spanish rias

Spuddy

Visit site
Not explored in depth but I liked Camarinas very much. A bit rough and ready and quirky. Small marina charges 12 E but happily took the 10 nite I had.
Thought Bayonna was overpriced and overrated.
Anchored overnight in Muros but no real info after short stop.
Limited advice but a start

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
No brainer it has to be the Ria de Arousa

You could easily spend a year there gunkholing around the many anchorages. A special mention goes to the Illa de Arousa with its clear waters and sandy bays. The shell fish is plentiful and easily gathered at low water. We never did find out if we could get a permit. I suspect that it is locals only.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
+1 Ria de Arousa. You can anchor off Pobra de Caraminal and wander up the beach to supermarket (getting beer, wine & water from smaller one in town is actually easier when you know the trick????). If wind is on-shore then hop across to Escarabote. I always managed free Wifi in both places if you have a decent booster and need to get online. Rianxo is round the corner and is a great place to stop. You can anchor off the town and take dinghy to a small partly drying harbor. Great if tides are at right times. Anchor at beach and walk over to the town from the beach (there are public toilets and rubbish skips there, so no problems for longer stops).

Plenty of other places to visit as well and only short hops to the adjacent Rias where there are other very good anchorages.

balder

Visit site
Hello,

With a special mention +++ for Varadoiro do Xufre on Isla de Arousa. Just close from the georgous fishing village. We just finish our refit, full painting work on a 57' trawler, hull and topsides. Friendly, fair and professional. Familiar with Med, we discovered these rias... Something between south britanny and Corsica with a true atmosphere and correct prices. Worth a visit!

Ludd

Visit site
No brainer it has to be the Ria de Arousa

You could easily spend a year there gunkholing around the many anchorages. A special mention goes to the Illa de Arousa with its clear waters and sandy bays. The shell fish is plentiful and easily gathered at low water. We never did find out if we could get a permit. I suspect that it is locals only.
+1 for Ria Dr Arosa.
But spend a fewndays anchored off the beach at Finisterre itself.
Muros is a pleasant anchorage too. All depends how long uou've got---the possibilities are endless.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
Thanks again for your help. You mention a permit, where and when might i obtain said item.

I presume you are talking about a shellfish collecting permit. I said this very tongue in cheek.

Unless things have changed there is no way a visitor can ever get a permit. But and this is entirely hypothetical a snorkeler working with a rake might pickup the odd clam which they could pocket.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
A little advice please. somewhere around finistere to hide away for summer high season, am partially self sufficient.thanks

Google "jimbsail rias". That'll take you to a page which describes most of the options, the must sees, the avoids, layup spots, and gives links where possible to relevant web sites.

It's a great cruising ground . . . I spent three seasons there, postponing a few seasons in the med. Well worth it. Quite windy at times south of Finisterre (luckily, flat water!) when the summer Portuguese trades are blowing.

balder

Visit site
Hello,

With a special mention +++ for Varadoiro do Xufre on Isla de Arousa. Just close from the georgous fishing village. We just finish our refit, full painting work on a 57' trawler, hull and topsides. Friendly, fair and professional. Familiar with Med, we discovered these rias... Something between south britanny and Corsica with a true atmosphere and correct prices. Worth a visit!

Apologizes! I would like to moderate my enthusiasm.... The final cut was not so good, we have been in fact obliged to paint the boat twice...workers try to do their best but the owner of this small boatyard does not take care of his customers...
Anyway, this pretty poor experience has not compromize our pleasure to discover these rias.

nb: beware of a crew living aboard their irish sailing yacht , an old oyster, they are doing some commercial PR for this boatyard

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Thanks again for your help. You mention a permit, where and when might i obtain said item.

there is a cruising/anchoring permit if you want to visit the Islands, namely Cies, Ons, etc.

You must ask a yearly permit beforehand (it can be made online), once you have that, when you have decided about the dates you must log in again and declare you will visit during such and such days.
All details here:
http://www.iatlanticas.es/html/index96e7.html