Steering Cable tension

mjpmjp

Visit site
The steering cables on my Sun Odyssey have a slight slackness. Whilst I can see how to adjust them, what is the correct tension? Can you make a visual assessment - say as a fan belt so if they can only be deflected by 1/2 inch or so that is roughly right? or is a more scientific approach needed? Any suggestions on best grease/oil/lube as well?

My system is made by Goiot, but guess there is unlikley to be fundamental differences to other wire on quadrant systems such as Whitlock etc.

Many thanks

MJP

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
If you have too much tension on the cables you will strain the quadrant head and the bearings. I would guess that about half an inch to an inch play is about right depending on the length of the run. I use a water proof grease on my cables.

<hr width=100% size=1>Chris Stannard

AndrewB

Visit site
Oddly, I've not seen any maker's advice on this either.

My take on this is the opposite of Chris Stannard's. I keep the cables quite taut. I don't want play at the wheel; nor a rudder that can flop about wearing the bearings etc; and I certainly don't want the risk that the wires might jump out of the turning block at the quadrant and jam it at the most inconvenient moment.

The rudder assembly has to be strong and should be well capable of taking this load.

<hr width=100% size=1>