Suggestions for Marina in The Med

Helipilot100

Visit site
Hi I'm looking for suggestions for keeping a 13m boat ina nice marina that doesn't shut down in the winter. I've been to Duquesa and up as far as St Carles de la Rapita, so not too fussed where I am as I intend to use it as a base and tour around hugging the lovely coastline. I'm trying to get as good a deal as possible. My friend rented a berth in St Carles from a local at a great rate and just wondered if you all could give me some advice. I'm not new to boating but new to boating in the Med so please be gentle with me and I fully appreciate any help or pointers that you can give me. Thanks in anticipation.

I would prefer Spain thus mentioning Duquesa to St Carles as my stomping ground. I like Cabo Roig, Xabia but don't know thge area that well so would be happy to take advice. I would prefer a smaller marina as opposed to the huge ones you see at the front in Denia (another lovely place) as I think you would get to know the community better but I am all new to this so any help or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply. Best Liam

PS :I would prefer Spain thus mentioning Duquesa to St Carles as my stomping ground. I like Cabo Roig, Xabia but don't know the area that well so would be happy to take advice. I would prefer a smaller marina as opposed to the huge ones you see at the front in Denia (another lovely place) as I think you would get to know the community better but I am all new to this so any help or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply. Best Liam

Last edited:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Hi I'm looking for suggestions for keeping a 13m boat ina nice marina that doesn't shut down in the winter. I've been to Duquesa and up as far as St Carles de la Rapita, so not too fussed where I am as I intend to use it as a base and tour around hugging the lovely coastline. I'm trying to get as good a deal as possible. My friend rented a berth in St Carles from a local at a great rate and just wondered if you all could give me some advice. I'm not new to boating but new to boating in the Med so please be gentle with me and I fully appreciate any help or pointers that you can give me. Thanks in anticipation.

Where is your preferred location? Portugal, Spain, France, Italy? And then which area of any particular country. If you narrow it down a bit you will probably get a few more replies.

Helipilot100

Visit site
Where is your preferred location? Portugal, Spain, France, Italy? And then which area of any particular country. If you narrow it down a bit you will probably get a few more replies.
Thanks for the quick reply, I would prefer Spain thus mentioning Duquesa to St Carles as my stomping ground. I like Cabo Roig, Xabia but don't know thge area that well so would be happy to take advice. I would prefer a smaller marina as opposed to the huge ones you see at the front in Denia (another lovely place) as I think you would get to know the community better but I am all new to this so any help or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply. Best Liam

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com

I would prefer Spain thus mentioning Duquesa to St Carles as my stomping ground. I like Cabo Roig, Xabia but don't know thge area that well so would be happy to take advice. I would prefer a smaller marina as opposed to the huge ones you see at the front in Denia (another lovely place) as I think you would get to know the community better but I am all new to this so any help or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply. Best Liam

PS :I would prefer Spain thus mentioning Duquesa to St Carles as my stomping ground. I like Cabo Roig, Xabia but don't know the area that well so would be happy to take advice. I would prefer a smaller marina as opposed to the huge ones you see at the front in Denia (another lovely place) as I think you would get to know the community better but I am all new to this so any help or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply. Best Liam
Valencia might work for you.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Cartagena is popular, particularly those looking for a winter berth, lovely city with lots going on all year round. Further up the coast is a nice marina at Villjoyosa, it’s also a fishing port and has quite a few decent restaurants and a great beach. Then you come to ,Altea a decent marina with the lively town on the doorstep, that’s where I keep a small boat and have a home there. A few miles further on is Campomanes, a big smart marina with lots of restaurants, but I’m not sure if you can live aboard there. And another few miles on is Calpe with a nice marina, again in a town with lots happening all year round.
if you search on here, there’s lots of threads and info on different Spanish marinas.

Hurricane

Visit site
Have you seen the Sant Carles Marina Forum?
Free to sign up and use.
Run by Sant Carles Berth Holders - not by the marina.
Lots of stuff on the forum/website - webcams, virtual tours etc.
You could post your requirement on the SCM forum.
That way, you would be more likely to find a private berth rental.
Just set your browser to www.scmchat.com and register.
Acceptance to the forum is done manually by us but we usually approve new members within a few hours.

