Summer Cruse Costs

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
This year I went down to Lisbon.
Had a great time but did a lot of motoring, across Biscay going plus down and back up the Spanish and Portuguese coast.
This is what it cost, anchoring where I could.
Code:
17 Weeks away
2165 nM : 287 Engine Hrs

Outings+Marina+Food  £  Fuel Ltrs
-----------------------------------------
May    144.05        74.87     124.79
Jun    775.93        213.76    189.15
Jul    1011.61       214.00    190
Aug    588.93        245.84    228.87
Sep    539.15        57.63     49.81
Total    £3059.67   £806.10    782.62 Ltrs (Tank now full)
         £3865.77
=========================================
per Week £132.56    £47.42
Total Cost per Week £179.98

ibbo

Visit site
That's good to know, so many trips seem to cost a fortune, and it puts me off from going.

I had hoped to do it for under 1k/ per month, not including initial supplies, spares etc.

What was the reason for the higher costs in July?

Thanks Mike

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I just had a quick look at Augs and sept both months where under 600 euros that includes everything we broughtand oct is running about the same so far .
although next month ( Nov ) may be a very different thing as we looking at buying a new Gen .

GrahamM376

Visit site
That's good to know, so many trips seem to cost a fortune, and it puts me off from going. I had hoped to do it for under 1k/ per month, not including initial supplies, spares etc.

Don't be put off, it can be done for <£1000 easily, unless you are in marinas every night and expensive eating out a lot. Anchor as much as possible (there are quite a few anchorages along the Portuguese west coast depending on weather) and avoid eating in tourist traps.

GrahamM376

Visit site
Not too many as far down as Lisbon, I believe there are more further down once 'round the corner'.

Viana de Castelo estuary, Leixoes, Douro estuary, Aveiro, Peniche, Berlenga, Cascais, Tejo estuary (Lisbon). In settled weather with no swell, it's also possible to anchor off many beaches although we haven't done it.

Yngmar

Visit site
Viana de Castelo estuary, Leixoes, Douro estuary, Aveiro, Peniche, Berlenga, Cascais, Tejo estuary (Lisbon). In settled weather with no swell, it's also possible to anchor off many beaches although we haven't done it.

We've been down that way recently, so I can temper that somewhat:

Viana de Castelo estuary: Where? You can only go upriver as far as the Eiffel bridge and the pilot says anchoring in the river is prohibited, plus there's a Jetski training course. Did you mean the Rio Minho instead?

Leixoes: Yup, in the harbour next to the marina. Very unpleasant due to cargo shipping and large fishing vessels. People were begging for a berth in the (full) marina. The 49er world championship was fun to watch though.

Douro estuary: Where? Although perfectly fine to hop on the metro from Matosinhos (20 minute walk from Leixoes).

Aveiro: At Sao Jacinto. Not a huge amount of space though unless you're shallow draft.

Peniche: Terrible even in the marina due to fishing boats habitually ignoring the speed limit. Harbour is full of unused moorings and rotting fishing floats. Others did anchor there a night despite this and were asked by the Policia to move about 5m for no particular reason :)

Berlenga: We did anchor there for lunch. It was deep and rocky and I worried about the anchor. Didn't stay overnight as swell was coming around the island. Apparently you can "borrow" one of the tourist ferry mooring balls for the night though, if you bugger off at dawn.

Cascais, Tejo estuary (Lisbon): Yup. Neither is convenient if you want to see Lisbon though - both are pretty far out of town.

In settled weather with no swell...

That never occurred during our time on the Portuguese west coast, although we had that fortunate situation a few times in Spain and made good use of it (Corrubedo being my favorite).

GrahamM376

Visit site
Viana de Castelo estuary: Where? South side, side water off the holiday apartments.
Douro estuary: Where? just before or just after the marina.
Peniche We anchored overnight outside the harbour in the corner of the breakwater and the beach.
Berlenga Although about 15m and rocky, we've not had a problem with holding on the two occasions we've been there but, as you say, uncomfortable if much swell. Friend did some dives there, says excellent.

Have just read your blog and surprised you mention Leixoes as being expensive. A couple of years ago, it cost us around €130 for a month in high season (<12m) IIRC it was something like pay for 3 weeks and get the rest of the month free. Nazare Sailing club marina is open to visitors if space available and is much better than the town one but they're not allowed to advertise. Clean and friendly with bar/restaurant and nearer town. Nice to see you took your time and seem to have enjoyed the west coast, too many just scoot down as fast as they can.

