some questions about Portugal

JumbleDuck

Visit site
with the income tax question it was more that I'd likely still be working online remotely for a UK company, so I wasn't sure what the situation would be
That may depend on the company. My own employers will only take on staff resident in the UK or Ireland. We had quite a few in the rest of Europe, all of whom had their contracts ended a few years back.

Sailfree

Visit site
Marceline,

My son works remotely. He just needs a good computer connection.

I have had a house built in a small village slightly inland called Carvalhal. I have just signed the contract with Vodafone for Internet fibre optic connection of 500MB for €37 I had a similar offer from Meo.

Same speed as I had previously in the bigger town of Nazare.

One of the good things about Portugal it has one of the more comprehensive fibre optic systems plus one of the best road system (many are toll roads) in Europe.

Providing you can work remotely but still have a UK business address and UK bank account I can see no difficulty your physical location being Portugal.

For residency showing a history of transferring money from UK on a regular basis to a Portuguese account would be sufficient - after all the payments might just be your monthly allowance from your rich daddy!

Last edited:

Marceline

Visit site
Thanks Sailfree - cheers for the helpful info and didn't know that about the fibre (currently renting and working from home in Cheshire with just 1 bar on a 4g router as no landline here- so anything above that is a welcome boon !) :)

So guess I'd just need to keep my uk bank account for my UK work to be paid in and taxed, and apply for a Portugesse bank account to then transfer the funds each month. We've got our UK address sorted (parents helping when we leave our rental in about 4 months) so hopefully that should be allowable under the various rules

Sailfree

Visit site
Thanks Sailfree - cheers for the helpful info and didn't know that about the fibre (currently renting and working from home in Cheshire with just 1 bar on a 4g router as no landline here- so anything above that is a welcome boon !) :)

So guess I'd just need to keep my UK bank account for my UK work to be paid in and taxed, and apply for a Portugesse bank account to then transfer the funds each month. We've got our UK address sorted (parents helping when we leave our rental in about 4 months) so hopefully that should be allowable under the various rules

When we first visited Portugal to consider buying there in January 2016 and before we had the internet connected we were pleasantly surprised to find that nearly every Cafe and Restaurant also has fast free WiFi. Downside is that Portugal is a football made country and most bars and cafes and many restaurants have TVs at each end showing Football (usually with little or no sound). We did our reconnoitre by car in 2 wks and later sailed our boat to Nazare some 18months later but if you are buying a boat you can do it sailing! Obviously you can only get fibre optic internet in a permenent address. On the boat we use a mobile router €50 to buy and €1 a day. This was adequate to stream films etc. CORRECTION -Just noticed that in previous post I quote €37 for 500MB internet but that also include some 140 TV channels and Amazon Prime Video.

Algarve is roughly 30% dearer than Silver Coast but hotter but still much cheaper cost of living than UK.

Before our first visit I made posted on IIRC the lounge asking for info - many made contact and were incredibly helpful - During out initial tour of Portugal "Lisbon - Nazare - N to Porto then S to Algarve then back to Nazare - Lisbon (to check that we were happy where we were relocating to ) we met a few of the people that had kindly spent time posting info. the YBW forums are great sources of information as are many ex-pat websites. One we use a lot is "silver coast our home" its not just limited to silver coast info but a lot regarding living in Portugal.

Good luck.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Marceline,

My son works remotely. He just needs a good computer connection.

I have had a house built in a small village slightly inland called Carvalhal. I have just signed the contract with Vodafone for Internet fibre optic connection of 500MB for €37 I had a similar offer from Meo.

Same speed as I had previously in the bigger town of Nazare.

One of the good things about Portugal it has one of the more comprehensive fibre optic systems plus one of the best road system (many are toll roads) in Europe.

Providing you can work remotely but still have a UK business address and UK bank account I can see no difficulty your physical location being Portugal.

For residency showing a history of transferring money from UK on a regular basis to a Portuguese account would be sufficient - after all the payments might just be your monthly allowance from your rich daddy!

Wifi in Portugal is good and most marinas have free wifi, that can get very overloaded during busy daylight hours.

Again, to be specific, our main source of wifi is Marina de Lagos. We use a range booster and this enables use to watch real-time TV using VPN. Our other sources are a mifi and 2 smart phones. All on UK contracts with 3. 3 has advised that whatever the outcome of Brexit, they will continue to provide roaming at the same prices.

Each phone has 30GB per month in the UK costing £18 per month and the mifi has an unlimited contract in the UK again costing £18 per month.

When overseas all of these contracts are limited to 20GB, giving us 60GB per month.

When using 3 it is possible to watch UK TV with out using VPN.

Because we spend up to 6 months in the UK each year, this setup suites us fine.

Visit site
In Portugal and certainly in the Algarve, Portuguese who speak good English are more employable (I wonder why ??) so they will take every opportunity to improve their English and demonstrate their prowess.

Can make it difficult for us to practice our Portuguese?
I try to be tolerant but in most cases my Portuguese is better than their English, in fact in many cases my Portuguese vocabulary is greater even if the accent is Lancashire rather than Cascais :)

Visit site
When we first visited Portugal to consider buying there in January 2016 and before we had the internet connected we were pleasantly surprised to find that nearly every Cafe and Restaurant also has fast free WiFi. Downside is that Portugal is a football made country and most bars and cafes and many restaurants have TVs at each end showing Football (usually with little or no sound). We did our reconnoitre by car in 2 wks and later sailed our boat to Nazare some 18months later but if you are buying a boat you can do it sailing! Obviously you can only get fibre optic internet in a permenent address. On the boat we use a mobile router €50 to buy and €1 a day. This was adequate to stream films etc. CORRECTION -Just noticed that in previous post I quote €37 for 500MB internet but that also include some 140 TV channels and Amazon Prime Video.

Algarve is roughly 30% dearer than Silver Coast but hotter but still much cheaper cost of living than UK.

Before our first visit I made posted on IIRC the lounge asking for info - many made contact and were incredibly helpful - During out initial tour of Portugal "Lisbon - Nazare - N to Porto then S to Algarve then back to Nazare - Lisbon (to check that we were happy where we were relocating to ) we met a few of the people that had kindly spent time posting info. the YBW forums are great sources of information as are many ex-pat websites. One we use a lot is "silver coast our home" its not just limited to silver coast info but a lot regarding living in Portugal.

Good luck.
There is great price range within the Algarve, Move away from the coast if you want lower prices in many things including property, although boating is a bit more restricted :unsure:

canoeman

Visit site
In Portugal and certainly in the Algarve, Portuguese who speak good English are more employable (I wonder why ??) so they will take every opportunity to improve their English and demonstrate their prowess.

Can make it difficult for us to practice our Portuguese?

Is that why after 18 years you are still not fluent❓