Solent locations for Twin Keel overnight stay dry-outs??

Airscrew

Visit site
Not for maintainance. We have that covered.

Enjoyable locations for pleasure.
We've tried the obvious, such as East Head (packed, never again, thanks), and Dell Quay.

Looking for other ideas/suggestions.
I probably know most of the locations.
Its the experiences and practicalities and/or issues to be aware of in advance that I hope you can share.

Need,
firm flat bed
no or little waves
quiet location
good views
walk ashore
good walks nearby, and/or good pubs

Any thoughts to share??
Thanks.

matt1

Visit site
Bembridge, Ryde (if you walk to sea view) Newport (handy for the town). I used to anchor off Island Harbour when I couldn’t get in to Cowes, nice and flat on the West Bank there. Newtown. Keyhaven

Sharky34

Visit site
Not for maintainance. We have that covered.

Enjoyable locations for pleasure.
We've tried the obvious, such as East Head (packed, never again, thanks), and Dell Quay.

Looking for other ideas/suggestions.
I probably know most of the locations.
Its the experiences and practicalities and/or issues to be aware of in advance that I hope you can share.

Need,
firm flat bed
no or little waves
quiet location
good views
walk ashore
good walks nearby, and/or good pubs

Any thoughts to share??
Thanks.
Keyhaven.

ashtead

Visit site
Y
Ou can park a westerly bilge Keeler in priory bay if you become bored in Bembridge. I also suspect Fishbourne creek and Newport quay are fine as said although Newport might be rather noisy if any road works were ever ongoing. . Just past lee on Solent I recall a small drying harbour and some wildlife park ? You might look at the Solent cruising companion by Derek Aslett for ideas?

C08

Visit site
Bosham is nice. Also some of the sailing clubs have pontoons that visitors can use, such as Hardway and Fareham up Portsmouth Harbour and Marchwood up Southampton water. The Royal Vic SC at Wooton Bridge have a good pontoon but the ferries may disturb sleep if you are a light sleeper.

Airscrew

Visit site
Thanks for all these suggestions.

Tightwad is interesting and new to me, and Ive orderd Ahslett.
Thanks.

Keyhaven is just mud, and I cant think where in Newtown would be walkashore.

Are there any TwinKeelers out there with specific experiences, good and bad??

TernVI

Visit site
To be fair, most places in the Solent, if you want 'walk ashore', then your wellies better be deeper than your keel(s).
Christchurch?

Allergy

Live in East London, UK. Boat in Portsmouth Harbou
Visit site
Thanks for all these suggestions.

Tightwad is interesting and new to me, and Ive orderd Ahslett.
Thanks.

Are there any TwinKeelers out there with specific experiences, good and bad??
Look at the website of Fareham Marina (ideal for bilge keelers0 walk-ashore/shore power & water. Castle in the Air pub & short walk to Fareham town center. I have used it for winter berthing for several years. Also Portsmouth Marine Engineering (next to Fareham Marina) ditto facilities.About an hour up from Portsmouth Harbour entrance. Hope this helps

Stemar

Visit site
You can dry out alongside the Hardway SC pontoon, floating in deep gloopy mud, which means quite big fins can dry there too. Friendly club, decent, cheap bar (Covid permitting). Water on the pontoon, but no leccy.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
As others have said, your specification of a firm beach surface, not gloopy mud, is restrictive. With a bilge keeler you tend to need to use the tender to get to shore, even if dried out.
Unless of course you are dried out at the end of a pontoon or against a wall....
+1 for the Tightwad sailor, very knowledgeable and comprehensive

Last edited:

FairweatherDave

Visit site
To put my reply in perspective, having had a bilge keeler or lifting centreplate boat for maybe 15 years....
We are based in Chichester harbour.....East head is excellent for drying out, just don't do it on a summer weekend heatwave. Best place for it "in" the Solent.
Bembridge (beach to port just inside entrance, it gets flatter towards the sailing club end......need to use a kedge too). Excellent.
There are patches of rock in Priory Bay, do some research before drying out there, and when you float/settle it can feel a bit bumpy on hard sand, so not my favourite. I've dried out in plenty of places but always surrounded by mud. Dell Quay a good example and well worth a visit. It is frustrating being dried out and not being able to get to shore. Also you can end up waiting forever to refloat (a week :) ), so sometimes drying out needs to be avoided if you want to get home before dark.

Pete7

Visit site

Au contraire, go up to Keyhaven and the quay and dry out along side. The photos on Visit My Harbour are of my bilge keeler. I am actually sat on the drying grid, but the end of the quay is flat gravel. Speak to Roy the river warden when you arrive. Power and water available on the quay.

Keyhaven : Vistimyharbour.com Photo Gallery HTML

Airscrew

Visit site
Pete, that is very useful.
Thanks.

Exactly the guidance/info I was looking for.
Saves a long drive to check it out in advance.

My comment re mud is behind the spit at the mouth.
Deep mud and stones infact, as we punctured the dingy there.

I have to say that the NFDC wardens have been very friendly and helpful when we have visited the outer end of Keyhaven previously.
Roy is the man...

seadog30

Visit site
Pete, that is very useful.
Thanks.

Exactly the guidance/info I was looking for.
Saves a long drive to check it out in advance.

My comment re mud is behind the spit at the mouth.
Deep mud and stones infact, as we punctured the dingy there.

I have to say that the NFDC wardens have been very friendly and helpful when we have visited the outer end of Keyhaven previously.
Roy is the man...

Hi

The Quay at Keyhaven is good and if you draw 1.5 Mtrs or less you will not dry out at low on the end, the side is a scrub berth (but very muddy due to lack of dredge. However you must ring the river warden first and make sure that you do not block up the fishing boats unloading.
The pub 100yds away is good, the boatyard is very helpful and the vilage is only a 15 min walk for stores.

By the way the old River Warder Roy has now retired.

Regards - Seadog.