Studland Eco moorings will cost you this year

gaylord694

Visit site
The issue at Newtown Creek was that for many years 'they' told visitors there was a charge for anchoring and people were paying up.

It turned out they had no legal right to charge for anchoring which understandably put people's backs up. In fact I never really understood why it wasn't simply fraud.

After that they made it a bit clearer that it was a donation, which is reasonable IMHO, but the damage was done.
That's what it's always been so anyone who's paying £25 is round the twist there not all there .........

Scubadoo

Visit site
In Newtown we just anchor, the NT boats ask us for a donation politely and we decline explaining we are NT members, they usually smile and don't bother us again even if we are there for a few days, no issues or intimidation.

gaylord694

Visit site
In Newtown we just anchor, the NT boats ask us for a donation politely and we decline explaining we are NT members, they usually smile and don't bother us again even if we are there for a few days, no issues or intimidation.
That's brilliant because then I suppose if your there for couple of days I daresay you would spend some money so everyone is a winner . Fantastic all-round

Tranona

Visit site
I thought you might possibly be able to go up the river and find something
As I suspected, you don't know much about the place. There used to be a pub at the top of Shalfleet creek, but it has been closed more often than open over the last 4 or 5 years. Possible to walk to Newtown village where there used to be a garage, but not sure if it is still there.

One of the beauties of the place is the lack of facilities.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
The New Inn seems to be open, we drive past fairly often. A bit more of an adventure could be the Horse and Groom at Ningwood. High tide only for both of those of course. Other than that it’s as far off the beaten track as you’ll find in the south. It’s what you go for. I’ve been the only boat in there a few times. In summer of course it’s utter bedlam.

jaminb

Visit site
I have been to the New Inn a few times last year, last time mid November. Thoroughly recommend, really good food, friendly staff and a roaring fire. Please do support it or it wont be there in the future.

Boathook

Visit site
I have been to the New Inn a few times last year, last time mid November. Thoroughly recommend, really good food, friendly staff and a roaring fire. Please do support it or it wont be there in the future.
I've eaten there during summer 2023, food quite reasonable, but have found opening hours erratic. They have a website but no mention of opening hours.
We got there one late afternoon and found the place shut. we tried ring the number on the website and we could hear the phone ringing inside, not even an answerphone. A new member of staff turned up at 5.30 as requested and then the owner turned up at around 6, unlocked and let us all in.

I have since anchored at Newtown, again summer and went for a beer but the place shut mid afternoon. Just checked website and still no opening hours mentioned.

ean_p

Visit site
I know it's blatant thread drift but as Beaulieu has been mentioned....can I ask is the 'Boat Jumble ' gone forever? If so why, as it was always fairly well attended when ever we went?

ashtead

Visit site
I have read of early morning pyjama parties in Newtown creek but maybe only for the anchoring types? I haven’t been there since the early 80s though so maybe the days of early morning encounters with your neighbours have passed. I do recall the wife of a Shetland owner pulling up our westerly anchor plus their own by hand when I was a lad and wondering why we were heading towards them.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I have read of early morning pyjama parties in Newtown creek but maybe only for the anchoring types? I haven’t been there since the early 80s though so maybe the days of early morning encounters with your neighbours have passed. I do recall the wife of a Shetland owner pulling up our westerly anchor plus their own by hand when I was a lad and wondering why we were heading towards them.
The pyjama party is still a thing at Newtown, happens all the time. Sometimes pyjamas (thats another thread) occasionally naked, sometimes swimming gear. I bless the good lord we draw 40cm and don’t have to join in.

Seven Spades

Visit site
We draw 2.35m and have been in Newtown but you are limited in you choices. The last time we went we arrived on a Friday morning having been in the Beaulieu the night before. We were very lucky we got the perfect spot. We might not have been the most popular because at 55 feet we have a big turning circle and were given a wide berth. So it can be done but you will probably have no chance in the summer on a Saturday.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
We draw 2.35m and have been in Newtown but you are limited in you choices. The last time we went we arrived on a Friday morning having been in the Beaulieu the night before. We were very lucky we got the perfect spot. We might not have been the most popular because at 55 feet we have a big turning circle and were given a wide berth. So it can be done but you will probably have no chance in the summer on a Saturday.
I think you should make more of an effort. Get there good and early, and get some scope on your chain🤣 I suggest somewhere near the turn into Clamerkin Lake, near the second visitor buoy should do the trick. 1st come, 1st served.

Seven Spades

Visit site
The problem we have is because we are so heavy we tend to stretch out our chain when the tide turns whereas lighter boats tend to pivit around their chains. It is quite disconcerting how much space we take up in an anchorage. The result is that we don't all swing together we often end up very close to surrounding boats.