Helipilot100

Visit site
Cartagena is popular, particularly those looking for a winter berth, lovely city with lots going on all year round. Further up the coast is a nice marina at Villjoyosa, it’s also a fishing port and has quite a few decent restaurants and a great beach. Then you come to ,Altea a decent marina with the lively town on the doorstep, that’s where I keep a small boat and have a home there. A few miles further on is Campomanes, a big smart marina with lots of restaurants, but I’m not sure if you can live aboard there. And another few miles on is Calpe with a nice marina, again in a town with lots happening all year round.
if you search on here, there’s lots of threads and info on different Spanish marinas.
Thanks LongJohn, I'll have a look. Just a nightmare at the moment with all these travel restrictions. Again very much appreciate your help. Thanks Liam

Helipilot100

Visit site
Have you seen the Sant Carles Marina Forum?
Free to sign up and use.
Run by Sant Carles Berth Holders - not by the marina.
Lots of stuff on the forum/website - webcams, virtual tours etc.
You could post your requirement on the SCM forum.
That way, you would be more likely to find a private berth rental.
Just set your browser to www.scmchat.com and register.
Acceptance to the forum is done manually by us but we usually approve new members within a few hours.
I'll do that right now. Thanks.

andrewbarker

Visit site

Cabo Roig has (as you will know) a lovely bay, nice little bar on the beach etc. However, it's very sleepy and not a huge amount to do outside the bay/marina area. However, that might be just what you want.
I was down there in August and I know the marina has spaces as I asked the guys there. The marine charges are about 5,500 euros per annum, (14m boat) but almost certainly cheaper if you sublet from a private individual. I've used Navicularia and MSK for private lets. Navicularia are based at Marina Internacional Torrevieja and MSK are at Marina Salinas Torrevieja. Might be worth a word with Shazad at MSK for info & advice - he's a good wheeler/dealer.

Garold

Visit site
I have a friend who has been in Cartagena for a year or two. He has enjoyed it there because it is a lively town which still operates through the winter. It is enhanced by the holiday trade rather than driven by it. He seems to fly into Murcia or Alicante so a bit of choice on flights. He tells me that the berthing fees are very competitive and that they do have vacancies for this winter.

He has been there for the last few weeks though and the town has been very quiet and half of the bars and restaurants etc are closed. I think that this is typical for many places along that coast this year though.

We also spent about a month there a couple of years ago and along that coast it was one of the stand out places with lots of interesting history and culture. It was a bit short on local beach life if that is your priority.

Helipilot100

Visit site
Cabo Roig has (as you will know) a lovely bay, nice little bar on the beach etc. However, it's very sleepy and not a huge amount to do outside the bay/marina area. However, that might be just what you want.
I was down there in August and I know the marina has spaces as I asked the guys there. The marine charges are about 5,500 euros per annum, (14m boat) but almost certainly cheaper if you sublet from a private individual. I've used Navicularia and MSK for private lets. Navicularia are based at Marina Internacional Torrevieja and MSK are at Marina Salinas Torrevieja. Might be worth a word with Shazad at MSK for info & advice - he's a good wheeler/dealer.
`thanks Garold, would you have an email by any chance for him? Ill give him a go. Are there a few private individuals who rent?? Thanks again. best Liam

Hurricane

Visit site
This doesn't really address the OP's question but a few years ago, I helped deliver a Sealine F43 from Duquesa to Sant Carles.
(in fact the same F43 that I helped deliver to Mallorca last month).
I reported on the trip from Duquesa to Sant Carles on this forum (with lots of pics)
Here's the link.
Gibraltar to Sant Carles
Brings back memories.

kashurst

Visit site
I have been knocking around those parts for @ 20 years now, I have dealt with Shahzad on and off for the last 10+ years - top bloke, very unassuming and always helpful. There are loads of marinas in the area. But if you want winter life, stick to the larger towns. The marinas all go a bit quiet but the towns keep busy. Valencia has 2 marinas but they are a long way from the town centre and Valencia is a long way (relatively) from anywhere else. The locals tend to speak Valencian - not Castilian Spanish - which can be tricky.
Cartagena, Torrevieja, Alicante, are all alive in the winter and well served with flights via Alicante or Murcia. If you are looking for value for money Torrevieja wins by a long way. 4 marinas, 2 boat yards, very good engineers via official Volvo guy (Oscar Marine) - who is always helpful what ever the make/model of engine. (mind his parts are expensive! )- official volvo marine distributor is 20Km inland at Rojales

Last edited:

Peterlewis321

Visit site
We have kept our boat in Marina de Denia since purchasing her (She was located in the marina already) in early 2017. The marina is great, lots of good restaurants and generally open and busy all year round - we had intended to move on to elsewhere but ended up staying and infact buying the mooring lease until 2027!!!
Denia is also a ‘Spanish’ town and so, again, is busy all year round unlike some places like Moraira that kind of shut down over the winter months. There is some decent cruising south of Denia (Javea/Moraira/Calpe/Altea) and ofcourse the shortest distance from the mainland to Ibiza etc.
being midway (100km) between Alicante and Valencia means there is always a good choice of flights at competitive rates, all year round.
Cannot recommend it enough to be honest.