' syndrome. Best example of that is ' two jags Prescott' and Alan Sugar, I hesitate to use the word ' lords of the realm'.

What's the world coming to??

Taste will always be highly subjective. We had a similar post a little while back in relation to Thames side dwellings. I happen to like Green Oak post and beam construction. Others are more Huf House. Variety is what makes the riverside interesting.