Staying in EU 90 days

Sadlerfin

Visit site
I've been considering the possibility of buying or taking my boat to the Med.

I'm happy with the challenge of getting there but am unclear how long I can stay as the rules appear to be 90 days in any 180 days? Frankly if there is no way round this I can't see how it's worthwhile.

Assume I made it to the Med within the 90 days allowed do other Liveaboards then go to a non EU country and if so how practical is it? Turkey would be an obvious choice but how easy is it to take a vessel from Greece to Turkey and back ? I've sailed in both countries but never between the two of them. Other than Turkey what other options are there please.

Finally I've been told if I take a UK boat the the med which is Vat paid I have to pay again if its away for more than 3 years . is this correct?

Thanks

Delbuoy

syvictoria

Visit site
I've been considering the possibility of buying or taking my boat to the Med.

I'm happy with the challenge of getting there but am unclear how long I can stay as the rules appear to be 90 days in any 180 days? Frankly if there is no way round this I can't see how it's worthwhile.

Assume I made it to the Med within the 90 days allowed do other Liveaboards then go to a non EU country and if so how practical is it? Turkey would be an obvious choice but how easy is it to take a vessel from Greece to Turkey and back ? I've sailed in both countries but never between the two of them. Other than Turkey what other options are there please.

Finally I've been told if I take a UK boat the the med which is Vat paid I have to pay again if its away for more than 3 years . is this correct?

Thanks

Delbuoy

Hi Delbuoy/Sadlerfin. This subject has been discussed A LOT on these forums. Have you read through some of the recent (post Brexit - as things have changed since 31/12/20) threads? Perhaps have a read and then come back with any specific questions that remain unanswered?

Tranona

Visit site
To keep it simple. Two sets of rules, one for the boat and one for you. UK boat can stay in the EU for nominally 18 months bit this can be renewed by leaving the EU and then re-entering. The "3 year" rule no longer applies and provided you bring it back into the UK no new VAT is payable. UK resident no longer has unlimited freedom of movement so is bound by Schengen third country rules which limit you to 90 out of any 180 days. Some states have easier residence rules than others, but none allow you extra movement into another EU state. Others notably France have extended visitor visa, but these are usually expensive and restrictive.

Upshot is that the "going to the Med slowly then living aboard" regime is no longer practical for most UK residents/citizens.

As ever the best place for information on boaty matters is the RYA, although there is still some flux and uncertainty about how the post 2021 rules will work, so things may change in detail, but not the basic principles because they were part of the withdrawal agreement.

syvictoria

Visit site
Just to add:

Some states have easier residence rules than others, but none allow you extra movement into another EU state.
And don't overlook tax implications if you take the residency route.

Others notably France have extended visitor visa, but these are usually expensive and restrictive.
I believe the French long stay visitor visa is only about EUR 90, but you do need to prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself (there's a daily amount required to cover your stay depending upon your accommodation plans - pre booked or not). There's a recent thread with links and more info about this.

Upshot is that the "going to the Med slowly then living aboard" regime is no longer practical for most UK residents/citizens.
Arguably (at the current time) it takes more effort and is more expensive. If you're happy to cruise only a couple of countries, rather than freely throughout the Med, then it's still doable via residency and/or visas.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Turkey would be an obvious choice but how easy is it to take a vessel from Greece to Turkey and back ? I've sailed in both countries but never between the two of them.

Delbuoy
In normal times there's no issue taking a boat from Greece to Turkey or vice versa Subject to the usual check-in/check-out formalities. However because of covid Greece did not accept private yachts arriving from Turkey for most of 2020 and 2021. This restriction was removed last August and hopefully will not be reimposed but it's well to be aware of it.

Sadlerfin

Visit site
Thanks all for your replies.

I am eligible for a Irish passport, however, a relative who recently did tells me the Irish Gov have suspended the applications for the time being.

Lots to ponder, but I think it's not for me.

syvictoria

Visit site

I am eligible for a Irish passport, however, a relative who recently did tells me the Irish Gov have suspended the applications for the time being.

Re the suspension of applications, was that to register a foreign birth (often the first step to obtaining citizenship)? If so, they did suspend applications during a covid lockdown, but I think they're back up and running now. The lead time for this is potentially a couple of years though!

That all said, obtaining an Irish passport would provide you and a spouse/civil partner/children with full EU freedom of movement (so long as you're travelling together).

Irish Rover

Visit site

Who can use the Passport Online Services - Department of Foreign Affairs
Irish citizens, both adults and children, can apply for first time passports and renewals online if they are resident in:

You must live in

• Ireland
  • Northern Ireland
  • Great Britain
  • Europe
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • United States

If you live outside of the countries which offer all passport services online, see our how to apply for a passport guide.https://www.dfa.ie/passports/how-to-apply-for-a-passport/

Momac

Visit site
Visas are country specific, there's no Schengen extension visa.
Is that a problem other than cost depending of how many countries are to be visited?
However it would be good if a longer stay could be agreed and it would be a benefit to the EU.

st599

Visit site
Is that a problem other than cost depending of how many countries are to be visited?
However it would be good if a longer stay could be agreed and it would be a benefit to the EU.

It would be a benefit to the EU, which is why they reportedly offered it. UK rejected apparently.

Momac

Visit site
It would be a benefit to the EU, which is why they reportedly offered it. UK rejected apparently.
If the EU or any other non EU country want to offer UK citizens 180 days stay without a Visa I don't see why that should be a matter for UK government approval nor rejection.

syvictoria

Visit site
If the EU or any other non EU country want to offer UK citizens 180 days stay without a Visa I don't see why that should be a matter for UK government approval nor rejection.

The EU, reasonably it could be argued, wanted reciprocity. The UK were unwilling to agree to this and instead proceeded to offer EU citizens 180/360 under their own terms, thereby closing down negotiations on the matter. That clearly wasn't in our (long term cruisers/travellers/2nd home owners) best interests, but unfortunately we're the minority.

Daydream believer

Visit site
It may not be of concern now but during the negotiations it obviously was. if one side offer something, seemingly freely then one can bet that further down the negotiations they will want something in return. Especially the EU. So it may be that the Uk negotiators turned it down to avoid being caught out later on. they probably thought "Hey, who on earth would want to go to France or Spain for more than 90 days in one go anyway?" & you can see their reasoning.
Edit ---crossed as #18 was typing

Momac

Visit site
The EU, reasonably it could be argued, wanted reciprocity. The UK were unwilling to agree to this and instead proceeded to offer EU citizens 180/360 under their own terms, thereby closing down negotiations on the matter. That clearly wasn't in our (long term cruisers/travellers/2nd home owners) best interests, but unfortunately we're the minority.
I see
So its the EU imposed restriction.
I guess if the EU make it 180 days they then have to offer the same to every other 3rd country.

To be honest this does not affect me at the moment . But interested as it could affect me in the future.

I dont see problem really other than Visas are not free issue.