stainless steel props

spannerman

Visit site
I know for sure that Volvo ali props have a rubber bush in the center and I think the SS ones do also, is it a single prop drive on the boat or Duo prop?

G

Single, but I am concerned about the problems that people have experienced with anodes at Chatham marina, if I put this on I could end up putting new anodes on every three months!

spannerman

Visit site
Yes its true that a SS prop will cause your anodes to dissolve more quickly. that is because the SS is less reactive with seawater than the aluminium, so the aluminium now becomes the second most reactive metal in the chain after the zinc anode. I keep my boat in most of the year and the anodes on the drive easily last more than a year, but I change them anyway, cheap insurance!

duncan

Visit site
having been based on the Medway for 6 years with first a Merc 90 and Dory then a Merc 175 on a slightly bigger boat I would comment as follows - 1 did 3 alloy props in the first year; 1 on a piece of flotsam 2 on a nylon bail strap (from the paper mill upstream at Arelsford) and the 3rd on the only rock in the damm estuary - will give you the coordinates if you want.
Having switched to stainless I then had 5 years with just the odd tiny mark on a blade from time to time.
Now in Poole - where the same thing applies! Most alloy props are destroyed in gravelly muddy stuff that will only clean a stainless prop (but might block the water intake so not recommended practice).
PS if you get out to the Thames its also mud, sand and floting rubbish not rock....

spannerman

Visit site
Couldn't agree more, I was just in Miami and visited lots of boat yards, everything had twin O.B's or I.B's and every single boat had very shiny SS props! and most had the paint on the skeg worn away. The reason - its quite shallow in the Intercoastal Waterway and you can see the bottom most of the time, the SS props survive running in silt better than ali ones. Had my SS prop in the sea continously since 1996 and still looks like new, SS rules!

G

Ok guys, wher is the best place to get a couple of props 14 x 19, one to put on and one spare, Oh and a floating spanner to change it on the move, cannot find them anywhere,

Cheers

P.S. How do I know if mine goes right or left ? I don't want one that means you have to turn the wheel the opposite direction when you drive to go the right way, although that would be better for my wife in reverse, as she was having a few probs.

whisper

Visit site
STOP WORRYING FOR GAWD'S SAKE !!
You're very brave sending your missus on a sea survival course, though. The struggling in and under the water trying to right a liferaft on her own, might put her off for ever.
Aah, what bliss - it worked for me ! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

G

I'm not worried, more like, whilst I have the time, taking on board everyones experiences good and bad and trying to get the best out of all of it. I think I am nearly there though, just got to sort out the radar course for the missus (if she survives the survival course) and me and that's it, Oh, and CEVNI test, that is getting booked up when I get the book from the RYA (which is ordered) and see how much there is to study, unless you think I have missed anything.

G

I bought my SOLAS plastic card, but what are the numbers of these forms, I haven't got them yet.

glmuse

Visit site
Thanks for all your comments. Think we know which way to go now.
Next question - anyone know who does the best deal in SS props?

Geraldine

terryw

Visit site
I had the misfortune to "clip" a steel mooring bouy last year whilst waiting to get through the bridge in Poole (had to take avoiding action from some pillock also waiting). The boat had a 5.0GXi Volvo with SS Duoprop. Result - One blade on one prop folded in half, and engine auto cut-out as designed. Restarted and got back to Southampton at full cruising speed (27 Kn) although a lot of vibration. When repaired there was NO damage to gearbox, and sacrificial bush was replaced, although it had not completely failed.
Wonder if I would have got back if I had ally props?

G

I guess you could have lost all blades on the ally one, I'm more convinced of the SS now, just need to find the best quality one at the best price, seem to be a few imported from the far east, don't know what the quality & performance is like.

cngarrod

Visit site
Hi,

nteresting thread - am one that has got me thinking... i have duo prop (290) with std ally props... the Volvo manual says not to use s/s ones as this will effect all and sundry with the extra weight etc.

Now this has got me thinking that maybe they're just trying to keep the sales of replacement ones up?

So am i right in assuming this won't be a problem? and with all the other benefits mentioned on here - it seems that they should have them as std?

Cheers,

C

G

C, well put me too, glad we have such great knowledge on here /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. Mind you if they are all talking nonsense, because they are gearbox manufacturers and want extra business, don't worry we will find them /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

cngarrod

Visit site
Time will tell i guess!

have read all your posts with interest, as i was in the same "boat" a couple of years ago.. i did it slightly different though - maybe a bit too much gung ho!

