String or turnbuckle for lifelines?

GHA

Visit site
But why use rope? Strength for strength, it's bigger and more expensive than stainless 1x19. Unlike stainless, it suffers from UV degradation, and it's prone to chafing damage. It might be a bit lighter, but for a few metres of guardrail the difference won't be significant.
Use what you like most, but It's not prone to chaffing damage,(I tested it) , going up a size is an advantage as it's much nicer on the hands. Even if there is any uv degradation through the newer coatings it will still be stronger than the wire.
Price isn't an advantage. Though how much would a set of crimped liveliness cost with turnbuckle etc?
I replaced mine recently with d12 max sk99, took a couple of hours to splice each end and lash using dyneema cord. Stronger than steel wire rope, looks tidy and much nicer on the hands, no metal bits at all, plus completely diy - self sufficiency feels good on a boat :)
Didn't pay for the d12 though, otherwise the old ones complete with the with the kinks would probably still be one there.