St Peter Port

Daydream believer

Visit site
Friend of mine is one the way back from Camaret. He is currently in St Peter Port ( having beeen to St Helier as well) & says the inner harbour is virtually deserted. He feels like Billy No Mates.
The weather is still pretty good, & even if one stops at Cherbourg to make the journey more palatable on the way, booking in & out of schengan is easy enough there.
So why is nobody going there?
Has everyone given up for the year?

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
They have priced themselves out of the market?
Always think it’s very good value: £30 a night for a 9.5m boat. A couple of free nights usually thrown in, if you ask nicely, and are around for a week+.

It does seem quiet, on the inside, these days though. I first noticed the change, sat as one of less than 10 boats, in Victoria, when Guernsey reopened from the Covid lockdown. Still pretty lively outside. (Rafted 3 deep over August Bank Holiday.) Wonder if it’s to do with boat LOA’s & drafts increasing? The fingers are OK if you draw 1.8m, or under; and are around 35’. But too shallow for a typical modern 2m+ draft and too tight for a 40 footer. Which seems the contemporary default ‘standard’ size….

The fact that the outer pontoons are now walk ashore (although that happened well before routine rafting in Victoria ceased), and that to time your tides for Roscoff or Cherbourg means that you need to be outside the cill,(although that’s always been the case) may be factors too.

Pity for Guernsey. But great for those of us who enjoy a ringside seat in the centre of St Peter Port. Soaking up that unique Island atmosphere. Can’t beat it, in my book!

Last edited:

Beelzebub

Visit site
St Peter Port has always quietened at the end of August. The French holidays are over and even English visiting schoolkids have to go back home.

From September St Peter Port tends to attract people on a longer passage, usually heading south or south-west and of course there aren't so many of these.

Having said that, the suggestion that St P.P. may be pricing itself out of the market is also relevant. Compared with the adjacent French ports, it is expensive.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
Having said that, the suggestion that St P.P. may be pricing itself out of the market is also relevant. Compared with the adjacent French ports, it is expensive.
Price compares favourably with Uk destinations & is a very pleasant place to stay. Remember it is somewhere different to the usual S coast haunts, so give one a more "holiday" feel. I was in Dunkirk, Dieppe & Boulogne in August & noticed an increase in price.

nburrell

Visit site
St Peter Port has always quietened at the end of August. The French holidays are over and even English visiting schoolkids have to go back home.

From September St Peter Port tends to attract people on a longer passage, usually heading south or south-west and of course there aren't so many of these.

There's also the added complication of checking in/out of France - those heading north on a longer passage may prefer to stay in France and check out at Cherbourg before heading to UK

John_Silver

There's also the added complication of checking in/out of France - those heading north on a longer passage may prefer to stay in France and check out at Cherbourg before heading to UK
Although, coming in from South Biscay / Spain up to the East Coast (as Stargazer does each Autumn), St Peter Port works well for Schengen formalities, tidally, and keeping to the rhumb line. The need to stamp passports does mean sticking to Roscoff and Cherbourg as the ports before and after, however. Fortunately both have a slick stamping operation.

mickbond

Visit site
Always think it’s very good value: £30 a night for a 9.5m boat. A couple of free nights usually thrown in, if you ask nicely, and are around for a week+.

It does seem quiet, on the inside, these days though. I first noticed the change, sat as one of less than 10 boats, in Victoria, when Guernsey reopened from the Covid lockdown. Still pretty lively outside. (Rafted 3 deep over August Bank Holiday.) Wonder if it’s to do with boat LOA’s & drafts increasing? The fingers are OK if you draw 1.8m, or under; and are around 35’. But too shallow for a typical modern 2m+ draft and too tight for a 40 footer. Which seems the contemporary default ‘standard’ size….

The fact that the outer pontoons are now walk ashore (although that happened well before routine rafting in Victoria ceased), and that to time your tides for Roscoff or Cherbourg means that you need to be outside the cill,(although that’s always been the case) may be factors too.

