Soft shackle

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Seems pretty pointless, you'd need to be pretty clueless to fit a soft shackle that can come undone - they just don't. Why set up a boat for people who don't know anything - where would you stop? 🤔
I know one person who has several boats, including quite a powerful motor boat, who appears not to know anything. He’’s a walking, floating disaster area. I don’t know how to stop that, let alone where.🤣 I’m quite sure his soft shackles would come undone, if he knew what they were.

zoidberg

Visit site
Seems pretty pointless, you'd need to be pretty clueless to fit a soft shackle that can come undone - they just don't. Why set up a boat for people who don't know anything - where would you stop? 🤔
That's a fair point. 'Thinwater' raised the problem on #76, and this thread is really about kicking around problems and ideas....
I'm not quite ready to include 'Thinwater' in the group of 'pretty clueless'. :)

GHA

Visit site
That's a fair point. 'Thinwater' raised the problem on #76, and this thread is really about kicking around problems and ideas....
I'm not quite ready to include 'Thinwater' in the group of 'pretty clueless'. :)
No one actually said anything about thinwater being anything, not sure where you got that one from. He had a few come undone when put on by inexperienced crew, in the post you mentioned. if someone can`t put on a soft shackle don't think I'd trust them to put on the kettle on a boat...... hardly rocket science & they just don't come undone.

zoidberg

Visit site
This from AliExpress:

53888847730_e374ca091b_z.jpg

I'll just leave it here, without comment.

Neeves

Visit site
This from AliExpress:

53888847730_e374ca091b_z.jpg

I'll just leave it here, without comment.
I'll comment

At a UTS of 17t these are amazingly cheap - and a bit big for most yachts owned by people here.

Its odd that there is an enormous market for soft shackles on yachts but virtually all the soft shackles from China are for 4x4 recovery (with the big LFRs). For a 4x4 once you have your recovery kit you don't need to buy again (but soft shackles on yachts find increasing uses, and are some, being quite small, will be lost).

I'm waiting for the Chinese to change their focus and we see a flood of advertising for small soft shackles and even mixed bags (with equally pretty colours).

Afaik all LFRs, the smaller ones come from China (cheap as chips), available for yachting, arborists and microlights etc, - maybe soft shackles will become the next big thing.

Jonathan