ST 60 sun covers needed

Rafiki

Visit site
This is often a problem I know that from time to time people get them made up specially. If I knew of a plastic moulding company that could do it to the required precision I'm sure I could sell 500 worldwide. Plastic cant be more than 50p a shot, but the cost of making a mould /tool would presumbly be prohibitive.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
This is often a problem I know that from time to time people get them made up specially. If I knew of a plastic moulding company that could do it to the required precision I'm sure I could sell 500 worldwide. Plastic cant be more than 50p a shot, but the cost of making a mould /tool would presumbly be prohibitive.

You wouldn't make them using a mould but just 3D print them. As cheap as chips if you have, or know someone with, a printer. :)

Richard

lpdsn

Visit site
Do you have the dimensions?

I've an old Autohelm one that's surplus to requirements. It fits a NASA display, which looks to be in keeping with Angus McDoon's post.

Rafiki

Visit site
Wont the current ones indicate what plastic they are made from, I thought that was some sort of re-cycling requirement.

If you do make a batch let me know.

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
That is what I am investigating at present. The key is to find a plastic that is UV / weather resistant :)

I have a 3D printer and have printed various bits for the boat. No filament is currently considered as UV resistant. I have made speaker covers for the cockpit speakers out of white polycarbonate. If they last a couple of years and then start to degrade I can always print some more.
I have Raymarine ST60 instruments and covers. So I could try making a cover. Yes cheap as chips to print, but only after spending a considerable amount of time playing with the 3D software and then making a series of covers to get the perfect fit - it won't be right first time! So in terms of time, quite costly.

If someone has the computer file with dimension that would help. Specifically what is the radius of curvature of the lower edge of the display???

Once modelled then very easy to print in various colours and even to emboss boat name into the cover to stop is being "borrowed"
Shall I try??????

TudorSailor - currently sitting in a heatwave in the Aegean (July 2017)

Rafiki

Visit site
You should certainly try - I would if I had the equipment. They seem to sell on ebay for £20 to £25 and with a bit of marketing I'm sure you could get independent chandlers to buy a few for £10. You could do generic grey for £18 or with boat name for £22, surely you would sell 50, but as you say they have to be accurate - a tight sliding fit.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I have a 3D printer and have printed various bits for the boat. No filament is currently considered as UV resistant. I have made speaker covers for the cockpit speakers out of white polycarbonate. If they last a couple of years and then start to degrade I can always print some more.
I have Raymarine ST60 instruments and covers. So I could try making a cover. Yes cheap as chips to print, but only after spending a considerable amount of time playing with the 3D software and then making a series of covers to get the perfect fit - it won't be right first time! So in terms of time, quite costly.

If someone has the computer file with dimension that would help. Specifically what is the radius of curvature of the lower edge of the display???

Once modelled then very easy to print in various colours and even to emboss boat name into the cover to stop is being "borrowed"
Shall I try??????

TudorSailor - currently sitting in a heatwave in the Aegean (July 2017)

Is this not the file for the ST60?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2413814/#files

Richard

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
Is this not the file for the ST60?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2413814/#files

Richard
There was I modelling away and someone's done it already. It looks like it would do the job. If I was making from scratch I might round off all the edges but that's me being picky

So I am sitting in 40degs in the Aegean while my printer is at home (SWMBO has banned the concept of the little backpack sized Ultimaker for the boat). So will have to wait 10 days to print out this model and see how it fits a display (I have an old one to take home)

Software says 13 hours to print at best quality. 13m is about £3 of PLA filament. More for polycarbonate

I will feed back in a couple of weeks

Tudorsailor

PS You can opt to get the stl file printed commercially. An online quote gives the cost as £49 for black nylon

Last edited:

jdc

Visit site
... PLA filament. More for polycarbonate...

Can you do ABS? As I understand it PLA, while the easiest to print, and making a nice finish, is brittle so scores low on toughness. ABS is better in this regard and the poorer finish can be ameliorated by treatmet with Acetone.