Solent - solid/multifuel/propane heater - seeking installation expertise

Hambleton

Visit site
I'm looking for an additional, non-engine reliant heater for my steel ketch. My head is overfull with options and I'd love to have someone come aboard who's done a fair few and can see what would be the most beneficial installation. Most people who do this stuff seem to be up north in canal boats. is there anyone down here with solid fuel heating know-how?

Also interested in any used small heaters for sale.

William_H

Visit site
I can't help you even slightly except to bump the post. However assuming you don't want a ducted remote diesel heater with fan (Eberspacher etc) then you are looking for a mini pot belly type stove heater. This will need to be mounted low on a bulkhead with a chimney (flue) above it. You do need to get the combustion gases out of the boat. from there you can look at a solid fuel type or I think I would go diesel fuel. From one with no experience of boat heating. First week of winter and still reaching 24 degrees most days this week. olewill

Hambleton

Visit site
Thanks - already have an Eber and don't fancy another diesel heater, but something with atmos - seen lots of boat suitable options - something would have to be sacrificed inside, eg chart table, hence request for an experienced installer to intelligently advise on best fit. prefer to utilise existing deck vents if poss.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
In the seventies we extended our canal boating to all year by installing an Exchange and Mart-there is history for you- very small Chinese Cast Iron pot belly stove from an advertiser in boats. Mounted on a paving slab and with a proper cast iron air space chimney pipe it worked well.

It was really cheap at the time when money was short, about £25.00.

It produced good heat for a small space, would-only just-stay in all night and was fairly fuel efficient. Downside was the dirt.

I would go for a Dickenson or Refleks.

Been very tempted myself, but First Mate and I winter in New Zealand so more than our webasto is not needed.