Suez blocked.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
And here’s a picture that hasn’t been used as an Internet meme.

Remember this?

5994EDC8-CAEA-47EC-B1A7-C5675E22E89D.jpeg

Hilarious!

“What do those silly Egyptians think they are going to achieve with that?”

Well, what they were doing was improving the shining hour by cutting a space for this, which was staging down from Ismailia, the SCA HQ, to get to work.

CC426E62-68CB-4098-A9FC-763CA10E37A8.png

It’s the “Mahsour”, the world’s biggest cutter dredger.

Adios

Visit site
And here’s a picture that hasn’t been used as an Internet meme.

Remember this?
Take the ship away and replace it with any section of coned off UK motorway. 3 blokes standing around next to a silent excavator making the job last as long as possible.

1616863767120.png

Adios

Visit site
I haven't read all 16 pages but anyone have info on why they don't rig something up on land to pull rather than tugs in the water? I imagine the sandy soil isn't ideal to get anchored but you'd think it would be tried. Could the ships anchor windlasses be employed? They must have some torque to them. Get enough pulleys involved and these Egyptians can build a pyramid apparently though they may have got out of practice.

Last edited:

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I haven't read all 16 pages but anyone have info on why they don't rig something up on land to pull rather than tugs in the water? I imagine the sandy soil isn't ideal to get anchored but you'd think it would be tried. Could the ships anchor windlasses be employed? They must have some torque to them. Get enough pulleys involved and these Egyptians can build a pyramid apparently though they may have got out of practice.
Someone did suggest digging, reinforcement and concrete, and on the face of it it's a good plan. I suspect that knowing where to put it/them for an initial pull isn't that hard, but once it's moved a bit you might need to start again. I suspect that getting units of upwards of maybe 10,000hp exactly where you want it is simpler.

newtothis

Visit site
To be fair to the Egyptians, they managed to build a 70km extension channel in about a year. Unfortunately, it is on the other side of the Great Bitter Lake.
I'd love to see a project of that size done in the UK. They'd still be planning what biscuits to have at the meeting to decide when to have the planning meeting.