SSB

richard2626

Visit site
I know this is old hat......but,is it best to have 2 HF radio ie one for ham and one the marine bands to be within and above the regs ..........heyho

Benbow

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I know this is old hat......but,is it best to have 2 HF radio ie one for ham and one the marine bands to be within and above the regs ..........heyho

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the rules, with no comment on what is ‘best’:

If you hold a long range certificate (LRC) you may use a type approved set for transmitting in the marine HF bands.

If you hold a full amateur licence you may use any set for transmitting on the amateur band. Absolutely any set, including one you built yourself, but it is your responsibility to ensure that your transmissions stay within the amateur bands and are otherwise legal.

Thus strictly speaking you need an LRC and a marine type-approved set to use marine HF, if that also works on the amateur frequencies and you have an amateur licence then you can use it for both.

The problem is that most marine sets are not ideal for amateur-type operations, and amateur sets are more flexible (and complex), so most people do it the other way round, ie use a modified amateur set for both. You will see that this breaks some of the rules some of the time depending on your licence(s) and the frequencies used.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But there is only one possible reason for installing a HAM radio - because you are a ham and enjoy your hobby.... If you are not a HAM no other ham will talk to you - except in an emergency when they will do everything possible to help.

A modern SSB is perfectly capable of transmitting on Ham frequencies. It requires a 'snip' which for modern sets is simply an electronic code....

Michael

Visit site
Well,

I am told by my returning world girdling neighbour that most SSB members of the Trans-Am & Trans-Pac Nets don't bother to get themselves a Ham licence. Out there they're hardly likely to cause anyone any harm are they?

Steve Cronin

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Re: Well,

The way it works in the Pacific is that new nets spring up all the time - mainly on the marine frequencies... People get together in Panama Canal area and agree to keep in touch and it sort of grows... Same thing happens in the Galapagos - everybody is setting out within a few weeks of each other on a 3500 mile voyage and so a net is created to log into and keep in touch,, The French, Germans and Hams frequently create their own nets in their own languages...

The only really permanent net and it is more of a weather (Herb) type station was Russel Radio out of the Bay of Islands NZ... the resident Ham nets in the area probably attract only hams that are passing through.

similarly The Red Sea Net springs up each season as the boats leave OMAN of similar and then dies as the last ones funnel out into the med...

Michael

trouville

N/A
Visit site

Where do you want to use your SSB?

As the other posts dident mention the med.But gave very good advise ill just add you will have to set up your own net or scheduals.If your still in the hot cabin at 10.00am or 20.00 local time instead of in town there is a net.On 14303

There are some legal calls!As the season goes on the net time becomes 11.00am in august!you will hear the many with made up calls that have been calling in for years(some at least 10 or more)i always wonder as i sit over heating below how anyone can do it!There inflexable for propergation and heat!

Just make up a call i could suggest some if you like and call in!Pot luck if they rumbel you,but there very cliquy just listen once or twice.Not to good reception just now and forcast to get worse.

For the best value rigs and a discription amature and marine try hear:

http://www.thiecom.de/shop1/index.html Yasue is the best valus just now.

Damm!it gets to the home page.Click "funkgerate" Then either "amaturefunk" or "seefunk"--for marine, then all the suppliers icom kenwood etc are listed then just click price and details given.

richard2626

Visit site

Many many thanks for your response to my question,and after deep throught, I shall play it safe be within the law and have two sets ie one ham set and one type approved for the marine bands also two sets better than one just in case ....once again many thanks and kind regards

William_H

Visit site

The other advantage is that it is highly unlikely any other crew member could use the ham set effectively if you are incapacitated where as hopefully the marine set can be left tuned to deistress channel and so turned on and used by any crew. good luck olewill

sr04

Visit site

Just wondered why you feel it is ok to go and become a radio pirate? Just because others are doing it? Hey why not smuggle as well after all others are doing it?
Why dont you take the time and pass the amateur radio license, after all theyve made it easier and easier over the years, you dont even need to learn morse code now.