Solent Berth

Switch

Visit site
I'm considering moving to another marina next year, nothing wrong with the marina I'm in (Haslar), just looking for a change of scenery as I've been there for five years now. I'd also like to reduce my mooring costs while I'm at it...

I've contacted most of the Solent marinas (most of whom are owned by Premier or MDL or similar) and prices are very similar between them according to location. So, I was thinking; is there anybody out there in forum land who has a private mooring that they won't be using next year (1st April onwards) that they'd be prepared to rent out. My boat is 42ft with a draft of 1.0m. I'd prefer a marina berth (walk ashore) but I'd consider a mid-river pontoon if the price was attractive enough. It doesn't need to be in the Solent (for the purposes of this post I'm including as far east as Chichester as the Solent). I'd also consider further west Weymouth, Brixham, Dartmouth etc.

I should mention that I've looked at the 'Berth Finder' section of this website so you don't need to refer me there.

Thanks for any feedback.

Talulah

Visit site
Likewise seriously considering moving out of Premier Gosport.
I like Gosport and the team there but Clipper Ventures are moving in to the old On Deck offices together with the 12 new clipper boats.
I think this is a good thing for Gosport as a whole. The local pubs/eateries should certainly benefit including the Boat House Cafe on site.
However, whilst in the Premier email to existing berth holders they state
"Parking facilities at the marina will also be carefully managed to protect Berth Holder car parking and as part of that process, Premier is creating 52 dedicated parking spaces for Clipper Race crew."
I read this as 52 spaces are being taken away from berth holders and there is nothing to stop Clipper Crew from overflowing the 52 spaces. At 18 crew per boat that's 216 extra people arriving on a friday night. Assuming half of the clients (and clients for theory courses) arrive by car that's an extra 100 cars in the car park at weekends.
Secondly, Premier will install Portacabin showers/toilets as the ones in the main block clearly won't be sufficient. But reading between the lines this is a downgrade of facilities for existing berth holders.
The site certainly has potential for overflow parking and the facilities (albeit Portakabins) will meet some of the new demands I just think that for the money it could be worth a change whilst things settle down.

Just doing some basic sums on facilities:
Assuming 200 Clipper Crew want showers on the Saturday morning between 7am and 8.30am and each crew member is allocated 10 minutes you would need 22 showers. The existing shower facilities don't cope in season with the current levels so that's a quite a few Portakabins needed. Extra Portakabins means less parking spaces.

Last edited:

Glyn-2008

Visit site
Thanks Paul, but I don't think I could put up with the bridge restrictions (I think that's why you left wasn't it?)

42ft boat for less than £3k per year at Hayling Yacht company. But, if you cant put up with the low bridge at Swanwick, I doubt you'll put up with the tidal restrictions or the mud berthing on Hayling Island. However, our Princess 41 is not unhappy with lying in the mud for 16 hours a day and probably safer doing that than being afloat in all the high winds lately..

Last edited:

stelican

Visit site
Have you considered East Cowes Marina cheaper and I can get £500 off your first years berthing fees .
Central to the Solent no Hamble Scramble berth hoders throw some pretty good parties .
Tim
Hi Tim
Problems is you have to factor in £80 Red Funnel costs
There are some good deals on North Island up to 50% discount
Been on Cowes Harbour commission list 7 yrs and still waiting! can you help?

rjcoles

Visit site
You think thats a deal, No way!

Try Island Harbour, lower rates than all the others, gourmet burger from Island cows, cup of tea from the harbourmaster if you are good, plus a free water taxi from the Cowes Redjet....

timgriffin

www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Hi Tim
Problems is you have to factor in £80 Red Funnel costs
There are some good deals on North Island up to 50% discount
Been on Cowes Harbour commission list 7 yrs and still waiting! can you help?

Lol
Lots offerscoming your way Shepherds is always full so you will be waiting a long while yet.
Island Harbour is nice but you have to negotiate the lock gates and is not access all tides.
Ferries offer bulk discount on tickets .
Moorings fees at ECM i believe is cheaper compared to the popular marinas in England , so ferries not a problem £500 quid towards your fuel/ ferry costs in the first year.
Dont have to travel down Southampton water to get to the Solent so saving on fuel.
Nice places to visit over here if weather bound.
Also we welcome the English over here and are very laid back
Tim

Last edited: