Stupid names for boats

Leighb

Visit site
I have always wondered what was the origin of the name on a Pin Mill yacht.

"OJONOTAGEN" :D

another local yacht is "Passing Wind"

And then there is "NOVA T"

boatmike

Visit site
There was a hi-tech catamaran in Trinidad a few years back called

"the meaning of life, the universe, and everything"

I would have called it "42" ...... saves on signwriters fees , and you could have fitted it on one of the skinny transoms.

Naah! The best name I ever saw for a tri was "Jake the Peg"
Used to be a red hulled boat in the Tamar called "Rhubarb" which towed a little yellow tender called "custard"

Bajansailor

Visit site
There are some classic names here, none are stupid really, some are clever and funny, all are mobos....

Provenjohn, we also have a '4 Play' (an 18' speedboat), and here are a few others :
'Hatterascal' - a Hatteras sports fisherman
'No Riff Raff' - a Sunseeker Manhatten 50
'Reel-istic', Reel Tight', 'Reel Screamer' - all sports fishing boats
'Knotty Buoy' - a Grady White 33
'Never Enough' - a Bertram 54
'Heart Attack' - one of the older Princess 38s
'De Reel Viking' - a Viking, owned by a Viking....
'I-Boat' - a Four Winns 258
'Shingles' - a Boston Whaler (owned by a Builder?)
and we used to have a share in a sailing yacht called 'Wild Affair' - she was that for sure.

I once saw a wee Avon Redcrest called 'Wee Fart', t/t..........
and when I was a wee kid, I had a Sevylor inflatable boat (half the size of a Redcrest) called 'Big Boat', cos it seemed enormous to me.

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
'Crime Pays' was in Haslar marina, was never sure if he was a drugs runner (it was a RIB), or a lawyer.

Ants

And this afternoon on the Thames...

31886_399677491399_689216399_4793663_7547308_n.jpg

Iain C

Visit site
Beaten to it on the Uffa Fox F15, that is the best boat name ever.

In terms of the name of the boat that would sound stupidest on a Mayday call, but is great all the same, is a racing boat I saw in the Lymington river the other week.

"I say...DING DONG"

ferrymaniom

Visit site
Sadly, when we bought our boat last year she was saddled with 'Fastitaint' (geddit?). Unfortunately, it does does describe her sailing qualities rather well, but it does seem a little ungallant.

A year later and we haven't got round to renaming her. We've had hundreds of ideas and suggestions but nothing that really seems to fit.

ROSSCO

Visit site
A singapore based tanker owner, Titan Shipping , that named their ships after the planets , was somewhat perplexed by the sniggers in the tanker market when they named one of their ships the ' Titan Uranus'

HoratioHB

sowethereyet.blogspot.co.uk
IMG_0947a.jpg

Not to be confused with the rather larger version! We met up with them last year - a really nice couple, Canadian but originally from Malta. They had the name 3 years before the super yacht.

Seen in Antigua - 'She got the house'

Also seen in Antigua and has been on this forum before - 'five flip flops' - Que??

Before I start stowing thrones our boat was called 'Tiger Fightener' this was because SWMBOs dad was a tea planter in India and the last drink of the day was to frighten the tigers away, ie an excuse for one last one. Got some puzzled responses especially from Brixham coastguard but once our friends got the joke we often stayed on board their boats longer that intended for one last TF!!