Steelboats

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Exactly ! Too many are designed by people with zero hands on steel boat building , maintenance , or cruising experience, going by the designer's pin striped suit , with gold cuff links, and not asking about his hands on, steel boat experience.

It’s a stupid argument. My architect has never laid a brick in his life but I’d trust his designs every time over the brickie who lays the bricks.

If the designs were good and the concept was as good as you claim, commercial boat builders would be falling over themselves to build them. The fact that they’re not is not a conspiracy or fancy marketing.

I’ll leave you to work out the real reasons...

I think most other people worked it out a long time ago.

rotrax

Visit site
Seen some pretty bad plastic ones, far easier to screw up than origami steel , especially without a $300,000 female mold.

But, Brent-it costs nowhere near 300,000 dollars for a female mold. A complete GRP good quality yacht costs less in the 36 foot range.

You live in fantasy land-please go back there and stop wasting our time.

DownWest

Visit site
BS seems to be loosing the plot (if he ever had it..) VdeS design a lot of steel boats, both in round bilge and hard chine, but they are nothing to do with so called 'origami' methods., which might save a bit of time on the basic hull, but not after that.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
BS seems to be loosing the plot (if he ever had it..) VdeS design a lot of steel boats, both in round bilge and hard chine, but they are nothing to do with so called 'origami' methods., which might save a bit of time on the basic hull, but not after that.

I know. I pointed this out, but in the face of facts he just protests that his facts are better.

rotrax

Visit site
I know. I pointed this out, but in the face of facts he just protests that his facts are better.

I cant recall many FACTS presented by BS over the course of this thread.

Lots of opinion and anecdote, but few substantiated facts.

We have, I believe, agreed that steel yachts have certain atributes which make them eminently suitable for long distance cruising off the beaten track.

But, as small numbers of sailors choose this way of enjoying the pastime of sailing, it is a matter of indifference to most.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Mister E

Visit site
Brent needs more money to fly to Mexico again to get his teeth done.
So he comes on here to advertise his product. Without this forum he would have to pay.

Visit site

Van de Stadt 34s are basically origami boats, which use temporary external frame to hold the plates in place ,while the shape is determined by the shape of the plate edges ,especially in the ends ( Basic origami).
Reducing the hull building time form Colvins estimate of 1,000 hours to 90 hours is not insignificant , especially if you are paying shop rates for that. It explains why my hull and decks have been done for $17K ,while those using traditional means charge $250,000.
When Paul Wilson was building Opus , other people building steel boats in the area said origami would have knocked a year off their building time. So tell someone who is burned out by a long building project ,that another year would be nothing. He'll probably deck you .

Last edited:
Visit site
I cant recall many FACTS presented by BS over the course of this thread.

Lots of opinion and anecdote, but few substantiated facts.

We have, I believe, agreed that steel yachts have certain atributes which make them eminently suitable for long distance cruising off the beaten track.

But, as small numbers of sailors choose this way of enjoying the pastime of sailing, it is a matter of indifference to most.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Yes the number of people who choose full time cruising as a way of life are a small percentage, for which steel is ideal. For marina queens, plastic is ideal.
Fact . I have been living aboard and cruising mostly full time since my mid 20s, Fact .I have cruised most Pacific Island which interested me, over many decades, which I have posted the documentation for on this and other sites.
Fact . I have built several dozen steel boats , some for very experienced sailors , as proven in any search under Silas Crosby , Tagish , Around the World on Viski , Sail Magazine article "When Kim Rowed Over, "and Pacific Yachting's articles on Winston Bushnell's single season passage thru the NW passage, etc etc. .
Fact . Almost all my critics have not 1/10th the steel boat experience I have, most have none.
Fact . I have reduced the cost of roller furling to under $200, the cost of an anchor winch to under $75 , the cost of a windvane to under $50 , 540 GPD watermaker to under $1,000 , sheet blocks to $2, etc etc , making cruising more affordable to low income cruisers ,which my critics have done absolutely nothing of the kind. If anything they have tried to throw road blocks, to prevent he passing on of such info. Not one of them has offered ANY solutions to the biggest hurdle to getting out cruising , time and money.

Last edited:
Visit site
Brent needs more money to fly to Mexico again to get his teeth done.
So he comes on here to advertise his product. Without this forum he would have to pay.

Got more money than I know how to spend, thank to our pensions. Just trying to help out low income wannabe cruisers, which the snobs and ship swindlers hate me for .( predictably)

rotrax

Visit site
Your pensions paid for by people who work for a living and are constantly ridiculed by you.

Wasting your time.

BS is not aware of his lack of intelligence. He thinks he is a world leader in inexpensive boat builds.

The figures, and the rest of the boating world know different.

He is quite right that steel is a first class material for cheap self build, off track cruising and long term liveaboard use. Few argue against the fact that the material, and to some extent the design, is ideal for that purpose.

So few choose that method of sailing/liveaboard though that it is all pretty academic.

His intelligence quotient does not extend deep enough for him to see the paradox of his philosophy and his entrenched position on this matter.

As PeteCooper says, he takes the piss big time out of those who pay his pension.

Which, IMHO, makes him a tosser of the first water.

Status
Not open for further replies.