Southerly Any Good In Heavy Weather??

LauraKatie

Visit site
Well built yachts indeed.
However i am somewhat of mixed feeling about raising keels, particularly for offshore class A yachts.
Clearly the engineering is excellent. The expense must be considerable and this is reflected in the cost of these yachts.
Any offshore experience requires a sturdy no complications yacht. My view is simple is best ans often the safer and dependable option. To many yachts loosing keels and rudders in recent years!!

Certainly for inshore class B type sailing the access advantage is certainly a consideration.
Not however in Biscay when its rather Knarly.

E39mad

Visit site
Good comment above. In my opinion however you are less likely to loose your keel in a Southerly in comparison to a modern fin keeler in the event say of hitting a container mid ocean as the keel can move backwards rather than seriously damage the keel bolts or rip the keel off.

Team Response

www.yacht-racing.co.uk
Owning a Southerly

Hi I have a 2 year old 110 tall rig version not self tacking she is a very good sea boat, have never felt unsafe on her. I had a bow thruster fitted during the lay up as retro fitted ones sit to high up, I dont use it much however comes in handy somtimes. As for handling sails like any other yacht, down wind pump the keel up will give about another .8 knot. Buggreing around under motor its a bit diffrent, because of the twin rudders you have no prop wash so you have to use the steering which is no problem with the keel part or fullly down, with the keel up she has a tendancy to slip sideways which is OK when you get used to it. When berthing I find the stern line the most important if you lose control of that you have no prop wash to kick it around. You need to be lightweight on the throtle with the keel up if not the turning circle becomes the circumference of the earth. One thing I found soon after delivery was a lot of water in the bildge, Northshore advised not to sail around in with the keel half down in heavy seas cant work out why its that way however not had any water ingress on taking this advice.
She was the first 110 home in last years Round The Island race and 4th in class and can honestly say we weren`t trying that hard.
The build quality was 99% excellent let down by a few parts looks like they bought in Argos, good luck with your 42 Cheers Kevin

snowleopard

Visit site
I am told that there is a big difference in the sailing qualities of early and late model Southerlys. I've heard some fairly disparaging remarks about the older ones but a lot of good about more recent ones. This is all 100% hearsay but it might help if you could tell us the age of the boat so those in the know can comment.

Cardo

www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk
I am told that there is a big difference in the sailing qualities of early and late model Southerlys. I've heard some fairly disparaging remarks about the older ones but a lot of good about more recent ones. This is all 100% hearsay but it might help if you could tell us the age of the boat so those in the know can comment.

This is mostly to do with the rudders, I believe. Older Southerlys with a single rudder suffered serious weather helm because the rudder had to be short so the boat could dry out. More recent models have twin rudders so don't suffer this problem.

dancrane

Visit site
One thing I found soon after delivery was a lot of water in the bilge. Northshore advised not to sail around with the keel half down in heavy seas. Can't work out why it's that way, however not had any water ingress on taking this advice.

...evidently, if Northshore knew about this water-ingress, it isn't an isolated case. A bit odd, if not worrying!

E39mad

Visit site
This is mostly to do with the rudders, I believe. Older Southerlys with a single rudder suffered serious weather helm because the rudder had to be short so the boat could dry out. More recent models have twin rudders so don't suffer this problem.

Like many boats it only suffered weather helm if over canvassed. The early boats need to be sailed more upright than some designs. The big changes came in when the keel shape changed from the triangular shape to the Rob Humphreys keel design.

The 135 was the first with the new keel in 1988 then the 115 series 2 in 1992.

Last edited:

snowleopard

Visit site
Northshore advised not to sail around in with the keel half down in heavy seas cant work out why its that way

I think the reason is that the part of the keel that is immersed when fully lowered is an aerofoil shape whereas the part that stays in the case is a tighter fit to the slot. That would mean a partly lowered keel would be a sloppy fit in the case and liable to flap about, putting strain on the pivot.

E39mad

Visit site
I think the reason is that the part of the keel that is immersed when fully lowered is an aerofoil shape whereas the part that stays in the case is a tighter fit to the slot. That would mean a partly lowered keel would be a sloppy fit in the case and liable to flap about, putting strain on the pivot.

If you've ever seen a keel/grounding plate out of a Southerly showing the engineering behind the enormous pivot pin then keel flap is something that does not effect the mark from my experience. Not all lifting keel systems are the same which is why Southerlies system is/was patented. The keel is approx one third of the ballast with the remainder in the grounding plate.

Judders

Visit site
I've d the 38 in some pretty rough conditions in the Irish Sea and she was one of the most comfortable yachts I'd ever put through similar conditions, albeit with the keel fully down!

For the purposes of context; might I ask the other what the other designs were that you are comparison the Southerly with in similar conditions?