Pity for Guernsey. But great for those of us who enjoy a ringside seat in the centre of St Peter Port. Soaking up that unique Island atmosphere. Can’t beat it, in my book!

Boathook

Visit site
I've always avoided the inner harbour at St Peter Port even when it meant using the dinghy to go ashore. I visited friends in there, and whilst it was good for facilities and a bit closer to the town I felt that the outer harbour was more pleasant and you can leave at any time.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Although, coming in from South Biscay / Spain up to the East Coast (as Stargazer does each Autumn), St Peter Port works well for Schengen formalities, tidally, and keeping to the rhumb line. The need to stamp passports does mean sticking to Roscoff and Cherbourg as the ports before and after, however. Fortunately both have a slick stamping operation.
My friend logged in at Cherbourg, along with some others who are heading to the ARC. They visited Guernsey then Roscoff whilst still logged in. Then went on the Camaret where my friend turned back via Treguier, & St Helier. He has today left Guernsey for Cherbourg- still logged in. He intends to go to Dieppe, where he will log out before going to Dover. If necessary he will make an "emergency" stop at Boulogne, where I doubt anyone will bother him.

John_Silver

My friend logged in at Cherbourg, along with some others who are heading to the ARC. They visited Guernsey then Roscoff whilst still logged in. Then went on the Camaret where my friend turned back via Treguier, & St Helier. He has today left Guernsey for Cherbourg- still logged in. He intends to go to Dieppe, where he will log out before going to Dover. If necessary he will make an "emergency" stop at Boulogne, where I doubt anyone will bother him.
I tried that (staying booked in) coming south, in April, from a Dieppe arrival, through Cherbourg, St Peter Port and into Roscoff. Where I was met by a posse of Douanes and informed that they would fine me, if I tried it again. Did try to make a case but they just said “Guernsey is not Schengen.” Which was tricky to argue with. Hence the goody-two-shoes book out at Roscoff, re entry at Cherbourg, followed by a final book out at Dieppe, in August / September. Less hassle than it sounds.

Last edited:

Bandit

Visit site
St Peter Port, the number of boats drops French and UK drops dramatically after the third week of August as people prepare to finish their summer holidays, especially families with kids going back to school.

Normally one would expect the the odd storm in September and sometimes they are vicious and sometimes the whole month can be unsettled, this month it has been very good and settled for the first two weeks, the next week at least looks unsettled. This affects anyone thinking about returning across the Channel.

Price wise for visitors Guernsey is on a par with French Marinas and probably cheaper than most south coast UK.

Last edited:

ashtead

Visit site
I would have thought if leaving cherbourg it’s entirely possible you might end up in StPP or st Helier even if aiming for say St Cast -always seems to happen to us . Best laid plans often change .

doug748

Visit site
I tried that (staying booked in) coming south, in April, from a Dieppe arrival, through Cherbourg, St Peter Port and into Roscoff. Where I was met by a posse of Douanes and informed that they would fine me, if I tried it again. Did try to make a case but they just said “Guernsey is not Schengen.” Which was tricky to argue with. Hence the goody-two-shoes book out at Roscoff, re entry at Cherbourg, followed by a final book out at Dieppe, in August / September. Less hassle than it sounds.

Did you tell them or did they know? If they knew you have been in the C Isles, how do you think they knew?

I am asking because I am trying to build a picture of how the system works, in practice not theory. Thanks.

doug748

Visit site
Checking in and out of Cherbourg could hardly be easier. Customs turn up at Capitainerie at 9AM and 6PM. You turn up with a paper PAF or proof that you emailed it to them, they stamp your passport, job done.

In your practical experience they are quite happy with a paper PAF produced on the day? With no Preavis form sent in advance?

This is important because, boats being what they are, it is much easier and less hassle, not to try and nail your exact time of entry and port in advance.