Stupid names for boats

TradewindSailor

Visit site
We often get entertaining names like "Master Baiter" for a sport fisherman, and "Other Business" for the "I'm sorry Mr Peebody's on ...... " jokes for the secretary. These are fine ......

BUT how about a recent one I heard "D'yer Copy?" ...... can you imagine a mayday? I don't think the UK SSR would allow it ...... but it is out there.

"Hello World" is not too bad over the radio ..... but it did grate for a bit.

Sequoiah1

Visit site
A boat down here was called 'Car Keys', the owner got so fed up with leaving them on board he felt the best reminder was to have it written across the transom so he never forgot as he pulled away in his tender.

pagoda

Visit site
We often get entertaining names like "Master Baiter" for a sport fisherman, and "Other Business" for the "I'm sorry Mr Peebody's on ...... " jokes for the secretary. These are fine ......

BUT how about a recent one I heard "D'yer Copy?" ...... can you imagine a mayday? I don't think the UK SSR would allow it ...... but it is out there.

"Hello World" is not too bad over the radio ..... but it did grate for a bit.

My father reckons most boats are as sensibly named as race-horses and greyhounds :D :D

Not very!

(and how do you spell out question marks or apostrophes !!)

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
We passed an angling boat just outside Dartmouth called "She Likes it Rough". Later heard them on the radio and the lady operator at Brixham Coastguard was struggling not to laugh.

NPMR

Visit site
In Burnham on Crouch we saw "Sirosis of the River". Owned by a local landlord I was told.

And I'm guessing I know where the money came from for "Legasea"

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
I have been told numerous times of a racing boat yclept "Kinky Black Underwear" in these parts that once ran aground on Ryde Sands. The lifeboat got them afloat again and Ch16 was abuzz with the delightful statement "Pleased to report that Kinky Black Underwear is off".

todka

Visit site
Odd Boat Names

'On Cawl' is a good one, and one I have always wanted to use ' The Habitual Concubine' - why - because in French waters only the owner or ' The Habitual Concubine' is allowed to be in charge of the boat.

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
If ever I win the lottery and get a new boat, then being a Scotsman, I would consider "Jock's Trapp" :D

Probably never happen!

Vid

Visit site
There's a racing yacht with the rather brilliant name of 'Fractious' which in my experience is often the mood on such vessels...

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Best name ever: A mirror dinghy at Tighnabruiach: "Maid Freya Kitt"

Worst name ever: My boat when she came into the family: "Percy Vere". Though the previous owners, the Taylors, had a son in a wheelchair, so I don't blame them too much. They went on to a specially adapted Fisher 25 which they called, rather nicely I thought, "Taylor Maid"

Last edited:

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Many moons ago, my pal called his canoe "Mafeking" & his Nan asked hime what it meant, He simply replied "Because it is Ma feking canoe" - fortunately she never understood it. :D

My Heron Dinghy was called "Little Rotter" after we had to replace the gaff & a bottom panel to get her seaworthy. And I am considering writing "PTO" on the underside of my Laser for when my brother uses it.