Sport Relief Volvo65 challenge

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Alex getting it wrong, but never mind.

Yes, I noticed it on Monday night when Alex said they were keeled and later that they were keeling. I assumed that someone would have pointed it out to her by now but tonight other people were using the word.

To be honest Alex triggered it asking someone how they felt when the boat keeled over suddenly . The correct use of that phrase got a comment back about "when the boat keels to this angle".

I guess that worrying about surviving the night trumps learning context for nautical terms. :D

Gwylan

Visit site
Sitting on the Channel coast with the wind ripping at the tiles and threatening the garden shed roof, think the decision to park was a smart one.
I would have gone to Falmouth, looked like that was the plan for a while.

Altogether daft idea at this time of year with a novice crew and the way the weather is.
Were the celebs really able to give informed consent on their decision to participate?

But that's sailing for you.

Tam Lin

Visit site
Been following them on TV and their tracker. Saw them heading for Plymouth last night and that they are there this morning. Checked the shipping forecast, gale eight to storm ten. Think they made the right decision!

A1Sailor

Visit site
Arguably a bit of a failure of their weather routing strategy. Before they left the wind in the channel was known, and the northern route looked less stormy. And might have sounded more of a challenge
I read somewhere that they were anticipating big waves in the Pentland Firth, or around the Orkney Isles, bigger than the skipper had ever experienced anywhere else in the world!
The original route for the event was set to take the 65ft racing yacht from Belfast, north around Scotland and on to London, however a storm system forced the crew to change plans.

A statement from BT’s Sport Relief Challenge said: “The decision was made late Sunday night that the original plan of sailing north was not an option as the boat would encounter 10 metre high waves around the Orkney Isles. Not even challenge skipper Ian Walker, the first British skipper to win the Volvo Ocean Race, has ever faced waves of such height.”

Walker said the route change didn’t necessarily guarantee an easier time for the novice crew, saying the boat needed to round the Cornish peninsula before Tuesday night to avoid the worst of a separate Gale Force storm that’s predicted to hit the UK’s southern shores this week.
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachti...-of-bt-sport-relief-17716#Hd4QT5y7CzwZOfMH.99

markhomer

Visit site
Yes, I noticed it on Monday night when Alex said they were keeled and later that they were keeling. I assumed that someone would have pointed it out to her by now but tonight other people were using the word.

To be honest Alex triggered it asking someone how they felt when the boat keeled over suddenly . The correct use of that phrase got a comment back about "when the boat keels to this angle".

I guess that worrying about surviving the night trumps learning context for nautical terms. :D

Tis on website too , wonder who the marine consultant is , bob fisher taking the pish ??? ,

Keen_Ed

Visit site
I imagine they (the celebrities) would have been sent on a competent crew type course beforehand?

If you look at the twitter/instagram feeds of participants (sailors and celebs), it looks like they did about 1 day sailing and a sea survival course. So not really worried about teaching them to sail, but more concerned about health and safety/risk planning.

A1Sailor

Visit site
I imagine they (the celebrities) would have been sent on a competent crew type course beforehand?
Perhaps not:
BBC One show sailing boat stops in Plymouth amid stormy weather and coastguard warning
By Plymouth Herald | Posted: March 09, 2016
A YACHT containing six celebrities attempting to sail around the UK in five days has stopped in Plymouth amid stormy weather. On board are Alex Jones, Hal Cruttenden, Ore Oduba, Angellica Bell, Doon Mackichan and Suzi Perry. On Wednesday morning the boat was moored at the Plymouth marina in Mount Batten.

Skipper Ian Walker told The Herald: "This wasn't quite what we had planned - normally I am arriving here at the end of the Fastnet race. That's a similar feeling to how I feel right now.
" We've got severe gale force winds but hopefully that will ease off by midnight. We have got to be in London by Friday evening to complete the challenge.
"The celebrities are good, a couple of them were sick yesterday but they stuck at it and they're quite grateful for being tied up at the dock today."

Doon MacKichan, star of Smack The Pony, said: "We had a horrendous night last night. Absolutely freezing driving rain, the boat at an angle, lashed on, rain in my face for four hours, absolutely frozen to the bone. We all lay in bed and none of us could get warm.
"At least we were in the harbour. I am a little bit worried about tonight. It's going to be hard, but we're getting there. We only have two more days."

Read more: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/BBC...tory-28889119-detail/story.html#ixzz42QIexaEY
Was she expecting the boat to be kept upright, not to be hooked-on and for it to be warm and dry in March?
Anyway - lots of publicity and talking points. I wish them luck when their voyage resumes.

Last edited:

MissFitz

Visit site
I commented to my other half that two words seemed to feature heavily in the celebs' video update: deteriorating & debilitating. He said that pretty much summed up sailing as far as he's concerned.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
I see that they are off again. I saw a clip on the One Show and think that they said something about how bad things would still be out in the channel and that tonight would be pretty bad. The reason given was that the sea would remain very rough after the wind died and it would take quite a long time for the waves to die down.

I thought that was a bit odd as it was very windy off the land all day (at least that's what I thought). Surely that makes it pretty calm close to the shore as there won't actually be any swell. Some of the best sails I've had have been in strong wind off the land. They obviously won't hug the coast but I wouldn't have thought it would have been too bad soon after the wind drops.

Last edited:

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Odd, not only are they not hugging the coast, they are heading off-shore and in the wrong direction. I'd expected them to head around 120 deg. but they have been on 220 deg. for ages and are more than 10nm from shore. I thought that wind was meant to be from due N just now. I wonder if the detour is just to round something they can film to make a more interesting video.

Perhaps it will make sense in the morning, must look at a chart of the area tomorrow. Could be safest route if there are fishing boats and buoys around and they just keep to route large vessels use until well off-shore.

Last edited:

SteveSarabande

Visit site
Looks like they rounded eddystone rock. Not sure that makes great video in the dark.

Winds sre forecast to drop, maybe they are just getting further offshore