Spain bans sailboats due to orc attacks

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Good advice about the Algarve but I'd say ts still fine for getting down the Portugese coast, across the Bay of Cadiz and through the Gibratar Strait during October. I did so two years ago.

That said, the Rias are too lovely to rush. In the OP's shoes I'd be thinking about overwintering there. Cheap, beautiful, friendly people. Not as warm as further south and a lot wetter (think Cornwall but 5 to 10 degrees warmer.)

But the Algarve or Gib are good if you crave the company of other Brits. I don't so moved on to Andalucia.
We made the same voyage around the same time - I did a "milebuilder" taking a First 40.7 from Southampton to Malta in 2018.

My Google Photos timeline shows that I was in A Coruña on this day two years ago, and near Lisbon on the 3rd October so I'm still somewhat hopeful I can make it further south before the weather prohibits.

I left Laxe after breakfast yesterday, about 3pm, and am now on the hook at the lovely beachside anchorage of Islas Cies, Vigo, so it's now a little late for the Rias. From recommendations I'd have liked to have dedicated more time to them, and they really did meet explications, but there's always next time.

Re hauling out and living on board. Its not as widely permitted (or even understood in Spain ''¿Porque? Have you no friends?''). I've got a 2 week haulout to do this winter and I'm finding airbnb apartments already heavily discounted. By February I might be able to forego the privations of yard life for a bit of comfort in an apartment or temporary flatshare. Either way, it'll be a lot better than my last winter hauled out in a yard in Ipswich in the rain, sleet and snow, trailing mud and gravel everywhere, living in fear of electrocuting myself while grinding grp off my keel and skeg with puddles gradually reaching my feet while the cold seeped up through four layers of clothes. Urgh!
I find no hardship in being on the hard. I'm a full-time liveabord, so it's no different to any other time. I bought a boat that would be comfortable for 2 or 3 crew, before discovering how hard it is to find suitable crew, so it's reasonably spacious for one.

I got stuck in Plymouth last winter, and paying monthly rates because I refused to accept it. I'd like to schedule this winter better - hopefully enough time remains.

I spend most of my time alone, so hardly crave company, but in that respect Bruce's Yard actually sounds like it would be a pleasant holiday for me.
A great achievement though. Skippering your own boat across Biscay is a big milestone and it gets easier from there ?
Very kind of you to say. After a year of mistakes and fartarsing around, I finally feel like I'm allowed to post on Facebook again.

Oh yeah. Spoiler alert. Approaching the Gibraltar Strait and realising the mountains to the South of you are in Africa is quite a thing, espcially if you pop into the Spanish enclave of Ceuta. Tying my own boat up in Africa for the first time was certainly a big moment for me!
It was the "smell of the African desert" on my milebuilder around here that cemented my desire for a boat of my own.

cherod

Visit site
We made the same voyage around the same time - I did a "milebuilder" taking a First 40.7 from Southampton to Malta in 2018.

My Google Photos timeline shows that I was in A Coruña on this day two years ago, and near Lisbon on the 3rd October so I'm still somewhat hopeful I can make it further south before the weather prohibits.

I left Laxe after breakfast yesterday, about 3pm, and am now on the hook at the lovely beachside anchorage of Islas Cies, Vigo, so it's now a little late for the Rias. From recommendations I'd have liked to have dedicated more time to them, and they really did meet explications, but there's always next time.

I find no hardship in being on the hard. I'm a full-time liveabord, so it's no different to any other time. I bought a boat that would be comfortable for 2 or 3 crew, before discovering how hard it is to find suitable crew, so it's reasonably spacious for one.

I got stuck in Plymouth last winter, and paying monthly rates because I refused to accept it. I'd like to schedule this winter better - hopefully enough time remains.

I spend most of my time alone, so hardly crave company, but in that respect Bruce's Yard actually sounds like it would be a pleasant holiday for me.

Very kind of you to say. After a year of mistakes and fartarsing around, I finally feel like I'm allowed to post on Facebook again.

It was the "smell of the African desert" on my milebuilder around here that cemented my desire for a boat of my own.
Excellent , all best and happy / safe voyaging

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
Ye gods, you've reminded me of the smell of the herbs and scrub baked by the sun and dropped down by the cooling night just as we passed Cape St Vincent. Yeah, that was another 'stop me in my tracks moment' on my first voyage in my own boat ?

From Vigo we put out to sea SW until 10 miles off then ran two days south to Lisbon. I can recommend that route if you don't want to dawdle on your way to the Algarve. Further out than most of the fishing boats and inside the shipping lanes with only the Islas Berlingas in the way.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Ye gods, you've reminded me of the smell of the herbs and scrub baked by the sun and dropped down by the cooling night just as we passed Cape St Vincent. Yeah, that was another 'stop me in my tracks moment' on my first voyage in my own boat ?

