Soon to start our new life

craw4d2003

Visit site
Hi Just thought I'd share this with you. We have finally sold our apartment here in Ibiza. We now plan to buy our future. We are looking at boats around 50 feet, we need a boat big enough for myself, my hubbie and 15 year old daughter to live on comfortably. Terry is a qualified marine engineer and has his RYA masters offshore licence. He intends to take all his tools with him which will take up a least one of the spare cabins. We hope to leave Ibiza and sail to the caribbean in October this year stopping off at various places in the med and spending a couple of weeks exploring the canaries, then to sail around for a year or until we fall in love with somewhere and decide to stay, funds allowing of course. Terry will be doing any engineering work that is available, but the long term plan is to do charter work. My daughter and I don't have any experience in sailing, although I have lived on a couple of boats before she was born, so it is going to be a very big adventure for us all. We plan to learn as much about sailing before we leave Ibiza and are very excited about our upcoming new life. Let me know if there is anyone out there who has done or is planning on doing anything similar.

Blueboatman

Visit site
Hi Nomad,Great adventure.
A competent and reliable diesel mechanic in the caribbean-with all those charter fleets to maintain?They will bite his arm off.Loads of other work for you too,grapevine and anchorage vhf chat will sort you all out.
In an earlier thread you asked about Gulfstars-I am rather skathing I'm afraid ,there is so much big cheap US rubbish out there,that will swallow every hard earned penny or dollar or peso! There's a lot of very good stuff too of course and I am reluctant to advise.

craw4d2003

Visit site
Lots of work - thats exactly what we are hoping for. As for the Gulfstar, we have changed our mind and are looking at a Colvic 50, not pretty but very roomy, lots of space for tools and a generator etc. We can't wait although we will probably be here for another 12 months it will give us lots of time to get the boat in order, Terry will be very busy installing the generator and teaching me and Sammy how to become competant at sea.

craw4d2003

Visit site
Hi have just looked at your website, it sounds wonderfull. We too have a cocker spaniel who will be coming with us. What tips can you offer, have you had any problems with taking him ashore? do you have an email address that I can contact you on to swap advice. I am very concerned that Taz can come everywhere with us when we get to the caribbean. Would really love to hear how you are coping with a dog on board. Poor Taz doesn't have a clue how soon her life is going to be turned upside down. But not taking her is not an option. I'm sure you feel the same.