Stores / food

Pye_End

Visit site
What is it like at the other end to re-provision with food etc?

Is all the usual available, and walking distance of the harbour, or should we be provisioning in the UK on the assumption that we will need most food for there and back?

Anything really expensive or really cheap out there?

helixkimara

Visit site
What is it like at the other end to re-provision with food etc?

Is all the usual available, and walking distance of the harbour, or should we be provisioning in the UK on the assumption that we will need most food for there and back?

Anything really expensive or really cheap out there?

Hi Pye,
There is, or was in 08, a large (ish) supermarket at the top end of the town of Pria da Vitoria. At least it’s a downhill walk to the marina (or taxi). It’s about (1/2 mile ish)
You may need to slightly change your list of food provisions to suit what is there. There are good fruit and veg shops and fantastic wet fish little market on the main street.(not suggesting you provision with fresh fish)
Can’t remember if they sold pre cooked dried packs. I had loads on board anyway.
Regards
Malcome

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Two good supermarkets up where Malcome mentions. Just about everything you could want, but tins of meat [ie beef and chicken] I find hard to find anywhere but the UK. Plenty of tinned fish, vegetables etc. 100 per cent fruit juices in tetra packs I've never been able to find so I take my own from the UK. UHT milk available in tetra packs. Prices on most things are fairly comparable with the rest of Europe. Beer and wine are much cheaper in the Azores than the UK, I usually come back with a wine list. The cheese is really wonderful and the stuff from Sao Jorge and Corvu are supposed to be very high in Omega 123 so you wont get cancer on the way back. Butane is available at the service station between the two supermarkets but you need to drop in a bottle and pick it up the next day as they refill it somewhere else and there is no exchange service - price perhaps a little cheaper than the UK. There is no fuel berth at Praia, but about 10 miles away by boat is Angra do Heroisme which has a good marina with a fuel berth and wonderful scenery as they call it the 'First City of the New World'.

Spuddy

Visit site
While the topic is up.....opportunity to ask about alcohol for my Origo stove. I'll settle for meths but alcohol a bruler equivalent would be good.

nicholas49

Visit site
stores/food

Hi. supermarket in Praia sells pretty much everything, including good range of absinthe.My son Andy sailed back with me, bought a water melon, on the way back it fell out of the rack and hit him in the face whilst he was asleep, he jumped up ready to fight me because he thought I had punched him in the face to get him up for his watch. On a serious note, I shall be taking a stack of ready meals from 'Look what we found', excellent, I even use them at home, just bought another 50 packs for sailing this summer. Light, quick to cook, tasty, keep for yonks, pricey and small portions(for me anyway).I have no connection with this company other than as a very satified customer, Nick.

Spuddy

Visit site
Lingering smell? Got lots of those and can't tell one from the other. I haven't found the meths smell a problem even with extended use