From Vigo we put out to sea SW until 10 miles off then ran two days south to Lisbon. I can recommend that route if you don't want to dawdle on your way to the Algarve. Further out than most of the fishing boats and inside the shipping lanes with only the Islas Berlingas in the way.
Some more evocative memories, the words Its Africa! Cant beat it!

PlanB

Visit site
One thing to keep an eye on on the way down Portugal is what is happening on the east coast of the States. We came down when the aftermath of Katrina hit Portugal, and to say it was character forming was an understatement. There are few safe havens and many ports close when the swell is big.

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
One thing to keep an eye on on the way down Portugal is what is happening on the east coast of the States. We came down when the aftermath of Katrina hit Portugal, and to say it was character forming was an understatement. There are few safe havens and many ports close when the swell is big.
Good advice. Current info about what portugese harbours are open an closed is at Estado das Barras
Um, to get back to the original topic, err, watch out for Orcs! ?

FlyingGoose

Visit site
FG would call that peripheral minor damage I guess.
Midges in Scotland and ticks give more injuries and harm especially as people try and out run them , use a aerosol can as a flame thrower or trying to hit them with their badminton racquet, so a leg getting bashed on a sail boat is hardly a major injury I can safely say more injuries are had on an bank holiday sailing inthe solent
Come on peeps dramatising a leg wound caused out with the orca eating it off is subjective

cherod

Visit site
Footage from (steel ketch) Blue Horizon
(between 9 & 11 mins in) showing a similar pattern of activity to that experienced by the OP....
Thanks “ johnny “ thats about the tenth time I have seen that , only point of interest is if they were si scsred why was the girl sitting on the hand rail , one bump from the killer besst she would be in the water and the jaws if the giant man eating orcas !! Lucky girl

Beneteau381

Visit site
Midges in Scotland and ticks give more injuries and harm especially as people try and out run them , use a aerosol can as a flame thrower or trying to hit them with their badminton racquet, so a leg getting bashed on a sail boat is hardly a major injury I can safely say more injuries are had on an bank holiday sailing inthe solent
Come on peeps dramatising a leg wound caused out with the orca eating it off is subjective
Stop digging!

GHA

Visit site
Footage from (steel ketch) Blue Horizon
(between 9 & 11 mins in) showing a similar pattern of activity to that experienced by the OP....
Ta for the link. Looks like a skeg rudder from their website. Anyone know if long keel transom hung rudders have been targeted?

Looks scary but still must be amazing being so close to such majestic creatures , they seem a lot more intelligent than some that post on here ;)

sarabande

Visit site
Thanks “ johnny “ thats about the tenth time I have seen that , only point of interest is if they were si scsred why was the girl sitting on the hand rail , one bump from the killer besst she would be in the water and the jaws if the giant man eating orcas !! Lucky girl

Do take more care with your posts Cherod, old fruitbat. Your writing style and spelling reminds of a certain well-wishing whale watcher.

cherod

Visit site
Do take more care with your posts Cherod, old fruitbat. Your writing style and spelling reminds of a certain well-wishing whale watcher.
i did see the sp mistake,, i didnt think anyone would be so pedantic to bother ,, well done .

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Your such a card S , your loose insults are getting weirder by the day , if you are not man enough to spell out your negativity to a fellow forum member and use their handle , may I respectfully ask you to give us all a rest from your sly digs, it is becoming slighly repetitive and bordering on a fascination with this Dolphin loving member,
T
Remember they are dolphins not whales ,just thought I would point that out:p

Beneteau381

Visit site
You responded to me I responded back you then responded I am responding back , that's how forums work
A person gets injuries via a tiller moving as an orca hit it , 1. The orca had to intent 2. This would be called an unfortunate accident , like most injuries that are caused by car accidents.
Yawn yawn

sarabande

Visit site
Your such a card S , your loose insults are getting weirder by the day , if you are not man enough to spell out your negativity to a fellow forum member and use their handle , may I respectfully ask you to give us all a rest from your sly digs, it is becoming slighly repetitive and bordering on a fascination with this Dolphin loving member,
T
Remember they are dolphins not whales ,just thought I would point that out:p

Your egocentricity is showing: I wasn't talking to you. How very strange that suddenly your spelling and composition has improved. is someone else writing your posts again ?

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Your egocentricity is showing: I wasn't talking to you. How very strange that suddenly your spelling and composition has improved. is someone else writing your posts again ?
Are you having a dig or not , make it clear and front up . Your merry dancing is as usual you way of showing your true nature.
Personally with aspergers we are known for our direct approach to situations , some people do not like it , they like there little cloak and dagger games of playground mentality
I prefer head on approach it makes life so much better to live in.