Brought my 1st boat for £5k and played with it, up and down the river, mooring, breaking down, taking on water and so on
Did my Day skipper practical over the winter and then bought a bogger one for £17k got my VHF license - but still no practical qualifications and continue to play!
brought the new boat back on april of last year, from Medway Bridge Marina to Ipswich, 1st decent journey and got to know the boat a bit better - sure i carry flares, emergency outboard and life jackets and 2 spare vhf's... but i don't carry an inflatable, epirb, spare crew, or similar. My main reason for this is that i stayed within sight of land the whole time, well in vhf and mobile range...

i did do a passage plan, plotted it on paper and hand held gps (with map), had the engine serviced and all things replaced before departure inc new ally props (£500 +!!!!!) as the last pair were knackered.

Maybe i was lucky, not sure, but i felt comfortable and not in any real danger - i think that is the key - you can worry too much about having this and having that, making sure i got this qualification and that knowledge etc, btu you can spend a fortune and not know how to get out of the marina! So i still can't moor it for toffee, my mrs has depression at the minute and cannot deal with stress.. so she isn't coming near the boat for a while, as trying to moor is nearly giving her a heart attack(!) - so i will pratice and practice again, until i have the confidence to do it.

In my opinion, the hardest part of owning a boat is (1) finding the money to buy the bits and toys you want and (2) getting in and out of the marina without looking a pratt of hitting all and sundry !

The most important thing is to have fun... it is supposed to be a hobby and relax you... not give you ulcers in the process!

Cheers,

Craig.

G

Craig, I guess you can tell me a few stories. See luckily as I explained we have had the time to prepare, I did the level 2 powerboat course, briliant, brilliant, brilliant. We covered more stuff than normal students I guess as we had read EVERYTHING 20 times over before we went, I read Coastal navigation by Gerry Smith, Inshore Navigation by Tom Cunliffe, Powerboat training by Peter White, International regulations for preventing collisions at sea by RYA, Sea survival by RYA, flag etiquette & visual signals by RYA, powerboating practical course notes by RYA, VHF DSC handbook by Reed's + RYA G22 + G26, Competent crew practical course notes & day skipper practical sailing course notes (in order that I could understand the mentality of raggies), a seaman's guide to the rules of the road by MTB, then also got the cockpit companions for cockpit and weather.

We had loads of time for mooring practice, ferrying, mob drills, 3 point turns, manual navigation and GPS. I would NOT have gon on the sea without doing this course, but that is me, you all have your choice. Anyway I feel at least I have done some preparation and should have more time to put this research and training into action when I get the boat, that will be the real test, but I think it will be more enjoyable as we now understand the basics. Perhaps others know of other books, but to tell you the truth I think I have read enough, I was turning a bit boring so my wife said, but she has read them all as well so I guess we are like Terry & June /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I have decided not to get the satellite phone, as apparently T-mobile has a decent signal in the river medway and around sheerness, If I do plan to go around the world, then I will get one, but my tanks are not big enough so looks unlikely, unless I can rig up a telescopic mast, retractable keel and rudder, (watch this space)

Re the kids plastic boat, I got this as a safety precaution for my 14mth old, if we go on fire or hit a large object (like sheerness) and have to abandon ship at the last moment, I will put my daughter in it and my wife and i will be attached to it either side in the water. The poor little souls core temp would drop dramatically faster than ours so it is better than nothing. Looing at the charts it is a high possibility that I will be standing in stinking mud holding a kids plastic boat as the tide goes out /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Cheers and happy cruising

cngarrod

Visit site
Hi ya,

I guess everyone can tell stories, most a lot more than me!

Reading - wow... you did a lot of that and to be fair i think you are most likely right about that and the courses you have taken or taking, i posted a thread on here ages ago about whether to do Day skipper practical or Power boat I or II - got a heap of answers and in the end one of th eother forum posters offered to come down and go through it with me (checked his credentials and he is very well clued up!) - mind you haven't taken advantage of it yet.. but i know i can if i need to!

A couple of books you mentioned, are of interest and i would be gratful for a synopsis:- Power Boat training and Powerboating practical course notes.

As we are nto that far away from each other, maybe we can meet up in th emiddle for a beer sometime...

Only piece o advice i can offer (and i am still a novice!) is that if you are not sure abotu anything, tides, weather depth or whatever... cancel the trip / day out... it ain't worth the discomfort and greif you will get from the other half!

Cheers,

Craig.

Russell

Visit site
I've been playing on the Medway for 25 years now, and I've run aground loads of times. So what ? its only soft mud, apart from the big pile of rocks between Bayford Point and Shoregate which tore off the best part of 1 blade and bent the other 2 at 90°. This was on an ally prop and Steel Developments fixed in and it was smoother and faster than before. The leg kicked up as designed and no permanent damage was done, apart from losing a weeks skiing.
We put a set of stainless douprops on a Martinique 36 and although it was slightly faster it accelerated much more slowly, especially when heavy. Personally I prefered the ally props because they made the boat more responsive. It also ate the anodes faster with stainless.