SSB Question

ccscott49

Visit site
Somebody metioned a dipole doesnt need an earth plate on the set, would a triatic stay on a ketch do for that purpose and could that be tuned with an ATU, or do I need to have it exactly the right length? Taking into consideration I would only be using marine frequencies.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
other antennas

we have an unstayed rig so use a whip antenna (7.5m long, quite a beastie)

if you contact Icom they will sent you a leaflet on earthing. the essential is to have a strip connecting the ATU and ground plate. the sintered bronze plate is ideal if you don't have a metal hull. professionals use 4-5" wide strip. i get by with 2".

my tx power is adequate but not as good as some, don't know if it is the whip, narrow strip or something else entirely.

<hr width=100% size=1>

davidbains

Visit site
Re: other antennas

Snowleopard, interested you're using the motor boat solution of a 23ft whip. You used to see them advertised, where did you get yours?
Roberto suggests you can do the same with a fishing rod. I wonder what the max length
of fishing rod is, I will have to go and ask!
Sintered plates are an expensive ground and how do you keep it free of fouling, I know you're
not supposed to use antifouling.
And finally what transceiver are you using. I've been tempted by an Icom 706.
It occurs to me that on a multi it's very easy to raise an inverted dipole from float end
cleats to the masthead. Although that would leave a long run of coax back down the mast,
to confuse the ATU.

<hr width=100% size=1>