Last edited:

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
When I said not too many places, I was comparing it with Galicia.
Another consideration when anchoring is how easy is it to take the dinghy ashore to visit / re-provision.
Places where I did anchor and most were for a night or two, mainly not going ashore:
Viana de Castelo estuary, No - Pilot said No Anchoring
Leixoes, Yes - W of Marina
Douro estuary, No -
Pilot said V strong current flow and Anchoring discouraged
Aveiro, Yes - (
Sao Jacinto)
Peniche, Yes - over by Shipyard in front of moorings
Berlenga, No - I didn't go out to the Island
Cascais, Yes - had 45 knots of wind coming down over the hills.
Tejo estuary No - went up to Lisbon
+ Seixal (across from Lisbon) after visiting Lisbon, one of the few places I would be happy to anchor for a reasonable length of time.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Nazare Sailing club marina is open to visitors if space available and is much better than the town one but they're not allowed to advertise. Clean and friendly with bar/restaurant and nearer town.
Totally agree, staff very helpful. Now has a new Marina Office, shower / toilet still in portacabin but adequate.
I notice you say 'nearer town', true, as neither are close to the town :)

Yngmar

Visit site
Have just read your blog and surprised you mention Leixoes as being expensive.

We paid something like £9.70 a night at Muxia - after that, everything else seemed expensive! :)

Nazare Sailing club marina is open to visitors if space available and is much better than the town one but they're not allowed to advertise.

They seem to have solved the advertising issue by having their marineros wave frantically and shout. Worked for us - we stayed with them :)

Nice to see you took your time and seem to have enjoyed the west coast, too many just scoot down as fast as they can.

Some of the best bits there. We definitely had a culture shock once we turned the corner and entered Lagos (similar to Nooka). Blog post about that to follow :)

GrahamM376

Visit site
Yngmar;6224213 We definitely had a culture shock once we turned the corner and entered Lagos (similar to [URL="http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?487151-I-have-seen-hell-and-it-s-name-is-Vilamoura" said:
Nooka[/URL]). Blog post about that to follow :)

Not just a culture shock (too many Henrys) but a financial shock after Galicia and the west coast.

Sybarite

Visit site
This year I went down to Lisbon.
Had a great time but did a lot of motoring, across Biscay going plus down and back up the Spanish and Portuguese coast.
This is what it cost, anchoring where I could.
Code:
17 Weeks away
2165 nM : 287 Engine Hrs

Outings+Marina+Food  £  Fuel Ltrs
May    144.05        74.87     124.79
Jun    775.93        213.76    189.15
Jul    1011.61       214.00    190
Aug    588.93        245.84    228.87
Sep    539.15        57.63     49.81
Total    £3059.67   £806.10    782.62 Ltrs (Tank now full)
         £3865.77
=========================================
per Week £132.56    £47.42
Total Cost per Week £179.98

I had the advantage of "Passeport Escales"

I was away for about 7 weeks and paid about 2-3 weeks in marinas.

Brest was a particularly good deal; in addition to a free ticket for Oceanopolis (value €28) there were two free apéritifs at the local restaurants.

I didn't include the cost of eating out because it was roughly what I might have incurred anyway.

ibbo

Visit site
I'm certainly going to go next year, how far, and for how long depends on how much it costs as it goes I think.
It's good to hear it can be done for a reasonable cost.

I shall be looking up some of the anchorages recommended.

Thanks Mike

GHA

Visit site
Living on the hook averages out about 600/700 per month for me in Portugal. , some a lot less, some more. That's not really scrimping, plenty sundowners :)

Never, ever going near a marina is possibly the best way to save money, that and a shop/eat/drink where the locals go. Much nicer too :cool:

RobbieW

Visit site
Leixoes: Yup, in the harbour next to the marina. Very unpleasant due to cargo shipping and large fishing vessels. People were begging for a berth in the (full) marina. The 49er world championship was fun to watch though...

You must've been about the same time I was, didnt wait for the 49ers to race but they were practicing. Caught up with Sol Maria in the anchorage which was fun and I think the best value for money food of the summer, mixed grill including wine for €4.50/head. Wasnt bothered by the shipping movements, I think I was there in the anchorage 3 days heading N, and dont remember much fishing boat movement.

As the to rest of the stretch between Bayonne and Cascais I'd say anchoring opportunities are scarce and access to some is iffy in swell. The one I was intigued by but didnt look into is the one abt 10 miles S of Nazare, a little horseshoe bay. Got bored with fog too :(

I'd agree with the OP about the creek at Seixal, very secure if a bit narrow - its disturbing seeing the clam fishers up to thier shoulders in water about 2 m off the stern at LW. Tagus Yacht Centre, near the head of the creek at Amora, is reasonably good value if you need to leave the boat there for a bit - around €650 lift out/in and a month ashore in July but access is tidal despite what it says on thier website.