Spring Start Outboard - Genius?

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Honda made a mo-ped with this feature in the early 70's.

I wound up a lot of oldtimers by loading the spring and removing the winding lever. Then I asked them to start it.

They all failed. No obvious kick or pedal start.

All that was required was to pull the handlebar mounted rear brake lever.

Then :- brmmmmmm................

Halo

Visit site
I recall engines with wind up spring starts and the name of them starters will come to me at about 3 a m. !
There were diesel engines which started with an explosive cartridge and some where you charged up an air cylinder with a small electric compressor.

Boathook

Visit site
I recall engines with wind up spring starts and the name of them starters will come to me at about 3 a m. !
There were diesel engines which started with an explosive cartridge and some where you charged up an air cylinder with a small electric compressor.
Around 50 years ago my parents looked at buying a 50 foot plus MFV. The 6 cylinder diesel engine was started by compressed air stored in a cylinder. The cylinder was recharged by the engine itself.
My parents were advised by a friend not to buy it as the timbers were 'soft'. A few months later it sunk at its mooring. Great relief felt by my parents that they didn't purchase.

William_H

Visit site
Funny some years back lawn mowers had a wind up starter. Seemed to work OK a bit tedious if engine didn't start first time. They seem to have gone back to recoil start cord. I wonder why. A powerful wind up would seem good for a diesel boat engine. ol'will

Stemar

Visit site
Also the petrol engines fitted to the Chipmunks I did air experience flying in as an air cadet.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Last edited: