Spear guns and diving

Visit site
Scuba in Ria Formosa is banned without license from PM who won't issue to recreational divers. Up to €1k fine and confiscation of gear if caught.

I dived in the Ria in 1982 but I was covered because I was teaching the Algarve's first bombeiros mergulhadores. There were neither police nor firemen qualified in those days.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I dived in the Ria in 1982 but I was covered because I was teaching the Algarve's first bombeiros mergulhadores. There were neither police nor firemen qualified in those days.

We have a stupid situation in that they won't allow us to check our own moorings unless commercially qualified so just have to do it when PM not around which is a bit difficult for me as my mooring is next to theirs.

OldBawley

Visit site
In Mandraki Rhodos some guy had the monopoly on diving in the port. Theoretical it was to prevent thieves of taking artefacts from the bottom, in reality it was a good business. Every day some yachts had their anchor chain stuck to something on the bottom. So this diver was called and he cleared the anchors at a high price. What he also did was fouling some other anchors so he had a good job the next day.

I was on the floating pontoon, ( long gone now ) and my dinghy came untied, I had to dive in and get it. Whilst I was in the dirty water I had a look at my anchor. It was fould. My chain had two tight turns around the ribs of some iron wreck, the ribs just sticking a foot out of the bottom.
While untangling them I noticed an other anchor chain wrapped the same way. Untangled also.
I was lucky no one noticed me in the water.
It was simply impossible to have tangled my chain like that, I more bows-to, go in one strait line to the berth. I often use a stern anchor.
I was in some other places where the same happened, always cleared the anchor myself while the diver was looking and waiting for me to call for help.

Tony Cross

Visit site
I believe (though I have no evidence) that it is illegal in Greece for anyone to dive (with or without tanks) in a port or harbour unless specifically authorised (presumably by the PP).

OldBawley

Visit site
I believe (though I have no evidence) that it is illegal in Greece for anyone to dive (with or without tanks) in a port or harbour unless specifically authorised (presumably by the PP).

Yes, could well be. A very profitable opportunity for some. Just half an hour ago I read in a Dutch blog that the diver in Monemvasia has daily work untangling anchors. . Knowing Monemvasia very well I am not surprised.
I have helped people out who ware in trouble anchoring of the N outer wall of the harbour.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Yes, could well be. A very profitable opportunity for some. Just half an hour ago I read in a Dutch blog that the diver in Monemvasia has daily work untangling anchors. . Knowing Monemvasia very well I am not surprised.
I have helped people out who ware in trouble anchoring of the N outer wall of the harbour.

To be fair I think it's more of a safety issue than ensuring that Sprios has lots of work. With boats moving in and out at random intervals an inexperienced diver could get into some trouble...

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I think there more change of getting a mouth full of someone pump out when diving in a marina or port then getting run over while your tighted up to a pontoon / harbour wall , especially if you med moored .

sailaboutvic

Visit site

Me too and he wasn't very pleased , but hey who cares .

OldBawley

Visit site
An example of Mediterranean law keeping.
I was anchored near a small island. A professional octopus fisher was taking some stuff from the bottom with a long poled tool, I rowed over to learn.
He explained he was collecting urchins for a special orthodox ritual, one day a year everybody has to eat some urchins to get to heaven. He sold the urchins for 50 euro cents a piece in the village.
All the time talking to he me he was scanning the sea around us, acting weird, and he told me collecting urchins is forbidden by law. Something to do with preservation. I did not really believe him, urchins are everywhere. He was probably afraid I would sell some too.
He said while scanning the sea that the coast guard ware heavy on it, they could even confiscate the boat. Interesting.
Two hours later I saw the coast guard rib approaching the little island. Prepared myself mentally for “ PAPERS “
Not the case at all, they came to collect urchins.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
An example of Mediterranean law keeping.
I was anchored near a small island. A professional octopus fisher was taking some stuff from the bottom with a long poled tool, I rowed over to learn.
He explained he was collecting urchins for a special orthodox ritual, one day a year everybody has to eat some urchins to get to heaven. He sold the urchins for 50 euro cents a piece in the village.
All the time talking to he me he was scanning the sea around us, acting weird, and he told me collecting urchins is forbidden by law. Something to do with preservation. I did not really believe him, urchins are everywhere. He was probably afraid I would sell some too.
He said while scanning the sea that the coast guard ware heavy on it, they could even confiscate the boat. Interesting.
Two hours later I saw the coast guard rib approaching the little island. Prepared myself mentally for “ PAPERS “
Not the case at all, they came to collect urchins.
Then asked you for your papers , or was there a football game about to start :)

OldBawley

Visit site
Good one.
Come to think of it, I have never been asked to show my papers while on the water. That is in Greece. Turkey was way different. Often twice a week. Italy the same. Really harassed. France only in harbours.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Well as I sure you know , we spend most of this season in Italy, France and now in Sardinia, and only once have we been asked to report to the CG office , and that was in the harbour of Sanreno ,
only to arrived in the office and be asked for my telephone number and being told I can stay free of charge for 48 hours and if I want to stay long to go back and let them know ,
I did pass over my papers and the guy said he didn't need them just a phone number in case we need to get hold of you .
Just goes to show how people can have very different experiences of the same countries.
Last time we did this trip was in 2013 and we had the same experience then.
We enjoyed it so much we plain to do the same trip next season ,

Last edited: