Stupid names for boats

colingr

Visit site
Boat called "Bootle Bum Trinket" up river from Portsmouth - is this a phrase used in Merseyside or is there some other meaning, or just a silly name(IMHO)!

That was the name of Gerald Durrell's boat in My Family and Other Animals.

I think just a silly name, but slightly endearing all the same:)

goosewing

Visit site
And didnt 'Wishful Thinking' have a wee friend (dinghy?) called 'Wilful Drinking'?
Something that WT's crew subscribed to most enthusiastically......

I knew a yacht once called 'Bucephalus' - and everybody loved to call her 'Booka Phalus'.

'Uffa Fox Sake' is simply classic!

She did Martin but it had one too many on the rocks and was sunk...:p

grafozz

Visit site
no problem

once heard a mayday in the solent when heading east from Yarmouth from a sinking mobo , called ..... yes," No Problem" , we sailed past as the Yarmouth lifeboat rescued it but the conversation leading up to it was so funny " what is your problem , No Problem ?" " No problem , No Problem, No Problem , we have a problem ! "..........
gladly all were ok and the boat , I believe, was towed in .

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
Isn't it strange that the majority of stupid/bad taste/crass names appear to be on mobos or racing boats?

To redress the balance, in the seventies I had 'El Plates', then 'Expletive Deleted'. I crewed a GK24 called 'Ginger Nuts' and there was a Bruce Farr boat called 'Farr Canal'

There's a fast angling boat in Burnham called 'Beaver Hunter' I came across 'Beaver' in Hamford Water last year. She's a Westerly Pageant with slightly dumpy late middle aged owner to match. I can't help feeling the former would be a bit disappointed!

andymcp

Visit site
We heard a VHF conversation between a boat and its tender a couple of weeks ago.

"Yacht Scrabble, yacht Scrabble, this is Junior Scrabble, over...."

Made me laugh. :)

rickym

yachtgalene.blogspot.co.uk
Or a Farr designed "Farthing", some of the GK's are clever as are the X's, J's and a C&C called "Change of Course" a tubby Westerly called "Rotunda" is unfortunate though. Westerly Merlin's with wizard names, or a UFO called "Flying Saucer"!

Once heard a yacht called "fartybartplast" call a marina and was asked to spell the name of the boat. The laughter could be heard for miles!!

Bejasus

Visit site
hmmm......
DSCF2359-1-1.jpg

ferrymaniom

Visit site
I've rooted through my photos and have found the following names inflicted on poor innocent boats:

A-Crewed Interest
Aquaholic
Quax
After You
Falling Upwards
Sea Senora
Next One Up
Toucantango

There really ought to be a law against it.:rolleyes:

Ron Dean

Visit site
Kando & Nokando

Best name ever: A mirror dinghy at Tighnabruiach: "Maid Freya Kitt"

Worst name ever: My boat when she came into the family: "Percy Vere". Though the previous owners, the Taylors, had a son in a wheelchair, so I don't blame them too much. They went on to a specially adapted Fisher 25 which they called, rather nicely I thought, "Taylor Maid"

I'll tell my niece about Percy Vere. She has a sailing dingy called "Nokando":eek:.
Her son has "Kando"

Dockhead

Visit site
There was a hi-tech catamaran in Trinidad a few years back called

"the meaning of life, the universe, and everything"

I would have called it "42" ...... saves on signwriters fees , and you could have fitted it on one of the skinny transoms.

I saw that boat in St. Vincent, and had dinner with the owner. It WAS called "Forty-Two"; the meaning of life etc. was the tagline. It was a custom-built carbon fibre cat, made in South Africa. I've got a photo somewhere.

And here she is: http://www.luxuryyachtsource.com/yachts/424416d/caribbean_luxury_crewed_yacht_charter_vacation.html

Last edited: