Spinlock Deckvests - bargain

mm42

Visit site
Back up.

I've already got a Crewsaver Ergofit Offshore 190 but a 275 looks a useful thing to have, I'll pass the Crewsaver onto my girlfriend who is very slightly built whereas I'm a big guy so the 275 is a better bet.

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
Back up.

I've already got a Crewsaver Ergofit Offshore 190 but a 275 looks a useful thing to have, I'll pass the Crewsaver onto my girlfriend who is very slightly built whereas I'm a big guy so the 275 is a better bet.

I know that's the accepted logic but I've never understood why? Most big blokes are like - too much fat - so we actually float better.

Paddingtonbear

Visit site
I hope so too, but what are you saying exactly?
Some on this thread are referring to 275N jacket which are made for those working off shore in extreme conditions, wearing drysuits and/heavy wet weather gear. 275N jackets make entry into a rescue helicopter difficult and even more difficult to get a MOB back on board. In any case they are no better in 'normal' use than a 150n. Anything else is a marketing con, boys and their toys etc.

mm42

Visit site
Some on this thread are referring to 275N jacket which are made for those working off shore in extreme conditions, wearing drysuits and/heavy wet weather gear. 275N jackets make entry into a rescue helicopter difficult and even more difficult to get a MOB back on board. In any case they are no better in 'normal' use than a 150n. Anything else is a marketing con, boys and their toys etc.

I'm sometimes working in a drysuit, and am likely to have lots of PPE on in a new project. Unless you were really on the edge of consciousness then letting the bladder down with the oral inflation tube, or even a knife, at the point you were about to be winched wouldn't be impossible.

Nico

Visit site
Some on this thread are referring to 275N jacket which are made for those working off shore in extreme conditions, wearing drysuits and/heavy wet weather gear. 275N jackets make entry into a rescue helicopter difficult and even more difficult to get a MOB back on board. In any case they are no better in 'normal' use than a 150n.

While I don't really agree with your remark about boys toys (that is more likely to apply to safety knives and 200 lumen head torches - boys seem to begrudge paying £200 for something as unglamorous as a lifejacket) I think these lifejackets are being sold off cheaply partly because they are overkill for most users and might be a bit difficult to pack. A re-arming kit costs £50 too. Don't we all wear heavy wet weather gear at least some of the time?

Nico

Visit site
On the basis that if everything goes to plan I'll need one every 5 years, £10 a year, or 20p a week, seems good value.

If I need to replace it because it's been used and fired then £50 seems extraordinarily good value.

Presumably hammar mechanism are much less likely to inadvertantly fire than the paper pill type?

Hopefully the life jacket will last quite a few years too, so the annual cost is small even at full price. Of course we don't always think like that at the time of purchase.

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
I have spent a fair few quid rearming ordinary salt tablet lifejackets, mostly due to chucking in dinghy bilgewater etc, so a Hammar type should work out cheaper..

I also think it's a load of nonsense about 275n LJ's causing rescue difficulties, if that's true why do so many rig workers etc etc wear them?
I have personally only done a hi-line exercise, but a quick perusal of the numerous videos on y-tube, MCA, etc shows that the way you are pulled sideways in to the door of the helicopter wouldn't be hindered by a 275.

I can see a 275 might make climbing up your stern ladder harder, but if you were fit enough to climb out, you hopefully could squeeze the tit to let some air out?

Also, being held high out of the water by a big bladder seems a big advantage for being able to breathe without water slopping down your throat.

Yes I do wear heavy waterproofs and I always have a knife and a radio or PLB and other stuff in my pockets.

Last edited:

mm42

Visit site
Mine arrived today, feels very well built, not really any bigger than the Crewsaver, despite being a 275 instead of 190. Got it adjusted and it feels very comfy.

Will give it a try out on my next trip.

Laundryman

Live in Hemel Hempstead, Boat is in Haslar.
Visit site
Spinlock Deckvests-bargain

In case anyone is interested, Spinlock are flogging off some old stock of DeckVests for £100, which seems a bit of a bargain to me and doesn't look like a scam. See eBay item 171492245170 if you want one.

BTW: I've no connection with Spinlock aside from I've just bought a couple of the above.

You may not have any connection, but they definately owe you some commission. I doubt they would have sold so many, so quickly without your post. I'll message you next time i have something to sell! Thanks Alan

snowleopard

Visit site
I bought 2. Slightly p'd off as they said it would only cost me one lot of postage but they charged me twice.

The 275 is distinctly heavier than a conventional 150. Note to any other would-be purchasers: these are size 2 so not suitable for little people or very bulky either. The jacket includes an integral spray hood which would be good to have if you fall into a rough sea. They also have a flashing light and of course a whistle.

I remember reading a test some years back where they found that a 150n jacket wouldn't always flip an unconscious person over but a 275 would do it every time.