Solar Panel

G

I have a solar panel 14 watts and I want to connect it to two 110 Amps leisure batteries. I dont want to buy expensive controllers etc. I think that the only thing that I need is to put one or two diodes to ensure that the current does not flow back into the solar panel at nigh. I am correct ? If so, can I buy diodes from High Street stores like Maplin and what do I ask for?. How do I connect them? Many Thanks in advance.

salamicollie

Visit site
Normally solar panels are supplied with a blocking diode (it is sometimes potted inside the connection to the panel) to stop your batteries discharging into the solar panel at night- check with the manufacturer. If you need to source one you need a diode that will rated for 20v and 2A

With a 14W unit you may be at the limit for charging without a regulator for a 220 Ah battery - if it is used to top up the batts over the week, don't be suprised if the voltage reaches 15 - 16V in bright sunlight. Unisolar reccmnd a cell not more than 1.5% of the batt cap - so you should be OK

Shanty

Visit site
If your panels don't already have blocking diodes, go to Maplins or whoever, and ask for Schottky diodes. Why? Because all diodes will introduce a voltage drop into the circuit. Schottky diodes produce about half the drop of conventional diodes. Won't matter too much in bright midday sun, but will make a difference in more marginal conditions. The Schottky diodes are about twice the price, but, hey you can afford it (10p as against 5p from memory).

billskip

Visit site
there are other threads on this..and one that gives a supplier for regulators..less than £30 i think..your going to spend a couple of quid on diodes etc..i think its worth getting a regulator..could save a forget to disconect/overcharge mistake...unless you get your batteries free..I made same inquiry.and opted for regulator...best of luck..

Bill
www.aegeansailing.co.uk

www.macsyachting.com

ccscott49

Visit site
With a 14watt panel, I don't think you will have any trouble with overcharging, just leave a light on in the boat if you are worried about it, but 14 watts is not a very big panel for 220 amp hour batteries. Especially in the UK

onenyala

Visit site
I have had an 18 watt solar panel charging two baterries in parallel (80amph and 110 amph) for about four years. It has never been disconnected and is not fitted with a regulator - only a blocking diode which as one other correspondent states is built into the panel. The SG of the batteries is always very healthy.
Stuart Jones