Studland Eco moorings will cost you this year

oldharry

Visit site
Bargain, or go on using the anchor like you always did....? Lots of questionmarks over this move

From their Newsletter: Studland Bay Marine Partnership

Studland buoys.jpg

POSTSCRIPT: Since posting this it ocurred to me Crown Estates did a viability Study, based on 350 moorings across the Bay around 2012: they concluded the invetsment break even would be at least 25 years. Fewer buoys would take even longer. I wonder if SBMP have done a similar study. Ony by serious sponsorship can they hope to begin to hope to cover their cost

Last edited:

NormanS

Visit site
It's slightly different when you're forced to use a mooring, but here in Scotland, if you choose to use a visitor's mooring, it will generally cost quite a bit more than £10.

gaylord694

Visit site
I don't know why people need to feel the need to make things up and mislead people .... If your an IOW resident you can apply for a reduction in fees

Boathook

Visit site
Newtown Creek is 20 miles from there and also a nature conservancy. It’s £25 for a buoy, and a donation to anchor. I’ll pay the £10 and smile about it.
The echo buoys at Studland are in deep water by my standards and you need even less water than me !

I prefer to anchor in Newtown and my donation is that I'm a member of the NT. The staff need to have a scanner like the NT carparks for members to get a few pence from central office.

gaylord694

Visit site
The echo buoys at Studland are in deep water by my standards and you need even less water than me !

I prefer to anchor in Newtown and my donation is that I'm a member of the NT. The staff need to have a scanner like the NT carparks for members to get a few pence from central office

I prefer to anchor in Newtown and my donation is that I'm a member of the NT. The staff need to have a scanner like the NT carparks for members to get a few pence from central office.
Exactly so £25 pounds is way off the mark ..I'd rather people not post if there not correct in what they say as people read this and it inovertantly has a detrimental effect as somebody looks and thinks oh I won't go there as it's to much for a mooring buoy

Lodestone

Visit site
Bargain, or go on using the anchor like you always did....? Lots of questionmarks over this move

From their Newsletter: Studland Bay Marine Partnership

View attachment 169851

POSTSCRIPT: Since posting this it ocurred to me Crown Estates did a viability Study, based on 350 moorings across the Bay around 2012: they concluded the invetsment break even would be at least 25 years. Fewer buoys would take even longer. I wonder if SBMP have done a similar study. Ony by serious sponsorship can they hope to begin to hope to cover their cost
At least we could write to the sponsors to tell them that they're putting their names to a controversial scheme which is founded on fear not fact.

I think there's a reason that legislation has not been forthcoming and is witheld by threat. They know they're on dodgy ground. Regardless of scientific proof or arguments about precautionary principles in conservation, the fact that they (MMO/NE) admit that anchoring for safety must still be allowed blows a hole in their campaign. Even though they claim it will be allowed in extremis the idea that you would have to prove that you made a wise choice to take the safe option is clearly bonkers and would never stand up to scrutiny! The maritime safety case of 'blah blah blah by stress of weather' means that they can never make the burden of proof of anchoring in refuge fall on the master. Thus in reality you can anchor when you like and they can't stop you. Certainly 300+ pleasure craft anchored on a sunny day is taking the mickey out of this...but tough doo doo to those who want to restrict others without basis of fact.

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Newtown buoys are £25 overnight and £15 for a lunch stop. It’s a fact I’m afraid. They are free from November to end of Feb. If I go there, I’ll anchor and give them a tenner. They know us, where the boat is from and where we live, it br8ng a small island. Nodiscount has ever been offered, it’s the National Trust, why would they. You don’t get money off when you visit a local stately home or garden. £10 is cheap for an overnight mooring. Justified, that’s another thing of course. I'd still pay, I’m not keen on causing a scene.

ashtead

Visit site
Maybe NT life members might get a discount but I see no reason not to charge others as much as market will take for buoys to fund their maintenance and management of harbour etc - I suspect the costs are reasonable compared to Yarmouth ?

oldharry

Visit site
At least we could write to the sponsors to tell them that they're putting their names to a controversial scheme which is founded on fear not fact.

