Spain bans sailboats due to orc attacks

greeny

Visit site
FG - I refer you to your reply to "Yawn yawn"

"Discuss the point or do not post , seems like a reasonable view of the debating world"

Your latest post - "Are you having a dig or not , make it clear and front up . Your merry dancing is as usual you way of showing your true nature.
Personally with aspergers we are known for our direct approach to situations , some people do not like it , they like there little cloak and dagger games of playground mentality I prefer head on approach it makes life so much better to live in. "

My reply to you - Take a look in the mirror! "Discuss the point or do not post , seems like a reasonable view of the debating world."

cherod

Visit site
I know there are some who consider pedantics , spelling and personal insults more important than the behavour of the orcas but for those who are more adult the latest report from the spanish marine scientists state that there is no deliberate attempt to harm humans , worth a read rather than a personal rant on here

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
The forbidden area has been widened to the SW, now as far as Cape Finisterre

FINISTERRE.- GALICIA W COAST MARITIME AUTHORITIES ESTABLISHED NAVIGATION PROHIBITED FOR SAILING VESSELS LENGHT 15 METERS OR LESS, INSIDE 12NM FROM THE COAST BETWEEN ESTACA DE BARES AND CABO FINISTERRE, EXLUDED AREA BOUNDED BY COAST LINE AND: 43-49.5N 007-41.0W 43-48.0N 007-58.2W 43-32.2N 008-26.5W 43-24.0N 008-50.7W 43-11.2N 009-16.0W 43-03.2N 009-21.7W 42-52.7N 009-20.0W EXCEPT TRACKS PERPENDICULAR TO THE COAST FOR ENTERING/LEAVING

GHA

Visit site
Poor wee things feeling threaten by our boats .... wonder how they came to that conclusion...

Scientists think they know why orcas are ramming boats off Spanish coast

Initially stumped by the bizarre behaviour, a group of scientists now claim the attacks appear to have been carried out by two or three younger whales who likely felt threatened by the larger vessels.
Alfredo López, a biology professor at the Coordinator for the Study of Marine Mammals, said the animals were taking "precautionary" steps to protect themselves.
"It's not revenge. They're just acting out as a precautionary measure," he told Spanish newspaper El Pais, adding the attacks did not appear meditated

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
Although we should really be letting this thread die a natural death, I have to keep cominc back to it like a dog returning to its own sick. Or a young Orca returning to a rudder.
El Pais has just published an interesting article in English.
Why killer whales are targeting boats in northwestern Spain

I'm hoping that the statistic quoted at the end is wrong though. ''according to the data, there have been 29 whale sightings – 55% from yachts and of these, only 20% reported any damage or trouble.'' I imagine that reflects the low proportion of yachts bothering to report Orca sightings rather than one in five yachts in that area being damaged or 'troubled' by Orcas in that area. Well, I hope so.

cherod

Visit site

differentroads

So why do some people still refer to them as “ attacks “ when none of the scientists or official bodies do , is it something to do with the some peoples need for drama in this age of hysteria .
Perhaps. Or an instinct to see the event from the point of view of the party that didn't initiate the incident. Or a viewpoint that we are humans so its reasonable that our priorities and empathies are with othr humans. But we stray into the realms of philosophy and I came to a dead end on that in my Animal Rights days ?

cherod

Visit site
Perhaps. Or an instinct to see the event from the point of view of the party that didn't initiate the incident. Or a viewpoint that we are humans so its reasonable that our priorities and empathies are with othr humans. But we stray into the realms of philosophy and I came to a dead end on that in my Animal Rights days ?
" incident " , probablly a much more representative term

FlyingGoose

Visit site
FG - I refer you to your reply to "Yawn yawn"

"Discuss the point or do not post , seems like a reasonable view of the debating world"

Your latest post - "Are you having a dig or not , make it clear and front up . Your merry dancing is as usual you way of showing your true nature.
Personally with aspergers we are known for our direct approach to situations , some people do not like it , they like there little cloak and dagger games of playground mentality I prefer head on approach it makes life so much better to live in. "

