ST60 Log and Transducer Removal

marchhare

Visit site
Need to remove both but would like to re-use them so any tips of getting them out without wrecking them. Don't know how they were seated in but assume mastic of some type was used. Would heating the area with a hair dryer to make the mastic substance more pliable help, for example.

Tranona

Visit site
Unlikely. Depends on the sealer used. If it is a non setting type such as a polysulphide you stand a chance, but a polyurethane takes more shifting and the plastic housing might not take it. Take the internal locknuts off and tap the tops with a piece of wood spreading the pressure. Once you break the seal you may be able to cut the sealant behind the flange.

smth448

Visit site
I had to do exactl;y the same this winter. The depth transducer came out nice and easily by running a knife round the flange outside to cut the sealant. The log however was smashed to pieces as the sealant simply would not let go at all.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
There's a lot to be said for using a rubber gasket instead of the ubiquitous black sealant. The backnut holds fittings mechanically so you don't need glue and the compressed rubber provides a watertight seal.

marchhare

Visit site
Managed to remove both intact and no damage. Made easier by having one person inside the boat pushing and rocking the unit to loosen it, and the other underneath using two scrapers to lever against the flange until they could get a grip on it. The prep was as recommended, to cut through and where possible remove any sealant, needs patience and time, also the sealant still had some flexibility.

gjgm

Visit site
Need to remove both but would like to re-use them so any tips of getting them out without wrecking them. Don't know how they were seated in but assume mastic of some type was used. Would heating the area with a hair dryer to make the mastic substance more pliable help, for example.
I have taken off a few, and they can be very hard to get out. I drill out and then break out the plastic locking nut on the inside.. it should have been thread sealed with sealant, so there is no chance of unscrewing it. I bought a new transducer, as that is alot cheaper than finding your re-used one is leaking and having to get the boat lifted back out - or it has sunk !