Fuel tank gauging ... problem.

Refueler

Visit site
My Primor 24 has twin 100ltr fuel tanks that are stainless steel boxes .... one port side - other starboard side ...

Both sit on the hull bottom and extend up into the underdeck space behind the cockpit side bulkheads. At lest 40% - the upper part is hidden in that narrow space and no way to access.

Both tanks are dipped by wood stick for content ... but with wind and temperature - the dip quickly fades ...

I would like to find a way to gauge the tanks remotely ... tanks setup.jpg

As can be seen from this diagram - the gap from tank to structure is not even enough to get hand up ...

vas

Visit site
pressure sensor to gauge stack of fuel on top of sensor (so sensor fits on the outlet low down...)
Problems:
1. finding right kit (did my own custom with a 5euro differential sender into N2K via approriate teensy micro controller)
2. question if you can sleep at night knowing that all fuel pressure goes to a tiny gauge pipe to the sender and if that or the sender fails, all fuel eventually goes to the bilge. (yes you can place said contraption after the fuel tank stop cocks so not much to loose if it fails - for the record mine works fine now for 6yrs, both diesel and fresh water)

billskip

Visit site
Electrically remotely or visually?
Visually wouldn't be difficult going by your drawing...a simple transparent plastic tube with a valv on both ends " t'd " into the thank outlet line...coiled up and kept down by tank.

Reactions: vas

Refueler

Visit site
I did think about a clear pipe T'd into outlet - then up the cockpit side visible ... but decided it would be unsightly ...

I would prefer electronic of course - nice gauge on the console.

I looked again on boat and tanks are fixed in place .. no signs of bolts or other to allow removal.

One temporary idea I had was to have a stiff clear tube with small red ball floating inside and light rod out at top. Put stick into tank .. ball floats at level ... rod is held when tube removed - ball stays at level. But what a palaver !! I have thin lightweight CF rods ...

billskip

Visit site
I did think about a clear pipe T'd into outlet - then up the cockpit side visible ... but decided it would be unsightly ...

I would prefer electronic of course - nice gauge on the console.

I looked again on boat and tanks are fixed in place .. no signs of bolts or other to allow removal.

One temporary idea I had was to have a stiff clear tube with small red ball floating inside and light rod out at top. Put stick into tank .. ball floats at level ... rod is held when tube removed - ball stays at level. But what a palaver !! I have thin lightweight CF rods ...
I'm sure (I would make) there must be a vertical rod with float with a sender on it that can be put in the filler cap hole where you put the dip stick.
1000005704.jpg

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site

Alicatt

Visit site
On mine as there is a bend between filler cap and tank, dipping the tank does not work, tried it, I am thinking of a clear tube teed off between the outflow and the breather, as there is no shut off valve just yet I'm trying to think of ways to take off the fuel feed to the engine so I can put in a shut off valve, as the tank is fairly full and at cruising speeds the boat consumes about 0.5l/h to get through the 100+ litres that is in the tank is going to take a while, tank is aluminium, holds 120litres, and is built in to the side of the boat

Was wondering if one of those freezer sprays you use on water pipes to block them would work with diesel, failing that it's a few jerry cans and the sump oil pump to suck it out.

Refueler

Visit site
The question with the vertical sender is also the diameter of the float round the rod ... whether its an easy fit through filler ... last thing I want is a just enough fit and getting it trapped.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
I'm replacing the waste tank internal gauge by a Gobius Pro (can be used for all fluids).

Not the cheapest option but easy and straighfoward to install (RTFM first). Set up via app and blueteeth, hence monitor on the phone as well as a pair of LEDs.
For some unfathomable reason, these LEDs are encased in an ugly rubber thing that I would never dream of having on my boat.

1716477643504.png

I made my own LED panel, but could get by with the app alone.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
I'm replacing the waste tank internal gauge by a Gobius Pro (can be used for all fluids).

Not the cheapest option but easy and straighfoward to install (RTFM first). Set up via app and blueteeth, hence monitor on the phone as well as a pair of LEDs.
For some unfathomable reason, these LEDs are encased in an ugly rubber thing that I would never dream of having in my boat.

View attachment 177429

I made my own LED panel, but could get by with the app alone.

mmmm interesting ...

Reminds of when I used to gauge Halon Tanks ... we used a sensitive dial thermometer ... slide it up ... then down tank - see where the temperature changed. That was the level.

Refueler

Visit site
Lots of petrol cars about.....

Yes ... the senders are the fixed to the tanks ... here we are talking about putting into tank - then taking out .. if the tank is grounded to system - care must be that the sender mount plate is not in conflict .. it shouldn't be but working with fuels like this makes one consider all possibilities.