I think there's a reason that legislation has not been forthcoming and is witheld by threat. They know they're on dodgy ground. Regardless of scientific proof or arguments about precautionary principles in conservation, the fact that they (MMO/NE) admit that anchoring for safety must still be allowed blows a hole in their campaign. Even though they claim it will be allowed in extremis the idea that you would have to prove that you made a wise choice to take the safe option is clearly bonkers and would never stand up to scrutiny! The maritime safety case of 'blah blah blah by stress of weather' means that they can never make the burden of proof of anchoring in refuge fall on the master. Thus in reality you can anchor when you like and they can't stop you. Certainly 300+ pleasure craft anchored on a sunny day is taking the mickey out of this...but tough doo doo to those who want to restrict others without basis of fact.
I'm all for making it clear to anyone who will listen that the so called science is rubbish.

The basic reason for a voluntary arrangement is that MMO know very well they have no funding to police it properly, let alone enforce it! I pointed out to a former Head of Conservation at MMO, that enforcement would mean a permanent presence on site. Even then, positively identifying offenders could prove problematic specially as they have no right to board a boat or to demand ID.

The question of anchroing for safety reasons was something I majored on at the discussion stage. Yes, a full emergency scenario with CG SAR and RNLI Units involved is clear enough, but I pushed very hard to get the concept of anchoring to prevent an emergency recognised.

I was amused to see that the final MMO brief quotes almost directly from my last submission, giving skippers the right to anchor to prevent an emergency from occurring. They could hardly argue against it. I highlighted that an experienced and fit crew will be having an enjoyable and safe sail ina rising wind, while an identical boat with a non-too fit middle aged seasick crew would be running in to a significantly dangerous situation if they are unable to run for shelter. I also pointed out the well known 'domino effect' of accumulating problems on board, no one of which is particularly serious, but with a potentially dangerous cumulative effect.

It remains to be seen how the courst would handle such a case, and that is where this whole business would be actually put to the test.

lustyd

Visit site
Maybe NT life members might get a discount but I see no reason not to charge others as much as market will take for buoys to fund their maintenance and management of harbour etc - I suspect the costs are reasonable compared to Yarmouth ?
If you’re going down that road how’s about we remove the buoys which are too expensive to maintain and let people anchor? Not everything has to make money even in a capitalist market.

onesea

Visit site
If I recall they are extortionate compared with Beaullie. Sadly Yarmouth seems to be winning the race of highest inflation for berth costs at the moment.

Looking at sailing of for 3 months my biggest concern for outlay - berthing and anchorage costs.

Also knowing what they will be in advance.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Beaulieu is, I think, exactly the same for a mooring. It might be cheaper in the lower part of the river. It was £48 for a 30 footer in Bucklers hard in 2022. For some reason we did not visit in 2023.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
We haven’t travelled to Beaulieu for years -nothing to offer really once you have seen the motor museum .
And the Captain’s table. And Bucklers hard museum. Oh, and the pub. Wave to John Illsley on the way up, maybe go to Exbury, have a walk in the New Forest. Apart from that, there’s bugger all up there apart from one of the most beautiful south coast rivers. The only thing that stops us is that itks the most expensive place I can think of. I guess that’s why the bassist from one of the biggest rock bands ever has chosen to live there. Exclusive is the word.

gaylord694

Visit site
And the Captain’s table. And Bucklers hard museum. Oh, and the pub. Wave to John Illsley on the way up, maybe go to Exbury, have a walk in the New Forest. Apart from that, there’s bugger all up there apart from one of the most beautiful south coast rivers. The only thing that stops us is that itks the most expensive place I can think of. I guess that’s why the bassist from one of the biggest rock bands ever has chosen to live there. Exclusive is the word.
And there's a fantastic car showroom with proper old diesel/petrol classics, not a waste of space electric/ elastic band car in sight thank god

Mark-1

Visit site

The issue at Newtown Creek was that for many years 'they' told visitors there was a charge for anchoring and people were paying up.

It turned out they had no legal right to charge for anchoring which understandably put people's backs up. In fact I never really understood why it wasn't simply fraud.

After that they made it a bit clearer that it was a donation, which is reasonable IMHO, but the damage was done.

Mark-1

Visit site

...and the Moon Jellyfish. There are even Church Services for people who want that. WW2 history along the beach if you walk towards Lepe. Great place to Kayak/Paddleboard and generally play in the tender.