Studland Bay summary

MarlynSpyke

boatownersresponse.org.uk
How they did it

So, how did the JNCC / Natural England report to DEFRA come to the conclusion that, despite the evidence of people who know Studland Bay, despite the Seastar Survey report, despite lack of evidence in the scientific literature of anchor damage to eelgrass in general, that they have “moderate confidence” that the condition of the seagrass beds is “recover” – i.e. that they are damaged by anchoring?

Fans of “Yes, Minister” will recognise the process. Lots of very long words, complicated procedures and very long reports to get Jim Hacker confused, then slip in a bit of verbal trickery, and Sir Humphrey gets his way. And inconvenient facts? – sideline them. Let me spell out how it was done. (Please stick with this, it may be handy at the consultation stage, when we can all make our views known).

Hidden in the very long report, on p.342 of JNCC and Natural England Advice on recommended MCZs is the key phrase “The MBO 102 sensitivity matrix shows the feature (i.e. seagrass beds) as being highly sensitive with high confidence to shallow abrasion/penetration (Tillin, Hull and Tyler-Waters 2010)”. This, together with the fact that boats do anchor at Studland, is their justification. It’s on p342 out of 1455.

OK, so I looked up that report (Tillin, Hull etc. at http://randd.defra.gov.uk/Document.aspx?Document=MB0102_9721_TRP.pdf ) .
Shorter report that one, only 947 pages! Page 400 explains how they came to that conclusion: - it was “based on expert judgement from workshop 1”!

It seems they had gathered a committee of experts (conservationists presumably) in a “workshop” and they declared it was so. (Hence the urban myth suggested by Old Harry). No evidence is cited – it would be laughed out of a court of law.

And now for the verbal dexterity, the pea-under-the-thimble bit. Both reports use the term “seagrass”. Not the specific type of seagrass present at Studland, which is eelgrass, or Zostera marina, but “seagrass”. Seagrass covers many species of plant, and some of these, including Posidonia oceanica found in warmer waters, do seem to be more sensitive to disturbance and anchoring. So the committee of experts could perhaps declare that seagrass (thinking of Posidonia) is highly sensitive to anchoring. The NE / JNCC report refers to the Studland eelgrass as “seagrass”, and in this way the notional sensitivity of Posidonia and similar species was transferred to the more robust Zostera marina, or eelgrass. Tarred with the same brush, through use of the word “seagrass”. Was this deliberate? I could not possibly comment.

Sidelining of inconvenient information, eg the Seastar Survey? The NE / JNCC report does say “It is acknowledged that there are ongoing site-specific studies of the actual impact of anchoring. The results of these studies (as well as other ongoing surveys) will help to inform the condition of the feature…..” – although it does not say when or how.

We must make sure this is not forgotten. A major contributor to the report with the “expert judgement from workshop 1” was ABPmer, by the way.

Background material on the BORG website, http://boatownersresponse.org.uk/ .

oldharry

Visit site
Exactly so tomahawk - what can be more important than 'saving the planet'?

It really is a form of moral blackmail: These natural things are important, if we don't spend huge sums of (other peoples) money NOW they will be lost - forever. Never mind the hospitals, schools, job losses, lack of cancer research etc. We can manage without those for the time being, and they can always be rebuilt when we are wealthy again.

Science doesn't add up? Doesn't matter, we need to act NOW!

No evidence of damage? well that report was rubbish anyway - we must ACT NOW before its too late and somebody finds out that there isn't actually a problem....

Trouble is, for all too many yachtsmen we are only too aware that our seas ARE in trouble. But stopping anchoring in a bit of seaweed, while continuing to allow the seabed to be bulldozed clean of marine life by the diesel powered fishing fleet, and our fish stocks to be swept out of the sea by the shipload, and our coastal waters poisoned by commercial effluents will that REALLY make the slightest difference?

I doubt it.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Exactly so tomahawk - what can be more important than 'saving the planet'?

I do confess that when I see these twerps going on about saving the environment I really want to ask them why they are wearing clothes? After all the manufacture of cloth comes at a very high environmental cost... Far better if conservationists put their money where their collective mouths are and dealt with their own environmental impact.. A good start would be to not use electricity derived from environmentally damaging sources such as wind turbines, coal, gas, oil, tide, hydro-, and of course nuclear.. Then of course they don't need artificial heating. or any mechanical transport powered by fossil fuels (or electricity)..

In short I feel that so called eco warriers are not much more than a bunch of hypocrites. The problem is how to convey that to people who just want pretty pictures of cute seahorses before they watch East Enders..

Seajet

Visit site
Whilst you have a very good point.. you entirely miss the issue..

