Studland Bay summary

oldharry

Visit site
Where have we got to?
Not a lot is happening just now while DEFRA looks at all the evidence, in preparation for the White Paper and 12 week Public Consultation, due in mid December. We continue to question NE about their 'Final Report to the Government', and to challenge the fact that they completely ignore the Seastar Survey in that report. Reason given it was published 'too late' for inclusion.

The Final Report' listed Studland and other eelgrass anchorages as 'high priority' for protection due to ongoing damage from 'anthropogenic interference' - i.e anchoring!

In the meantime we await the publication of another delayed report - the MAIA report on Studland Eelgrass. This is an EU funded in depth study of Studland eelgrass, in which both BORG and SBPA had a small but we hope significant input. If it goes the way we expect, it could turn the whole NE anchor damage argument upside down.

MMO has called another 'Studland Workshop' meeting late in November, by which time we should have the MAIA report. MMO has the task of deciding how each MCZ will be managed, so the Studland workshop is now key in the whole S Coast MCZ anchorage debate. What is decided for Studland will be the pattern for everywhere else that has Eelgrass - Osborne Bay, Bembridge and Priory Bay, the Exe, Plymouth, Falmouth, Helford and the Scillies. BORG will have two people there, alongside representatives from Studland Village, Poole Yacht Clubs and the RYA.

What happens next?
Nov 2012 MMO Studland workshop
Dec 2012: Publication of DEFRA White Paper on MCZs
Dec 2012 - Feb 2013 Public Consultation period on MCZs
Spring 2013 on: MCZ recommendations passed to Minster for designation. The Minister has promise to examine each area before decision, so it should not be just a 'rubber stamp' exercise.

Designation may take some time for the more controversial areas, but the MCZs must be in place by 2015 to comply with EU agreements.

As each area is designated it will be passed to the MMO who will decide on Management measures. In other words, it is the MMO who will decide what to do about Studland's anchoring problem, if it is designated. Likewise it will be MMO who decide how to manage the Falmouth race area, Osborne Bay and others.

How will it be managed? Who may be affected?
MMO is the enforcing authority for MCZs controlling any activity allowed in them.

It is a sobering thought that if the MCZ recommendations were passed as they stand in the NE Final Report, there would be NO OPEN ANCHORAGES in the E Solent, outside the recognised harbours. Almost the entire N and E coast of the IoW would be a no anchor zone. West Solent would fare rather better with the anchorage inside Hurst./ Keyhaven, Calshot and Beaulieu River lower reaches anchorage remaining open, but with a question mark over the anchorage outside Newtown and up the NW IOW coast.. NE still want to close down Newtown River altogether, but have bowed to pressure from ALL the 'stakeholders' there for the moment.

Last edited:

ARCO7

Visit site
Gloomy Outlook ?

Thank you Old Harry for that very useful situation report and good luck for the next Workshop Meeting ,lets hope it goes our way. I got the impression in August that many boaties who frequent the bay thought that the Seastar Report Findings would put an end to all this talk of anchorage bans , and as I suspected this was not the case at all. It does look like there are a few more hurdles to jump over before we get to that stage but with a bit of luck and a fair wind we'll eventually get there .
I found this rather good "Gloomy Outlook" video of Studland from the Save Studland Bay which has been posted recently on Youtube .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2A0OVIhYkE&list=UURd78z_DxNTljoG68ZQJqAA&index=1&feature=plcp

I hope the bay continues as normal next season and for many more to come and many thanks for all BORGs ,SBPA's and all the other pressure groups hard work and dedication throughout this long and complicated struggle against such OTT Conservation Madness let lose around our coasts.

Best Wishes to you all
ARC
Lymington, Hants

Seajet

Visit site
ARCO7,

that video can't be right, according to the Seahorse huggers and 'I want my paddling pool' divers, it's like Iwo Jima, a constant scene of destruction and mayhem as rich yotties set out to destroy the environment and the beaches...

I can well imagine such a scene of so many people - note, power and sail happily side by side - having an incredibly peaceful fun time would really upset the career conservationist ' me only ' brigades...

Thanks for posting that video !

Tomahawk

Visit site
in terms of the objectives of the Marine planning system..

Planning is used to regulate development for the public benefit. It is clear from the video that. very large number of people are deriving a benefit from the natural environment by way of simple recreation.

What would all those people be able to do with their boats of they are banned from anchoring as as shown in the video?

How many people would continue to keep boats if they were criminalised for using them as shown in the video?

How much damage will be caused to the marine leisure industry if the area becomes a conservation area and prevents boat owners enjoying their boats?

How many people would loose their jobs?

All to satisfy a selfish group of ecospotters....

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
It looks like Studland may have been dropped as a proposed MCZ. The government has apparently accepted only up to 31 MCZ's and no Reference zones. Perhaps sanity reigns afterall?
The Grauniad doesn't seem to like it

I disagree, the Grauniad reports that the enviro-fundamentalists don't like it, their supporting evidence has often been shown to be very weak (well done BORG for that) & the Govt won't risk going out on a limb on poor evidence.

oldharry

Visit site
I've started a new thread on the DEFRA report:

Basically designation of the key Solent/Studland anchoring areas has been 'deferred' for further discussion and investigation, largely because of the socio economic impacts of designation. This is what BORG has been saying all along, alongside SBPA. This in spite of the plea from NE and JNCC that these sites are at 'high risk' and should be considered for designation first.

It means although we have won this round, we haven't won the battle yet.

The 'Studland first round to us' thread will carry more detailed info as BORG works through the report, which has over 1GB of PDF download!

Link for anyone who wants to tackle it: http://www.defra.gov.uk/consult/2012/12/13/marine-conservation-zones-1212/