Steelboats

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
pendennis boat yard build with origami steel/aluminium from holland

Do please tell us which of these is origami? https://pendennis.com/concepts-2/

You miss the point you are missing is that if BS's designs and build methods were so wonderful, there would be boatyards building them by the dozen and turning a tidy profit. There aren't. None. Nada. Zilch.

Pendennis make custom yachts for slightly eyewatering prices unless you're talking about the different yard to the one I know?

Visit site
To desire nothing but what you have is surely happiness . Aboard a boat, it is frequently possible to achieve that . That is why sailing is that way of life., one of the finest of lives.
Carleton Mitchell.

Visit site
Do please tell us which of these is origami? https://pendennis.com/concepts-2/

You miss the point you are missing is that if BS's designs and build methods were so wonderful, there would be boatyards building them by the dozen and turning a tidy profit. There aren't. None. Nada. Zilch.

Pendennis make custom yachts for slightly eyewatering prices unless you're talking about the different yard to the one I know?

Strongall is still making them. Van de Stadt origami boats are plentiful. What stops yards from making more, is dinosaur thinking among both builders and buyers .

Visit site
So say's the master of exactly that!

The truism 'There are none so sanctimonious as reformed reprobates' fits perfectly here Brent.

There are shapes and sizes that will not work in origami Brent.

That has been pointed out to you before without challenge.

Errols boat is, IIRC, a 55 footer.

Any hard chine hull can be easily built using origami.It is thus no more restrictive than any hard chine construction.

Visit site
That is hardly true in the sense that you use 'origami'.

Yes, you have the option of full length chines , or conic ends, eliminating the chines in the bow and stern, in the process, eliminating 32 feet of cutting, fitting seams, welding and potential distortion .It doesn't leave much chine left, if you want to radius what's left, eliminating chines altogether . That would be less work, and certainly far less potential for distortion than full length chines.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Strongall is still making them. Van de Stadt origami boats are plentiful. What stops yards from making more, is dinosaur thinking among both builders and buyers .

Van de Stadt don’t build boats. They’re designers. Perhaps you’d like to link to one of their origami designs?

Strongall are not a major builder and you’ve proved my point. If the design and build techniques were so wonderful, major yards would jump at the idea and build boats and make money. They don’t which makes one question the truth of some of the claims you make.

Some interesting and sensible discussions from people who may know what they are talking about here: https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/...he-ugly-steel-building-methods-that-is.34211/

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
This is all very apposite http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?523398-Son-has-just-bought-a-boat

I suspect our son is going to learn the hard way about old steel tubs.

I have a friend that once bought a steel boat that was based on a fishing boat design and sort of completed by a small yard that built fishing boats. It was an absolute pig in close quarters handling and I was used to long keel boats, we christened it bong because of the ensuing noises it made as it was brought alongside of anything. He kept it in a marina and very early on he went into the office and requested a bigger berth, the response was something along the lines of yes we have seen you and will give you a wide berth, it was meant not in the dimensional sense.:rolleyes:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It’s not the material it’s the design

If you are commenting on my last post then I have seen quite a few French designs for amateur/ home build and they are not pretty. A friend that used to sail with me on seeing a French steel boat with davits remarked that it looked more like a wheelbarrow than a boat, he was correct.:eek:

Wansworth

Visit site
Exactly.......remember”Jessica” three masted gaff rigged schooner ,perfect ,Hull was steel.Steel can attract people who seem to think the hull and deck is the most expensive bit of a boat a bit like ferro cement.

Visit site
Van de Stadt don’t build boats. They’re designers. Perhaps you’d like to link to one of their origami designs?

Strongall are not a major builder and you’ve proved my point. If the design and build techniques were so wonderful, major yards would jump at the idea and build boats and make money. They don’t which makes one question the truth of some of the claims you make.

Some interesting and sensible discussions from people who may know what they are talking about here: https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/...he-ugly-steel-building-methods-that-is.34211/
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?498670-Steelboats/page14#mLevoEDmQdl6OApt.99
In what part of my post did I say Van de Stadt makes boats? Again, you are making up words to put in my mouth ,to give yourself something to argue against , the old "straw man argument" strategy . The Van de Stad 34 is an origami boat , which uses temporary outside frame supports , to make it easier , but the shape is defined by the plate shapes , origami style, especially in the ends.
Had a virus planted on my computer here, so don't come here with my computer . Plenty of experts here , to fix that quickly in library computers. I guess that is why this site is blocked at the hotel.

Last edited:
Visit site
If you are commenting on my last post then I have seen quite a few French designs for amateur/ home build and they are not pretty. A friend that used to sail with me on seeing a French steel boat with davits remarked that it looked more like a wheelbarrow than a boat, he was correct.:eek:

Seen some pretty bad plastic ones, far easier to screw up than origami steel , especially without a $300,000 female mold.

Visit site
It’s not the material it’s the design

Exactly ! Too many are designed by people with zero hands on steel boat building , maintenance , or cruising experience, going by the designer's pin striped suit , with gold cuff links, and not asking about his hands on, steel boat experience.

Visit site
As I have said many times ( but some never read) Steel's advantages are only in long term ,full time cruising, as a way of life, not in spending 10 months a year in marinas being neglected , for which plastic is far superior ,which is why there are far more plastic boats ,and a far better market for them, for manufacturers . Get it? Yet? Read this until it sinks in, for however long that takes , for it to get thru the ivory.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
More likely is that no-one wants a rusty minger.

"No-one" is a little unfair. A tiny minority of boat buyers want steel. A tiny minority of that tiny minority want origami steel. And a tiny minority of that tiny minority of that tiny minority want BS origami steel.

So it's not quite "no-one". Meanwhile Bavaria has sold around 50,000 yachts, every one GRP.

Status
Not open for further replies.