St Peter Port

Beelzebub

Visit site
Unfortunately, Friday and Saturday nights in St Peter Port are best avoided due to the large numbers of young people desperate to get smashed as quickly as possible.

The cruise liner passengers are of dubious value to the island; they don't spend very much and just clog the place up.

As for chain stores; the rents charged for commercial premises have risen to such an extent as to force out independent businesses.

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
In your practical experience they are quite happy with a paper PAF produced on the day? With no Preavis form sent in advance?

This is important because, boats being what they are, it is much easier and less hassle, not to try and nail your exact time of entry and port in advance.

Cherbourg OK with either Preavis in paper (from marina desk) on the day or an electronic one sent before you meet them. (Although outside Haut Saison, you may need to walk over to their offices)
Roscoff want an electronic one in advance. Mainly so that they can ask you to attend at a time when they are not busy with a ferry.

My impression though, from using the system this year and last, is that the PAF on the ground are happy to work with you, if you show willing.

Boathook

Visit site
It wasn't the rafting up that I didn't like, it was the security on the pubs and restaurants, Stag and Hen do's throwing up in the street, Cruise ships dumping 4000 tourists ashore at a time, and the chain stores.
Weymouth has all the above apart from the cruise ships that go to Portland and bus the passengers to Weymouth.

Dutch01527

Visit site
I was there weeks ago over the August bank holiday weekend. Victoria was pretty much full and rafted 3 deep outside. End of summer rush maybe. They were busy but they seemed to have a bit of an attitude. We were also surprised at how down market it was.

We found Alderney much more welcoming and efficient. Sark was also great but a little weird. Stunning mooring and scenery but both pubs were also full of hen and stag party type people on a mission to take advantage of the cheaper drinks. Apparently it is normal for people from Jersey to catch the ferry over, camp and drink as much as possible.

Not adverse to that, I have done my share, but it seemed so out of place.

Seven Spades

Visit site
We checked out of Roscoff, being a UK passport holder I turned up and was turned away as my wife was not with me, I told then she holds an Irish passport. I was told that she still had to attend even though they didn't stamp her passport because she was leaving the EU.

I was made to fill out a form that said "this form os only for checking out if you checked in using the derogation form" we didn't we checked in at a port of entry Cherbourg. They were quite funny about it when I said that this is the wrong form and showed them the bit written in French which said precisely that.

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
I was there weeks ago over the August bank holiday weekend. Victoria was pretty much full and rafted 3 deep outside. End of summer rush maybe. They were busy but they seemed to have a bit of an attitude. We were also surprised at how down market it was.

We found Alderney much more welcoming and efficient. Sark was also great but a little weird. Stunning mooring and scenery but both pubs were also full of hen and stag party type people on a mission to take advantage of the cheaper drinks. Apparently it is normal for people from Jersey to catch the ferry over, camp and drink as much as possible.

Not adverse to that, I have done my share, but it seemed so out of place.
Over that same long weekend there was well under 50% occupancy on the finger berths inside the cill. Probably more like one third. Whilst outside, as you say, it was rafted solid. Hence, I suppose, Daydream’s original question: about why the inside has ‘gone quiet.’

Last edited:

ithet

Visit site
In your practical experience they are quite happy with a paper PAF produced on the day? With no Preavis form sent in advance?

This is important because, boats being what they are, it is much easier and less hassle, not to try and nail your exact time of entry and port in advance.

At Cherbourg the PAF guys who turned up at the Marina had no idea or care if any forms had been sent. I handed a copy of what I had emailed, it just went on a pile without being looked at.
We arrived in the evening and left the next day so only saw PAF on morning of departure. I did it by the book and got them them to stamp in and out at the same time. Again, they just stamped the blank page and did not look at anything else in passport.
I don't think it's a good idea going to CI with an open France entry stamp as if for some reason you cannot return there for exit you are stymied.
I was there weeks ago over the August bank holiday weekend. Victoria was pretty much full and rafted 3 deep outside.
The week before late August BH Victoria Marina was half empty. It filled up towards the weekend.

doug748

Visit site
Good information on the printed form technique. Though places like Roscoff have less of a churn so may be more picky if you get someone with the grumps.

However it is good to know you could possibly have 3 printed forms up your sleeve for places like the Western Channel where the same trip may have three outcomes eg Target A - Brest, Target B- L'Aberwrach, Target C Roscoff - depending on weather and how it goes.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Good information on the printed form technique. Though places like Roscoff have less of a churn so may be more picky if you get someone with the grumps.

However it is good to know you could possibly have 3 printed forms up your sleeve for places like the Western Channel where the same trip may have three outcomes eg Target A - Brest, Target B- L'Aberwrach, Target C Roscoff - depending on weather and how it goes.

All of the Marinas I've been to have been happy to print the forms when needed

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
The PAF don't have access to the computer when they come to the office, which is why they need a copy of the form.
I didn't have a hard copy of the PAF. When I arrived I just turned up at their desk with my passport. They asked me for proof that I had emailed it, but I didn't have my phone with me, so they just took my word.
On leaving, they had a hard copy of the exit PAF that i had emailed them.