Soft shackle

flaming

Visit site
I make them whilst watching TV in the evening. Been experimenting with soft shackles integrated into strops. Made a couple to test, will see if they work!

flaming

Visit site
I’ve got LFRs spliced into strops for my barber haulers, that has worked well.
Yep, what we do too. I had great fun splicing up my inhauler system. We run it off one tail, so that both sides adjust the same. Getting 2 dynema lines with an eye splice in both ends to be exactly the same length was more challenging than I'd anticipated...

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Yep, what we do too. I had great fun splicing up my inhauler system. We run it off one tail, so that both sides adjust the same. Getting 2 dynema lines with an eye splice in both ends to be exactly the same length was more challenging than I'd anticipated...
When a very small error would screw it all up, yes. We have that system on the XOD, in 3mm. It took a while to get both sides the same, or so close it couldn’t be measured, rather.

Neeves

Visit site
I’ve got LFRs spliced into strops for my barber haulers, that has worked well.
I strip the outer cover off retired dyneema sheets and halyards for this very application. Based on a suggestion here I use the covers for fenders, sail ties and tie downs on a roof rack

You only need so many Barber hauls and after that I struggle to find applications.

There is no doubt splicing is very therapeutic and addictive (its the marine equivalent to knitting or crocheting) - so much so that people do, as I do, and are constantly searching for applications.

Its interesting knitting is only for grandmothers but splicing is for real men (who would not be seen crocheting) - even though both demand the same sort of skills.

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
I do use retired dyneema rope, halyards (as they are long enough) as shore lines. They have no elasticity - but that does not matter if there is elasticity somewhere else in your 'docking' arrangement, the catenary in the rode, or if you other shore lines are nylon.

I've also used retired dyneema halyards as a mixed rode, with chain. Depending on its size, diameter, its as strong, or stronger, than the chain. The outer sheath protects it from abrasion - but you do need to make sure you have elasticity, a snubber, or catenary from the chain, in your system.

For multihulls that can dry out setting a web of anchors allows you to sit stationary through high tides and retired halyards make excellent rodes - when you don't want to move, or not move much, at high tide.

Jonathan

Last edited:

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Dame Melba, an Australian, was a singer held in high regard, hence the 'Dame'. I'm sure she would have been described by some, at the time, as a peach.

Jonathan
Indeed! Not only are Melba toast and Peach Melba named after her, they were created for her.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I bought some as I thought it might be a good idea. I'm still looking for an application where I could use them . I don't have the courage to use them for halyards . Not that they don't have the strength but the fear of coming undone.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I bought some as I thought it might be a good idea. I'm still looking for an application where I could use them . I don't have the courage to use them for halyards . Not that they don't have the strength but the fear of coming undone.
We use 'em all over the place and haven't had one come undone - I have had a stainless shackle come apart once.

noelex

Visit site
Some very neat work there! Much better than anything I'm doing. I'm intrigued as to what the first one is for though?
Thanks. It is a low friction ring connected to a HMWPE loop. The loop can be quickly attached with a cow hitch. I think the one pictured in post #46 was made as a barber hauler for our previous yacht.

The Bullseye weave to retain low friction rings was developed by my wife. It is very easily constructed and eliminates the risk of the ring slipping out of place with variable load, and importantly avoids the issues of the huge loads at the throat when a tight throat angle is needed to retain the ring. The weave can be made while constructing a loop or soft shackle for a single ring, or in a finished loop to join two low friction rings.

Below is a picture of a couple of miniature versions showing how they are cow hitched in this case to a pad-eye, but they can also be attached to any opening such as our toe rails, bollards, sail tracks, the end of the boom or even a handrail. We use larger versions as barber haulers and to provide a fairlead to our snubber and sometimes our jib sheet.

You_Doodle_2024-07-23T12_06_22Z.jpeg

Neeves

Visit site
Same here. This includes applications such attaching the snubber to the chain where the load cycles off and on.
If you use small chain, in our case 6mm, and maybe 8mm (in the dark and rain) then threading the soft shackle through a link is not so easy.

Most chain hooks, or devices can be attached with one hand.

Jonathan