Squadron 58 in winter

jj42

Visit site
Dear Experts,

I'm new to this forum (and motor boating in general). I've done a bit of sailing but I'm considering purchasing a Squadron 58 (2004 model) for use as a pied-à-terre (and for fun on the water!). I'm going with a motor boat since, compared with a sailing yacht, you get a lot more space for the size of the vessel.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts an experiences in any of the following:

- What is Squadron 58 like to stay on, especially in winter (it will spend its time in a marina with power)? It has "reverse mode air-con" is that likely to be sufficient to heat the boat in a UK winter? I'm also obviously open to upgrading heading if needed so pointers there are welcome.

- It looks like going about 9 knots if she's in good condition it might be around 3.1Ls diesel / nm going up steeply at higher speeds. Is that about right?

- What kinda of price would people suggest for something like this is fair condition (I don't think its had a lot of attention over its life, OTOH its been in fresh water most the time and had little use, only 350 engine hours). How much is it likely to devalue over time if I maintain it well?

- I've read that planing boats such as this maybe don't settle as well at anchor compared with a hull-speed boat? How bad is the sea keeping if you want to spend a night or two in an anchorage?

Any other thoughts or experiences welcome.

Thanks,
jj