My reply to you - Take a look in the mirror! "Discuss the point or do not post , seems like a reasonable view of the debating world."
Thank you for clarification as someone who gets stalked in regards to my posts and has faced many personal insults I find my response is very conservative.
My aspergers is not your concern . I live with it but thankyou for your observations, why do you feel the need to critique my post and not the personal attacks on me, does this not show you in your true colors too . Just an Aspie thought process

Last edited:

FlyingGoose

Visit site
" incident " , probablly a much more representative term
Exactly incident, accident , are more than useful in describing these events, and to relate injuries as a deliberate attack is absurd . it seems that rudders are a intriguing part of there inquisitiveness and this unfortunately sees damage happening , as said on many posts 7 tonnes of a playful , inquisitive orca will not match with a plastic rudder.
The youtube video of the torn rudder does not show bite marks rathe it seems to have taken a hit and fractured off .
Perhaps they will dislodge a tooth an capture the culprit using dental records

differentroads

Interesting article in a Galician newspaper here (only in Spanish)
Los ataques a orcas en el Estrecho, posible causa de sus embestidas a veleros
My Spanish is a bit rough and my patience is limited with Google translate on a phone screen. But if I understand it correctly, local cetacian experts are familiar with this pod of orcas and say that two of them show signs of attacks on them by harpoons (possibly scuba fishing spears?) They say that they were attacked from a yacht (not sure if this is a known fact or merely surmised) and the Orcas are now responding with aggression to yachts which they associate with the attack on themselves. They refer to this pod being well known to fishermen and dolphin trip boats in the Straits of Gibraltar ('El Estrecho') and also state that Orcas have long memories so it could be a very long time before this behaviour subsides.

cherod

Visit site
My Spanish is a bit rough and my patience is limited with Google translate on a phone screen. But if I understand it correctly, local cetacian experts are familiar with this pod of orcas and say that two of them show signs of attacks on them by harpoons (possibly scuba fishing spears?) They say that they were attacked from a yacht (not sure if this is a known fact or merely surmised) and the Orcas are now responding with aggression to yachts which they associate with the attack on themselves. They refer to this pod being well known to fishermen and dolphin trip boats in the Straits of Gibraltar ('El Estrecho') and also state that Orcas have long memories so it could be a very long time before this behaviour subsides.
Perhaps some posters on here should be “ investigsted “

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Interesting article are those quoting this actually scientists or just watchers and recording sightings as this is a big difference,
I would find it hard to believe a person from a yatch would try and spear gun an orca , fishing boats yes.
But other local knowledge of this pod are saying it is 2 juveniles, and they are showing varying behavioral, patterns.
As j have stated in previous threads there has been a few recorded incidents of orcas ramming fishing boats when one of the pod has been caught in nets, these were determined attacks which resulted in water ingress and people getting into life rafts and in the water, were they were not harmed by the orcas
If an orca related a boat to an attack I would assume they would do more damage and prolong the attack , were as we are seeing brushing of hulls and interaction with rudders, which in their nature are weak and prone to damage even from a light touch from 4 tons of flesh

GHA

Visit site

Some more here >

Why Are Killer Whales Ramming Boats In Spain And Portugal?

However, Alfredo López, a biology professor at the Coordinator for the Study of Marine Mammals (CEMMA), in Galicia, Spain, thinks the attacks are defensive measures the orcas adopted to protect themselves against boat injuries. The researcher came to this conclusion after looking at the footage of a few incidents and noticing that two of the young killer whales involved had serious injuries. The scientist is not sure if the orcas were hurt during or before the recent boat encounters. "It's not revenge. They're just acting out as a precautionary measure." Lopez told Spanish daily newspaper, El Pais. "Our interpretation is that they don't have the slightest intention of attacking people." Hopefully, the experts will be able to find a way to restore the harmony between the animals and the humans soon.
Resources: The Guardian.com, ecowatch.com, Newsweek.com.

No mention of harpoon injuries.

Or that - "some grumpy blokes on an internet forum know more of course... " ;) ;) ;)