Studland Bay is important. It has important species and important eel grass. the importance is distraction from all the real cr*p going on in the world which you allude to. If you film a pretty picture of a seahorse in the eelgrass the morons will not notice inflation, unemployment, poverty Etc..

Hello Tomahawk,

I don't think I've missed the issue - after a lot of research -, though the distraction tactics you mention by both governments in 1982 and many other convenient little wars before and since continue to be useful to bankers and their rhyming slang namesakes ! :)

ARCO7

Visit site
Studland ,Dorset, England..

Dorset County Council have proudly posted a FACT SHEET on line about their beautiful county-

"Dorset has the HIGHEST PROPORTION OF CONSERVATION AREAS in ENGLAND,

These include 2 Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty which together count for 55% of the County.......

Dorset SSSI's total an area of 199 sq kilometres .... and 75% of the Dorset Coast is a World Heritage Site ..."

Kimmeridge Bay is a Dorset Wildife Trust Marine Reserve ,Poole Harbour is also the subject of many conservation and protection orders but Tourism is the main industry in the county and visitors and tourists don't like too many restrictions .
Could a Studland Bay MCZ be the straw that broke the camels back ? Its a huge area and very popular with the deck chair brigade and we all know how easily people can be detered ....look at London 2012 !!!!!

Like most things CONSERVATION is ok in moderate but if it gets to big and overwhelming it will implode on itself and take a few charities, conservationists and indeed numerous civil servants down with it.

In Dorset ? well I'd say Conservation is near melt down already !

Seajet

Visit site
Dorset County Council have proudly posted a FACT SHEET on line about their beautiful county-

"Dorset has the HIGHEST PROPORTION OF CONSERVATION AREAS in ENGLAND,

These include 2 Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty which together count for 55% of the County.......

Dorset SSSI's total an area of 199 sq kilometres .... and 75% of the Dorset Coast is a World Heritage Site ..."

Kimmeridge Bay is a Dorset Wildife Trust Marine Reserve ,Poole Harbour is also the subject of many conservation and protection orders but Tourism is the main industry in the county and visitors and tourists don't like too many restrictions .
Could a Studland Bay MCZ be the straw that broke the camels back ? Its a huge area and very popular with the deck chair brigade and we all know how easily people can be detered ....look at London 2012 !!!!!

Like most things CONSERVATION is ok in moderate but if it gets to big and overwhelming it will implode on itself and take a few charities, conservationists and indeed numerous civil servants down with it.

In Dorset ? well I'd say Conservation is near melt down already !

+1 ! The sad thing is that these self serving T.V and highlights in the hair, sound bite oriented berks may take genuinely concerned sensible people who boat owners would agree with down with them...

oldharry

Visit site
South Coast Marine Plan Announced

Few of us are aware that the ramifications of the Marine Coastal and Access Act (MCAA2009) carries also the governments intention to take much greater control of our coastal waters.

In addition to the MCZ process currently under way, the Act calls for a Marine Plan which will effectively bring our waters under the same level of control and regulation as we 'enjoy' ashore.

The Marine Plan will be developed and administered by MMO. MMO has created 10 regions, each of which will have its own plan.

What does this mean? The project is only just getting under way, but an earlier press release spoke of it 'affecting all water users, right through to kite-surfers'

The bottom line is that the infra structure is now falling in to place to regulate leisure boating. With that comes the possibility of licensing and permits, classification, taxation and other limitation on the freedom we enjoy at present when we go to sea.

MMO yesterday released news they were starting work on the Marine Plan for the South Coast, an area defined as Dover to the Dart. I know little more about it than what is in the release, and the little bit of background outlined above.

Press release here, and it is worth following the links in the menu on top left. At present it doesnt sound as if it will impinge much, but as I have said before, if you own a 'free' mooring, before long you will have to apply for permission to keep it. The thin end of the wedge?

http://www.marinemanagement.org.uk/news/press/120801.htm

Last edited:

ARCO7

Visit site
The End for Salty Sid ?

The thin edge of the wedge indeed !

A client of mine has lent me a copy of the MMO's latest FISHING FOCUS number 26 which informs readers (Commercial Fishermen) that ,
"Within a few months all non-powered and sailing commercial fishing boats will have to be registered with the MMO and this will cost £111 per boat"
So old Salty Sid in his 10 ft dinghy rowing out with a small gill net to catch a few bass 300 metres off the beach will now have to register said dinghy if he wishes to carry on supplementing his pension by selling the odd bass in the summer.

