Spot GPS Trackers

tarik

Visit site
Would appreciate any views on these devices, does anybody have one/used one I am thinking of getting one for Jester, are they worth the money, do they do what it says on the box?

As always many thanks for all replies,

David

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
I have used one for about 3 years now. Work both afloat ( fully weatherproof ) and in sailplane cockpit.

Work a treat.
The newer versions allow transmitting custom text messages.

great for friends and family to track where you are.
Nice as a log of the sailing

Never had to use the 911 function but I believe that the system has bailed out a few hikers and other unfortunate wanderers.

I have a 1st generation one for sale if anyone is interested, only because I am upgrading to a 2nd generation model.

tarik

Visit site
spot

I have used one for about 3 years now. Work both afloat ( fully weatherproof ) and in sailplane cockpit.

Work a treat.
The newer versions allow transmitting custom text messages.

great for friends and family to track where you are.
Nice as a log of the sailing

Never had to use the 911 function but I believe that the system has bailed out a few hikers and other unfortunate wanderers.

I have a 1st generation one for sale if anyone is interested, only because I am upgrading to a 2nd generation model.

PM sent.

D

Sanderling_

Visit site
My son is using one as he cycles around the world. He hits the 'OK' button daily which emails his position and also places a position on his website capersofcapers.co.uk.

His daily checking in is of real interest to us and also provides reassurance for Mum. As Nimbus says, there are four buttons, 1 to 3 being programmable to send email or text messages to sepected recipients. the messages for buttons 2 & 3 can also be programmed.

There are a number of options for him;
1) he can just check in 'I'm OK'
2) 'Dad can you ring me when you have a moment'
3) 'Dad I need some help now'
4) 911 - sends distress call to an 'International Rescue Centre' who then only contacts us once the situction has been resolved

Chris left Aberdeen in February and spent Christmas in Jakarta and so far has not had to use the options 3 or 4 at all!

Yes they certainly do what they say on the box.

Tony

oldvarnish

Visit site
used one all the way down the Atlantic. No problems. Keeps the folks back home reassured and happy.
However,you must explain to them that these things can go wrong and no message does not necessarily mean doom.

frauboot

Visit site
What are the running costs or is it all in the price?

It costs Euros99 a year to run on top of the purchase price.

They are great but for sailing you do not get world coverage. I crossed the Pacific using one to report my position and disappeared off everybodies emails for two months despite sending a daily message [I kept sending because I wasn't sure where I would re-appear]. I haven't looked at the world coverage chart for some time but there are probably major areas of the Atlantic that aren't cvoered as well.