Solent diesel prices - it pays to shop around

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Price for 300 litres+ in Lymington Yacht Haven on Saturday was 40p a litre, price in Hamble later the same day varied from 49p to 54p! How can they justify 20-30% more?

BrendanS

Visit site
Depends where they are getting their fuel from, how long it's been lying in the tanks since they bought the last load (they can't discount to todays prices if they bought a month ago)
I asked the Lymington Berthon crowd a couple of years ago why they had gone from being among most expensive in Solent, to being cheaper than Yarmouth for petrol. Yarmouth historically having been cheapest petrol in Solent guaranteed.

They had changed from regular supplier, to direct from Fowley refinery! Put a price war on in the area for a good few years.

If they have bought at last months prices, and someone else has negotiated a discount for this month, don't expect everyone to drop prices until they have got rid of last load, and renegotiated their new load.

BrendanS

Visit site
the converse applies. If they buy in small amounts, they have to pay more at source. Then run the risk of running out. I know how frustrating it is when waterside fuel berths run out! In which case I'd rather they filled the tanks up and I paid a few pence above the odds for them to balance their books.

Hurricane

Visit site
Does anyone have the phone number for Lymington fuel.
I'm empty at the moment and fancy a trip out during the week.
I'd like to give them a call before I set off
Might save me nearly £150ish

BrendanS

Visit site
What is sad, is that there was a fantastic site to give up to date fuel costs by fuel type, and no one updated it frequently enough, despite many requests here. You only had to click on a map to see fuel costs by type for an area. No input, they gave up as far too much work without help of input from others.

duncan

Visit site
whilst that's always a factor for many, especially those with significant comercial customers, the margin is fixed and the price reflects the price they have paid - going both up and down in the same way.

Visit site
Re: Solent diesel prices

[ QUOTE ]
there was a fantastic site to give up to date fuel costs [ QUOTE ]

Agreed, most useful - and that was in my raggie days!
Is the Fuel Forum also failing due to lack of input?
Que faire?

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Fuel forum

http://www.ybw.com/forums/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/Fuel

Just nosed in there and there is recent activity. Know it's not comprehensive but if we saw more input in then it would become worthwhile to try to organise it a little better (all of which sounds chicken and egg but there you are).

Meantime please ensure you put location in the post body and headline so that searches uncover it.

golf

Visit site
Re: Fuel forum

Upton marina .. since as far as i can remember ,, 63 p per litre .. can any one beat that for profiteering ? Now owned by tingdene .dread to think what will happen to mooring fees next year