henryf

www.911virgin.com
Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace;
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go;
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for its living;

Sunday’s child sails under a blue ensign and is a bit rude, even on lovely Sunny Sundays.

There we were heading back from the Hamble to Portsmouth more or less following the North channel at the astonishing rate of 7 knots. It was a lovely Sunny day, what wind there was came from the West and there was a bit of tide running with us so engines at tick over, auto pilot set to Gilkicker point and we settled down to a delightful Mid-day potter. No pressure other than the promise of Sunday lunch in Trinity’s at the lightship, Haslar Marina.

Being as how we were going so slowly it allowed us to make full use of the margins of Solent thus avoiding most of the traffic. A clump of sailists heading West were avoided as they congregated together pointing in all directions, I suspect it was some sort of rally and they were trying to round a racing mark. It looked chaotic.

Some way off to our port side was a yacht matching our speed. For 15 minutes we cruised like this until the yacht slowly crept towards us and went to cross our bow. Obviously were we on the plane I would have allowed a large margin but as we were both at sailing speed with a closing speed of less than a knot things weren’t so critical.

Technically you could argue the yacht was overtaking us but I had no interest in such things. Just as I was about to pull the engines out of gear to drop back and allow the yacht to cross in front of us an arm shot out from the female skipper pointing across us. I swept my arm across to indicate the course was clear and she was welcome to carry on. They crossed in front of us heading in the general direction of Ryde.

Now I’m not a needy person but a friendly wave would have been nice. They didn’t even look back. Their daughter carried on tapping away on her phone, hubby busied himself doing what ever it is you do to make a yacht sail with the wind and they drifted off.

I know we are a motor boat, I know we are lower than dirt because we only have a red ensign and I know in your mind you pictured us hurtling along at 25 knots. But we were doing 6.9 knots. I was testing the Chief officer on tides and depths as we predicted depth under the keel to within a few cm. The highlight of our excitement was when we went to investigate some yellow debris which turned out to be a flaccid racing mark in need of more air.

Cheer up a bit skipper and feel the love.

Henry :)

benjenbav

Visit site
I had a similar feeling yesterday. I spend much of my time as a motorist but, within 10 minutes of becoming a pedestrian on my way in to the British GP, I was ready to form a collective in order to lynch the next eejit who thought it was a good idea to try to force his car past us.

Just one degree away from turning feral ...

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
I had a similar feeling yesterday. I spend much of my time as a motorist but, within 10 minutes of becoming a pedestrian on my way in to the British GP, I was ready to form a collective in order to lynch the next eejit who thought it was a good idea to try to force his car past us.

Just one degree away from turning feral ...

You need to get a motorcycle young man. You get to avoid all that congestive stress, 99% of the time.

And henryf, magnanimity always wins the day. That said, maybe you should try your boating down here (I'm writing this whilst anchored in Villefranche) - it can get pretty busy on the water at times, but the lack of 'British values' is really quite refreshing. Everyone gets on well enough, there's a distinct absence of sail v power and all that. (You do get a bit of mine's-bigger-than-yours, but I daresay you could rise to that challenge).

oGaryo

Visit site
FFS, please stop talking about perfect boating weather, we've been out of the water for over a month and have had to cancel our summer hols :miserable:

Have I missed something Andy, what's keeping you on the hard for that amount of time when you should be bobbing about in the wet stuff?

henryf

www.911virgin.com
You need to get a motorcycle young man. You get to avoid all that congestive stress, 99% of the time.

And henryf, magnanimity always wins the day. That said, maybe you should try your boating down here (I'm writing this whilst anchored in Villefranche) - it can get pretty busy on the water at times, but the lack of 'British values' is really quite refreshing. Everyone gets on well enough, there's a distinct absence of sail v power and all that. (You do get a bit of mine's-bigger-than-yours, but I daresay you could rise to that challenge).

I'm bringing the big boat to Monte Carlo in October.

Monte Carlo
Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy
Livorno, Italy
Calvi, Corsica
Xlendi, Gozo Malta
Valletta, Malta (overnight)
Syracuse, Italy
Agios Nikolaos, Crete
Symi, Greece
Mykonos, Greece
Kusadasi, (Ephesus), Turkey
Piraeus, Greece

Staff and kichen team are top notch, took JFM, advice. Biggest dishwasher and build a ship around it :)

My only criticism would be the loose leaf tea served in the afternoon. I'm a tea bag man myself, no culture :)

I shall valiantly press on regardless of the tea problems. The wonderful cheese soufflé makes up for it. Caviar and champagne poolside helps a bit as well :)

Strangely I always get a wave from visiting foreign yachts when adjusting course a little to give them room.

Henry :)

jrudge

Visit site
Saturdays Child in Villefranch was not so friendly either. Much whistling and shouting that got significantly worse when I dragged up his anchor. We were in 20m of water and I can only assume he had maybe 120m of chain / rope out as our boat was no where near him.

Anyway he got a friendly wave and in return signified we had been victorious which was nice of him!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

but the lack of 'British values' is really quite refreshing. .

Yup, 'British values' really only pertain in Britain, thank heaven. I had a rather more pleasant encounter with a German flagged saily boat off Sardinia on Saturday. We overtook her slowly in pootle mode and as is my custom, I gave the occupants a cheery wave from my perch on the flybridge whereupon a stark bollock naked young lady stood up in her cockpit and gave me a cheery wave back. It fair made my day I can tell you. Its the simple pleasures of boating that I most enjoy these days

Firefly625

Visit site
Yup, 'British values' really only pertain in Britain, thank heaven. I had a rather more pleasant encounter with a German flagged saily boat off Sardinia on Saturday. We overtook her slowly in pootle mode and as is my custom, I gave the occupants a cheery wave from my perch on the flybridge whereupon a stark bollock naked young lady stood up in her cockpit and gave me a cheery wave back. It fair made my day I can tell you. Its the simple pleasures of boating that I most enjoy these days

as folks say, a threads no good without pictures!

burgundyben

Visit site
Weymouth has its very own knob head Sunday's child right now. Came alongside late last night. Afterd I'd had my cocoa. Stomped all over the deck. Tied lines too tight and made my fenders squeak. I gave them a stern look this morning.

Firefly625

Visit site
Weymouth has its very own knob head Sunday's child right now. Came alongside late last night. Afterd I'd had my cocoa. Stomped all over the deck. Tied lines too tight and made my fenders squeak. I gave them a stern look this morning.

I favour the stern look. I had to peak my head out our wheelhouse curtains to give a stern look to our neighbours who left at 4am Saturday morning and decided it was not only time for them to wake up, but the rest of Yarmouth as well.. Then I had to give another stern look to the boat that came in and took their spot just 20 minutes later who also thought that it was time everyone woke up.... has nobody heard of hand signals and hushed voices. Stern looks all-round!