Up until this year boats using just oars or sail were excempt from the register ,but had to adhere to quotas and local byelaws and minimum landing sizes, and fishing doesn't come anymore eco-friendly than this !

So with this in mind how long will it be before all leisure boats and dinghies have registration numbers on the side and tax disk stickers on the transom ?

Incredible isn't it , cut the Coastguard right back but bring all this new red tape in ,in the same breath.

A New Thread required on this NEW SUBJECT please.

Seajet

Visit site
In Falmouth Harbour a byelaw says oyster dredging may only be done under sail, which gave rise to the wonderful 'Falmouth Working Boats' with huge rigs - originally taking the topmasts off for work or winter, nowadays these boats are a major tourist draw when they race, but I believe the oyster catching is kept nominally alive, as a token.

It would be a brave and / or foolish man indeed who stepped in the way of the Working Boat owners and crews demanding fees !

oldharry

Visit site
BORG has at last received a lengthy and detailed reply to our objections (see previous link). Working on a mobile I cannot post it to our website, but basically it stonewalls our objections, and says there is much more information about seagrass in the MAIA report shortly to come out which shows it is vulnerable to anchor damage.

The Seastar Survey is largely dismissed as being unsound, because it did not use a patch of untouched eelgrass in the VNAZ, so the comparison and conclusion is not valid! They are not prepared to fund further work on it.

However they do wish to continue in dialogue with us on this issue.

There are many questions arising from the reply, which we intend to pursue, but the bottom line seems to be at present that NE were asked by the government to produce a report, which they have done with information available up to the deadlines. They are satisfied they have produced an accurate report, and see no need to change their position on eelgrass vulnerability.

We are referred to the Public Consultation Period at which time any further information can be put forward directly to DEFRA: something we are preparing to do. The Consultation is scheduled to start in December.

Seajet

Visit site
Old Harry,

well let's hope they actually consult and listen to people this time !

As I mentioned previously, at my sailing club 3 people I've never heard of were taken to a spiffing lash-up lunch by Balanced Seas, and after what seems quite a convivial hydraulic time gave the thumbs up.

Next thing was a report " sailing club with 500 members consulted and agreed "...:mad:

MarlynSpyke

boatownersresponse.org.uk
Natural England's reply

BORG has at last received a lengthy and detailed reply to our objections (see previous link). Working on a mobile I cannot post it to our website...

The reply to BORG from Natural England, in which they try to refute our objections to the NE/JNCC “Advice to Government” is now on the BORG website, see http://boatownersresponse.org.uk and http://boatownersresponse.org.uk/latest-news/ . There’s also a brief commentary from BORG there - take a look at some of the timelines we list.

In the reply, you’ll see their attempt to wriggle out of the implications of the Seastar Survey report. It would be funny if it were not actually rather serious, but NE are now claiming that the Seastar survey, done to a methodology agreed by NE themselves, cannot actually show that the eelgrass is not being significantly damaged by anchoring, on the grounds that the comparison area, the VNAZ which they helped choose, had been previously used for anchoring! Was that carelessness, or was it a deliberate and cynical design, capable of showing if damage did occur, but deniable (in their view) if it did not show damage?

There are two further reports commissioned by NE et al due to be published, at least one of which is now several weeks overdue. They say that all evidence since their “Final Advice” will be up for consideration in the 3-month public consultation, due to start in December. N.B All boaters who want to keep the freedom to anchor should take part!!!

BORG will carry on making our case in appropriate places, as well as in the public consultation.

This show will run and run. The public consultation is only about which sites will become Marine Conservation Zones. After that, the Marine Management Organisation will be advised on what management measures (i.e. restrictions) to enforce in the MCZ’s. And who will advise them? Why, Natural England, of course…. But, according to the DEFRA website, there will be a further public consultation on this.

Tomahawk

Visit site
I would suggest that in the enqubiry process, it is worth raising questions about the role of NE. In any inquiry process that takes evidence, single interest pressure groups are given less credibility than inpartial witnesses...

On the face of it, NE act as scientific advisor to the Government, and as such their evidence to an enquiry is taken very seriously. However if an MCA is established it will need monitoring and studying in order to justify its existence. That will need more jobs and more work for NE staff...

This changes the role of NE from inpartial advisors to one of acting as a single interest pressure group who will becnefit from the process to the detriment of others...

yesod

Visit site
i note that the mcs is trying to drum up support in a letter writing compaign to nudge mps to vote for the mcs zones.

suggest everyone writes to their mp to put their own point of view on these zones (whatever that may be). mcs has a handy page to do that for you, you can delete their stuff and write your own:

http://www.mcsuk.org/mpa/england/write-to-mp