Stupid names for boats

trapezeartist

www.littlehotels.co.uk
Unfortunately the need to state your name over the VHF (perhaps in a mayday situation) throws a wet blanket over many of the more imaginative naming ideas. At least it should: the above posts show that it's not always so.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Unfortunately the need to state your name over the VHF (perhaps in a mayday situation) throws a wet blanket over many of the more imaginative naming ideas. At least it should: the above posts show that it's not always so.

If there is call for a Mayday then embarassment at the boat name probably won't be a major factor. If it is a major factor, use the call sign instead!

A

Alcyone

I heard a distress call in Milford last weekend. Guy had no power. I heard the coastguard ask if he had a means of anchoring. I didn't get the reply, but then heard the CG say 'We'd better get someone there quickly then.'

The boat name was 'First of Many', which made me smile.

prv

Visit site
how about this.... a catamaran called

WET PUSSY

Is that in Cowes? The instructor on my VHF course lives there, and told me that this particular catamaran had been unable to get a ship station license because Ofcom wouldn't allow the name to be used as a callsign.

Pete

xyachtdave

Visit site
Power boat 'Irresponsible' having some mayday assistance made me chuckle.

Racing yachts less serious names that spring to mind 'Moisture Missile' and 'Ginger Stepchild'

Try and avoid the co joined christian names chaps.

trapezeartist

www.littlehotels.co.uk
If there is call for a Mayday then embarassment at the boat name probably won't be a major factor. If it is a major factor, use the call sign instead!

It's not a case of embarrassment. It's whether you can get the message across. If you heard "Mayday Mayday Mayday Oh Dear Oh Dear Oh Dear" would you realise that it was coming from a boat called Eau d'Hier?