Southerly 28 (A good starter boat?)

ithet

Visit site
A Hunter Legend is a much newer design than any Westerly . It's slightly confusing in that these Hunters with a back stayless rig have no connection to uk hunters which are much older uk made boats ( for a while though legends were made in Portland) . I suspect a more modern bilge goes to windward bettter than an elderly Westerly but a lifting keel is preferable if more expensive . Would view a few legends and at their owners site as if in the bilge keel market the newer choice is limited

I don't think the OP meant the American Hunter Legends but was referring to the small twin keel models made by Britain's Hunter Boats, these a reputedly nice sailing twin keelers with simple layouts. Another option for the OP if looking for an vice-less cruiser would be a Moody 27. The OP should probably go for something fairly mainstream as it sounds like he needs a first boat to find out what sort of boat he really wants.

Wanderer14

Visit site
Glad I could help! Really though, I'm sure you'll find a way to best my win ratio - do let us know how you do it.
Thought I would get back to you on this one, I found the problem at the end of last season, my clutch had gone completely! So when I was trying to go a stern giving it sort little blasts it was kicking in sometimes but not others, I also think it was slipping too.
Anyway I put a new clutch in over winter and it as transformed the boat, very happy!

lydiamight

Visit site
Having previously owned a Southerly 28 for many years I found that the trick to successfully reversing was to give the engine a lengthy burst of maximum revs in reverse. Once you had got some reverse water flow over the rudder things became quite easy. Gentle prods of the throttle in reverse would result in the sideways effect of the rather large three bladed prop overcoming the steering effort

Refueler

Visit site
Having previously owned a Southerly 28 for many years I found that the trick to successfully reversing was to give the engine a lengthy burst of maximum revs in reverse. Once you had got some reverse water flow over the rudder things became quite easy. Gentle prods of the throttle in reverse would result in the sideways effect of the rather large three bladed prop overcoming the steering effort

You are aware this is an old thread ? But valid post though.