Solent Marinas

Capt_Scarlet

Visit site
I'm thinking about moving from a swinging tidal mooring to a 'cheap' marina in the solent area.

My boat is 9m LOA, 1.6m draft, triple keel, and I would be content with tidal access.

Any suggestions for marinas to try and any indications of typical cost would be much appreciated.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ivy

Visit site
The words "Cheap" & "Solent" don't realy go well together, especialy when you are refering to marina's.
I know of someone that left the Solent and moved to Spain. still in a marina, but the money saved bought a lot of flights each year and there are no tides to worry about.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
A good few years ago I kept a similar yacht at Kemp's Yard on the Itchen in Southampton. Mud berth on a pontoon, half-tide access, about half the price of the Hamble marinas then, unwelcoming but fine once in. No idea what it's now like. Contact details: Quayside Rd, Southampton, Hampshire. SO18 1BZ, tel: 02380-632323.

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site
The Solent marinas vary considerably in price. Take for example the MDL marinas - the dearest is Hamble point, due to it's location just inside the Hamble. Then you have Port Hamble a bit cheaper, and Mercury cheaper still because they are further up the river, and further away from the Solent's cruising grounds.

Hythe Marina is less than than all the Hamble marinas and also Ocean Village (due no doubt to it's 24 hour access lock, which is in my view a real safety/security bonus), and Shamrock Quay less than any of them.

Can't be really sure about the costs for a 9 metre boat, but at least you would come in under the 10.9 metre banding price hike. I would guess that Hythe would be around £3000 for your size, but you would need to telephone them to confirm.

Further West you have the horrendously expensive Lymington (Berthon) Marina, and the slightly less so Lymington Yacht Haven (though I believe both have waiting lists.

Further up the Itchen there are some other marinas, but their location and 'ambiance' are not so good (but no doubt less expensive than any on the MDL bunch).

The security in Hythe is excellant, with their new colour CCTV cameras able to zoom in close enough to see what newspaper you are reading whilst in the cockpit (no doubt their Xmas video would be worth seeing!!), and 24 hour security patrols.

Why not give Dave Wilson (Hythe's Manager) a call to give you a quote. Hythe really is an enchanting and top quality marina.

Good luck whatever you decide.

<hr width=100% size=1>

andy_wilson

Visit site
Hythe Marina

It's a couple of years since I visited Hythe, but each visit reminded me that the town itself has a fantastic weekend night life, really buzzing, especially when the pubs turn out and everyone heads for the last ferry home.

The apron of the marina makes a great sound when the 17 year olds driving mums Corsa lean on the skinny tyres round the corners and make 'em 'ave it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

smb

Visit site
We kept our 38ft Voyager in Southsea marina for a season and were quite comfortable apart from the tidal access which, with limited time available for sailing, was a bit of a frustration for us.

I know it's stretching 'The Solent' a bit but it was a sensible price at the time - don't know if that has changed now Premier Marinas have bought it.

Steve

<hr width=100% size=1>

andrewbarker

Visit site
Depends what you really want from a marina berth. I went from Quay Lane in Portsmouth Harbour (really, really cheap) to Kemps (fairly cheap although not much service for your money IMHO) to Town Quay Southampton (Fairly cheap, good location but can't park easily & I think it's full).
All these a fraction of MDLs etc.

<hr width=100% size=1>

burgundyben

Visit site
try deacons no the hamble, think tister ken is there, there is space and prices are ok ish plus easy access to M27

<hr width=100% size=1>Sod the Healey - I think I'll buy an E-Type.

FlyingSpud

Visit site
I wouldn’t be so sure how long your boat is. You may find she can ‘grow’ in certain marinas

I used to be in an MDL Marina with my old boat, and while I think they provided a quality service (at a price), one of the less endearing aspects was how they measured a boat. Basically they take it from the very front of the pulpit to, if you have one, the back of a transom-hung rudder. In this way they managed to add more than 10% to what I thought the length of my old boat was with a corresponding hike in fees.

Pat

<hr width=100% size=1>

andyball

Visit site
So if your neighbour in a marina has a boat that takes up the same space as yours, but has no pulpit & the rudder is tucked away.....you want to pay less than him ?

How should marinas measure boats?

<hr width=100% size=1>

FlyingSpud

Visit site
1. Captain Scarlet, like most of us, says his boat is 9M LOA and therefore, when looking at prices tends to work on that when calculating prices based on length. Shock horror when the bill comes in with VAT at say 15/20% more. So I think the warning is fair, don’t you?

2. Not all marinas do this, the place I was in before just worked on LOA

3. It seemed odd that the chargeable length changes with a transom hung rudder by moving the tiller! Why base it on the tiller being amidships rather than tied to one side?

4. Why do Marina’s change by length anyway, logically, it makes more sense to be based on beam ?

Pat

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
I do'nt think it should be based on boat size at all but on the size of berth wanted. I know where I am that there are a lot smaller boats in the same size of berth paying less .. its just not fair! Alternatively if you're really crap at manovring you could pay for a bigger berth .. think its time the whole rationale was looked at!

Think ABC ... area of berth costing needs to be applied.

<hr width=100% size=1>

andyball

Visit site
agree about best to charge for berth size...seems common in Netherlands + some med.berths

Re Flying spud: what the devil is loa if not actual length overall? You seem to be suggesting that it excludes pulpits,rudders etc. If they're going to base it on length, surely loa is fairest?

<hr width=100% size=1>

FlyingSpud

Visit site
I agree about the charging by the berth size, it makes more sense

Are you saying that the loa claimed for boats includes a rudder at its greatest extent on a transom and the angle outward of a pulpit? If so, I have to disagree.

<hr width=100% size=1>